• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

PLEASE HELP, I'm sick - URGENT HELP WITH A LETTER

S

skyblue

I'm sorry about this, but i'm in desperate help in writing a letter to the Education Authority and School I wish to send my son to.

I'm feeling very unwell at the moment, I feel physically sick, shaking, no concentration, constant crying and no sleep because I feel I've messed up what could have been the best opportunity for my son.

I cannot find the right words to write in this letter.

I've made such an awful mistake, I'm in pieces. I have to put my point across that I was extremely unwell at the time - back in Oct 2009, when writing the names of the schools on the original application forms. My son will be attending senior school next year and I did not even put my priority school name down on the list, my first option !!! I was all over the place, I was so ill with the depression and not thinking straight.

I have been advised to write pretty much a grovelling letter explaining my reasons. The school have added him to the second waiting list and I can appeal for placement (which I'm doing by the panel) but I have been told by the Council that he has a next to nothing chance being on the 2nd list. I am in the catchment area and I have strong reasons as to why I want my son to attend, but I need to put this into writing and I'm struggling so badly.

You see the point is, if I had got the application form right in the first place, he would have been accepted or at least been on the higher priority list.

I have to ask for a letter from my GP and Psychiatrist to help cover my explanation which I have done and am waiting to receive.

If I was to print the letter here. Could you please read it and help me out with stronger wording. I'm feel so messed up right now, I can hardly breath.

I know you are all an intelligent bunch which is why i'm desperately asking for your help as I'm terrible with English, punctuation and spelling.

Can I post the letter and ask for you to read through and see what you think and what adjustments can be made?

Please, please help me, I'm so depressed right now, I can hardly breath and am in a panic state.

W

warriorprincess

yes i'll help you.. Please don't worry it will all be ok. Post the letter here or to my email if you want? I'll help, I am intelligent enough (hopefully) to help with wording, I've had to write many a letter of this nature... just don't stress and take a deep breath

T

TOONAFISH

hi sky

i was going to pm you today to see how you were. I'm sorry I wont be able to help you as I'm terrible at english, grammer etc. But just wanted to say sorry your feeling bad, and i hope your son gets into the school you want.

here if you need to talk xx hugs

S

skyblue

Thank you so much, I feel so sick I can't breathe. I won't write personal details because I'm paranoid, sorry. But here it is. I shall call my son Ciaran K.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ciaran K - 20/05/99. St Martins School, Admission for Sept 2010

I am writing to inform you of the circumstances and error I had made whilst writing the original application forms for admission of the secondary school for my son Ciaran K.

Unfortunately, I understand that Ciaran has now been added to the second waiting list for your school. I have discussed this with Hazel Clark from the Local Authority and understand the reasons as to why, but I am very disappointed in the decision because of my situation. After explaining my personal circumstances to Hazel, she then advised me to write to you explaining my then situation in hope this could possibly raise Ciaran's application to the priority waiting list.

I suffer from a debilitating depressive illness called Bipolar Disorder and was admitted to hospital last year. Shortly after this time, I received and sent the original application form for Ciaran's schooling, making a terrible error of not stating St Martins School on the form, which I now wish for as a first choice option. I was very unwell at the time and I vaguely remember filling the form out.

Hazel has advised me to attach a letter from my doctor explaining the mental state I was in at the time for proof.

Please would you accept an appeal by me regarding my son Ciaran and his admission to St Martins School and for him to be placed on the priority list, as I feel it would be a terrible shame for Ciaran to suffer because of my illness. Ciaran is within catchment area and I also have strong reasons as to why I believe my son will benefit from your school.

My intention, as well as my son's, was to attend St Martins School as a first option. I have made a terrible mistake and I hope that you can accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

Ciaran is a gifted and talented boy. Ciaran's strong points are Science, Maths, Literacy, Computing, Music, Geography and especially Art/Design and Technology. Ciaran is very creative and I believe he will excel in Design and Technology which your school accommodates for. His dream is to become a Designer. It would be a shame if this opportunity for him will be turned down over my mistake, I feel I would be letting him down.

Please could you accept my reasons for the error I had unfortunately made and inform me if Ciaran has a chance to be accepted on the priority list for St Martins School Appeal.

