Please help me figure out what this is

E

ELite

I have had some experiences that my therapist classified as a form of disassociation. He told me I am not the only client to have experienced it, so I'm looking for any information on this possible as I've not been able to find any on my own.

A few years ago having already suffered from much abuse I went through another abusive time period and then met four beings -- for lack of a better term, I call them spirit guides. I can tell from their appearances in visions, voices, and in other ways that they are personalized aspects of myself. They often help me and have warned me about others -- accurately. They tend to show up when I'm in turmoil.

Can anyone give me information on this phenomenon?

myownveryone

myownveryone

I can't tell you what this defiantly is, but I believe I have something similar and one of old my psychiatrists called it "Displacement". Basically it's where I have torn out the "unacceptable" parts of my personality, and now I'm substituting by giving those aspects of myself a character. That's one theory... I don't know if it'll help but I'll share my experiences. In all I have 3. One doesn't talk, but expresses her distaste by growling and is just pure hate, rage and violence. One is very hyper and rather child-like. She's very excitable and is easily impressed. The other is (through lack of a better word) a sociopath. She warns me, and criticises me when I'm doing something I shouldn't. They're not always always there, and they're defiantly more of a problem when I'm particularly stressed. Its mostly commentary, but there have been times where they have taken over, while I sit in the background wondering what I'm doing. Other times I don't remember at all. But they are all like me. The change difference in then are like darker/deeper set eyes, or a more youthful demeanour. For example, No3 will always have hair covering her face and is menacing to look at. Something about how she holds her frown. As the years go by my own eyes are hardening, and I'm looking more like her.

This bit isn't much related, because I think it might be caused by a different thing, but maybe you've experienced something like this. If I'm freaking out I turn into my mother. And I don't mean in a normal "God I sound like my mum" way. I turn into her. I feel I walk the same, use the same mannerisms, I hear her voice instead of mine when I talk, I see her out the corner of my eye if I pass a mirror. I feel like I AM her then I'm in the background telling myself to stop and I can't.

Anyway, displacement, maybe? It's probably just another word for disassociation, but people experience disassociation in lots of different ways. I hope this has been insightful/helpful. Good luck on your search for information. Your therapist also might be able to provide information sheets about this particular issue. Ask her for some research referable, they should be happy to help :)

E

ELite

I can't tell you what this defiantly is, but I believe I have something similar and one of old my psychiatrists called it "Displacement". Basically it's where I have torn out the "unacceptable" parts of my personality, and now I'm substituting by giving those aspects of myself a character. That's one theory... I don't know if it'll help but I'll share my experiences. In all I have 3. One doesn't talk, but expresses her distaste by growling and is just pure hate, rage and violence. One is very hyper and rather child-like. She's very excitable and is easily impressed. The other is (through lack of a better word) a sociopath. She warns me, and criticises me when I'm doing something I shouldn't. They're not always always there, and they're defiantly more of a problem when I'm particularly stressed. Its mostly commentary, but there have been times where they have taken over, while I sit in the background wondering what I'm doing. Other times I don't remember at all. But they are all like me. The change difference in then are like darker/deeper set eyes, or a more youthful demeanour. For example, No3 will always have hair covering her face and is menacing to look at. Something about how she holds her frown. As the years go by my own eyes are hardening, and I'm looking more like her.

This bit isn't much related, because I think it might be caused by a different thing, but maybe you've experienced something like this. If I'm freaking out I turn into my mother. And I don't mean in a normal "God I sound like my mum" way. I turn into her. I feel I walk the same, use the same mannerisms, I hear her voice instead of mine when I talk, I see her out the corner of my eye if I pass a mirror. I feel like I AM her then I'm in the background telling myself to stop and I can't.

Anyway, displacement, maybe? It's probably just another word for disassociation, but people experience disassociation in lots of different ways. I hope this has been insightful/helpful. Good luck on your search for information. Your therapist also might be able to provide information sheets about this particular issue. Ask her for some research referable, they should be happy to help :)
Well I am no longer in therapy so I can't ask for specific information anymore.

What you have sounds similar but also very different. I have experienced "possession" of sorts when I went deep inside myself and one of them took over my vocal cords, body, and so on and got me out of a dangerous situation. I was aware during the entire time period, but passive.

Only one of them takes on a human form. But generally they are not negative. There is one with dark aspects, but he is not evil or bad. Two of them can reflect vulnerability if I am distressed, but that is not their primary state. They can come when I need it to provide guidance or comfort. One of them doesn't speak, but he did recently appear to me in a vision and spoke with me telepathically to tell me something important. He takes on a human-animal hybrid form, so I heard a soft purring-growling sound that simultaneously appeared to me in a visual way and impressed its meaning on my mind telepathically.

There is also a very wise one who never reflects vulnerability and all and she works with the dark one. She is the main one who appears to me in visions. Sometimes my environment seems to disappear and I can only see and hear that vision as long as it lasts. Other times she comes to me in dreams and often appears in the form of a priest. A couple of times when I'm awake she came to me as a wise old man.

I really don't know what this is. I do not consider it pathological necessarily even though I know it's related to emotional trauma I've come through in some way. But I'm still trying to find out if there is any description of these types of things in psychology or psychiatry.

Though three of them do not take human form, I can see some of my facial features in the younger female being. The same is true of the animal-human hybrid. I can hear my voice when the dark one speaks which is rarely. As for the wise one, I don't see or hear any of my features in her, but she acts really crazy a lot and I think she probably has something to do with my mental temperament.

If it helps, I have actually been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I haven't heard of this specific phenomenon in relation to that disorder.

Thank you for sharing the information. I'm going to google it to see if I come up with anything.