• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Please help me select a medication.

C

Caeber

Hey you all. This is my first time here and the first time that I am seriously considering medication. Obviously my doctor will have final say over what I take but I would really like some input from you all based on your experiences so that I can discuss some options with them.

Given my financial situation the doctors I have to choose from are not ... lets just say they lack incentive and I'm afraid I will just wind up on the flavor-of-the-month medicine regardless of my condition.

I'm just over 50 years old and have had anxiety most of my life. It is usually manageable but my constant worry has created a situation where I am only sleeping maybe 4 or 5 hours a night and I really need help.

I am new to anxiety medication so I was hoping I could get some recommendations based on the following (probably going to be an SSRI but doesn't have to be):

• My main issue is constant worry (mostly about health).
  • Would like a medicine with low risk of causing depression.
  • I don't drink or smoke.
  • Non-addictive (to whatever extent possible).
  • Very low long-term side effects.
  • Is there a training-wheels medicine? One that is perhaps the weakest and best tolerated that might be a good starter choice?

I did try an SSRI maybe 20 years ago and after a week or so it made my anxiety much worse so I quit it (I wish I could remember the name).

(also if anyone has any non-medicine alternatives that would be great. I have tried different supplements like Magnesium and some probiotics that perhaps helped a bit but didn't knock too much edge off)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2Much2Feel

Hey, Caeber, and welcome :)

It would be hard to recommend, as I not only have forgotten the many experiences I've had w dozens of drugs over the years, but everyone has different experiences. It's also hard to find something that doesn't have side effects or get addictive, at least w what works for me, which is desiprimine and klonopin (the klonopin is v addictive, the desiprimine does have long-term effects, although I've been on them for 35 years and have just figured it's worth it at this point).

A lot of it will be determining what you are willing to put up with from a med for your particular situation. The pros and cons. They started me on these 2 things during a study in 1988 when they were first figuring out what panic disorder was, and they saved me from a life where I would never have finished school, had a social life, etc. So the bad effects were worth it to me.

That said, as far as non-med help, I can highly recommend DBT therapy if you can find some as well as hypnosis at night to help w sleep. It saved me when I was only sleeping like 4 hrs a night. On Audible or whatever you listen to, they have tons of them for all kinds of anxiety to help w sleep, and although I laughed at the idea and didn't believe it at all, it totally knocked me out cold. Crazy. Rachel Meadows does some good ones.

Hope you get some advice here that works. A lot of us have been through a lot of meds, so likely you will. It's been really helpful for me for advice as well as to just know you're not alone. We're pulling for you.

N

natalie

I am in London, UK.

Now for my anxiety conditons, I take Pregabalin. Pregabalin is widely used for anxiety p roblems.