Please see attached the letter from my GP. I am also waiting to receive a letter from my Psychiatrist which I shall also be sending to you shortly.

Yours sincerely,

cc. Hazel Clark – Authority Team Leader

W

warriorprincess

cool no worries i have pasted it into word, will hav a look at it now make any suggestions and paste it back on here in a few minutes. please try to relax, i'm sure it will be ok x

emski

emski

Skyblue. I'm really sorry to hear you are not feeling at all well at the moment - has it been creeping up or come on suddenly.

Anyway, I think your letter is EXCELLENT - you have done a smashing job at it to say you are not feeling well.

Perhaps you could even try and make an appointment in person to see the head of the school you want your son to attend? If you are up to this of course, and after you have sent the letter, as a follow up.

I can't think of anything else you should add to the letter or change - it looks great to me, but I don't have kids so don't have experience of this.

Big hugs I hope you feel better soon :hug:

S

skyblue

Skyblue. I'm really sorry to hear you are not feeling at all well at the moment - has it been creeping up or come on suddenly.

Anyway, I think your letter is EXCELLENT - you have done a smashing job at it to say you are not feeling well.

Perhaps you could even try and make an appointment in person to see the head of the school you want your son to attend? If you are up to this of course, and after you have sent the letter, as a follow up.

I can't think of anything else you should add to the letter or change - it looks great to me, but I don't have kids so don't have experience of this.

Big hugs I hope you feel better soon :hug:
Emski it has come on all of a sudden and because of the stress of having to Appeal to the Panel of Education.

I'm feeling totally devasted and feel physically sick to the point where I struggle to breathe. I can't stop crying and haven't slept for two nights, neither eaten.

I have to research the school inside out and fight for the reasons as to why my son should get in. The school is oversubscribed by hundreds, even into it's thousands. I'm feel sick and so, so angry at myself. The Appeal needs to be written in the next few days, but it will take place in June infront of the panel. I have to wait for that long ! I'm disgusted at myself for not getting it right to begin with.

Thanks for your well wishes though Emski and I hope you're feeling better in yourself xxx:cry:

W

warriorprincess

Hey I think your letter is brilliant. I think there are a couple of things i would have reworded here's the changes i've made. I also made a couple of comments in brackets but it's up to you if you like my suggestions or not. Once the first couple of bits were over and you were talking about your son there was nothing i could improve on> It's clear you have his very best intentions at heart and whatever happens he will know taht. But hopefully this letter will be enough, Good luck, let us know how it goes, xxx

W

warriorprincess

Hey I think your letter is brilliant. I think there are a couple of things i would have reworded here's the changes i've made. I also made a couple of comments in brackets but it's up to you if you like my suggestions or not. Once the first couple of bits were over and you were talking about your son there was nothing i could improve on> It's clear you have his very best intentions at heart and whatever happens he will know taht. But hopefully this letter will be enough, Good luck, let us know how it goes, xxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Ciaran K - 20/05/99. St Martins School, Admission for Sept 2010

I am writing to inform you of the error I made whilst filling in the original application for admission of the secondary school for my son Ciaran K.

Unfortunately, I understand that Ciaran has now been added to the second waiting list for your school. I have discussed this with Hazel Clark from the Local Authority and understand the reasons as to why, but I feel I must explain that it was not my intention in the first place to not have chosen you as the first choice, (i think this is what you’re saying?) to try and put right this situation. After explaining my personal circumstances to Hazel, she then advised me to write to you explaining my situation as it was then and see if anything can be rectified with regards to all of this. I appreciate your time in reading this... (i think that sounds endearing and may work in your favour..)

I suffer from a debilitating depressive illness called Bipolar Disorder and was admitted to hospital last year. Shortly after this time, I received and sent the original application form for Ciaran's schooling, making a terrible error of not stating St Martins School on the form, which I wished for as a first choice option. I was very unwell at the time and I vaguely remember filling the form out.

Hazel has advised me to attach a letter from my doctor explaining the mental state I was in at the time, to give you a chance of understanding the state I was in at the time.

Please would you accept an appeal by me regarding my son Ciaran and his admission to St Martins School and for him to be placed on the priority list, as I feel it would be a terrible shame for Ciaran to suffer because of my illness. Ciaran is within catchment area and I also have strong reasons as to why I believe my son will benefit from your school.

My intention, as well as my son's, was to attend St Martins School as a first option. I have made a terrible mistake and I hope that you can accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

Ciaran is a gifted and talented boy. Ciaran's strong points are Science, Maths, Literacy, Computing, Music, Geography and especially Art/Design and Technology. Ciaran is very creative and I believe he will excel in Design and Technology which your school accommodates for. His dream is to become a Designer. It would be a shame if this opportunity for him goes to ruin, over my mistake. I would hate for him to have this regret for the rest of his life. (i think that sounds better that you are not saying it’s cuz you would feel bad – it’s coz your son would miss out)

Please could you accept my reasons for the error I had unfortunately made and inform me if Ciaran has a chance to be accepted on the priority list for St Martins School Appeal.

Please see attached the letter from my GP. I am also waiting to receive a letter from my Psychiatrist which I shall also be sending to you shortly.

Yours sincerely,

cc. Hazel Clark – Authority Team Leader

emski

emski

You cannot blame yourself and take this all on your shoulders- you were not well when you filled out the intial form so it isn't your fault.

I've forgottten - have you a partner/hubby who can help with this? Or someone else who can advocate for you and support you with this.

I'm worried the massive stress of this making you feel so unwell so quickly might tip you into a real episode. You need to aks someone at home to support you.

I do think your letter is very appropriate though, and really demonstrates what happened and why.

:hug:

S

skyblue

Thanks so much Warrior, thanks so much for your time.

I will amend it. :flowers:

S

skyblue

You cannot blame yourself and take this all on your shoulders- you were not well when you filled out the intial form so it isn't your fault.

I've forgottten - have you a partner/hubby who can help with this? Or someone else who can advocate for you and support you with this.

I'm worried the massive stress of this making you feel so unwell so quickly might tip you into a real episode. You need to aks someone at home to support you.

I do think your letter is very appropriate though, and really demonstrates what happened and why.

:hug:
I do have a partner Emski, but he works extremely long hours and when he's back from work, he can't help but fall asleep and so, I'm left to have to research the school inside out and argue my what I feel is right.

He will be attending the panel though and so will my dad. My dear dad helps with supporting me, but unfortunately didn't attend school as a child and finds these things hard. Emotion support he's great with and he's suggested that I should have left this for awhile and try and eat something small and sleep. But, I can't sleep Emski :cry:, my chest feels crushed.

I have no sleeping tabs, but am going to my GP tomorrow in hope for some. I feel like I'm going down, I really do, I can't handle it. I can't forgive myself, I hate myself so much for this I feel like tearing my hair out :(. I'm a terrible mess.

I'm sorry:cry:

W

warriorprincess

cool, i really do think all this will be ok too, you are doing your best and that is al anyone can do, and by the sounds of it the school will be missing out without your son in it. and they will see that I'm sure. But also dont beat yourslef up - absolutely EVERY PARENT IN THE WORLD cocks it up in some way or another at some point, you're not the only person to ever make a mistake :) and think of all the amazing things you've done for him over the years. xx

emski

emski

I do have a partner Emski, but he works extremely long hours and when he's back from work, he can't help but fall asleep and so, I'm left to have to research the school inside out and argue my what I feel is right.

He will be attending the panel though and so will my dad. My dear dad helps with supporting me, but unfortunately didn't attend school as a child and finds these things hard. Emotion support he's great with and he's suggested that I should have left this for awhile and try and eat something small and sleep. But, I can't sleep Emski :cry:, my chest feels crushed.

I have no sleeping tabs, but am going to my GP tomorrow in hope for some. I feel like I'm going down, I really do, I can't handle it. I can't forgive myself, I hate myself so much for this I feel like tearing my hair out :(. I'm a terrible mess.

I'm sorry:cry:
Please don't hate yourself - it wasn't your fault. Have you not still got seroquel? Maybe take a little bit extra tonight to try and sleep? :hug: