• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please Help ! I need to know what is wrong with me...

R

raverlu

Ok, how do I start this...where do I start ? I really don't know, but I've felt this way ever since I turned a teenager (started feeling like this at around 13 yrs old & it's never really gone away completely. It keeps coming and going). & this is the first PROPER time I've ever mentioned it to anyone (well, theres been a few things I've mentioned about it but not the WHOLE story altogether)

It all started when I was around about 13years old. I began feeling inadequate to most of my peers. I've always felt uglier, stupider, weirder, less fortunate etc etc. I hated my nose, the shape of it really bugs me (I broke it when falling off a swing when I was a toddler you see & it never got fixed), but it wasn't just that. I don't know exactly where these feelings came from, they just seemed to develop gradually over some time. I'd go from extreme mood/ego swings from feeling brilliant about my strengths to feeling low about my weaknesses...sometimes even suicidally low & I would tend to shy away from people, thinking they all thought very little about me, underestimating me all the time.

When I was around 15-16 I began cutting myself everytime I felt really low. Then there was the drugs; Cannabis, Ecstasy, Amphetamine, Cocaine (mainly all the Stimulants). I enjoyed the great socially uplifting effects from them (ie: Ecstasy) & when I take them I find myself really chatty & outgoing & happy...but without them I tend to suffer from anxiety in social situations, worrying about what people think of me when I'm sober etc etc. There are phases when I'll take ALOT (& I mean ALOT of Drugs) in one night, just to be so completely mangled that I don't care what people think of me & I can make people laugh and be happy. But then all the self-worthlessness feelings are always amplified when coming down & I find myself very paranoid and sometimes hostile towards people who I think are trying to put me down.

Then theres my self image. I take ALOT of pictures of myself, on places like Myspace or Bebo & stuff...some people think I'm very vain...but it's not that. I don't think I'm better than everyone else, infact it's actually the exact opposite. I take pictures & when I like the pictures I post them to try and convince myself to accept who I am & be happy. It's like I'm trying to reassure myself I'm not ugly. Because things are very confusing in that area for me. Some people say I'm completely stunning/beautiful but I've also been called ugly. I really don't understand it & thats also why I tend to take alot of pics of myself. To make sure I'm ok looking (yes, I realise this sounds completely self-centred & I don't blame you if you think this way, but this really is a HUGE issue for me). I seem to be hyper-sensitive to people's critisism or hurtfulness & I deal with it by taking pictures that I like of myself & posting them to make me feel better.

I'm also useless in Relationships. I hate being alone, I always feel the need to be in a relationship (& since having my 1st proper boyfriend when I was 15, I've hardly been out a relationship). I've had alot of boyfriends, not something I'm completely proud of. But not one of them has ever lasted over a year. Most guys find me too crazy after a while because of my crazy party/drug habits & hyperactive behaviour. But I only act that way & take those things to avoid rejection.

I HATE rejection ! It just seems to fuel the self-hatred & worthfulness I feel about myself. Even now, if I face some kind of rejection these days (ie; Breaking-up with a boyfriend or getting turned down for something), I sometimes revert back to cutting myself and/or necking a whole lot of drugs to make me feel better (even though I'm now 20 years old & shouldn't be acting this way anymore).

Even though I used to be very quiet in high-school, I'm REALLY extravagant & outgoing now. I usually make light hearted jokes about how crazy & fucked up I am (to make people laugh), but inside - that is actually how I feel about my life & it's confusing me as to why I am this way.

I wish I knew what was wrong with me & knew how to fix it, cus it goes from being all HAPPY, HAPPY HAPPY (& I truley do feel happy at the time) to FUCKED-UP, FUCKED-UP, FUCKED-UP !!! I'm so sick of this.

I remember going to the doctors about these feelings just after breaking up with my long-term boyfriend (this was around May 2009, last year). I remember describing my feelings & they were going to book me an appointment for a psychological assessment, but because of what 'that' was, it scared me into leaving when their backs were turned & walking right out the door, cus I don't want to be locked up. I'm not clinically insane or anything !

***Now this is kind of off subject, but I still want to get it off my chest***...

I've been to psychologists before because of one thing & I'm going to mention it becuase this is an anonymous site. I was raped when I was 17 whilst walking home from a party one morning. I cut though a secluded forest-type path when absolutely out of my face on drugs. I was by myself & decided to sit down for a couple of minutes because I felt really dizzy. Anyways, as I was sitting there this guy comes walking along drinking a bottle of cider. He saw me & sat down beside me (I'm guessing he was wrecked & walking home aswell, from a different party obviously).

He offers me a drink of his cider & I said no thanks. I thought he would've just left it at that & continue on his way but he didn't. He then started asking me questions, like if I was seeing someone etc etc. I wasn't at the time, so he took his chances. He leaned into kiss me & by now I was starting to feel rather uncomfortable, but I let him kiss me because I didn't want to anger the situation & hoped he'd leave me alone after that. But he didn't.

He began trying to pull at my jeans & unbutton them, even though I was trying to grip them to me & put them back on. But as I did this he just threw them across the path away from me. Then he had me on the ground & was ontop of me, forcing his way in. I started crying, saying I needed to get back home but he wouldn't let me up. I remember him ordering to me in a very forceful voice to scream that I liked it. To scream that it was the best I'd ever had ! I did as I was told whilst crying to get away.

Every now and again I'd try to go and get my jeans back & go home, but he kept pushing me back onto my back. It was sore & I remember shards of broken glass scratching at my back. Then someone else started walking up this path with a dog, he got off me & told me to pretend that I was with him. But I used this excuse to grab my jeans throw them back on & run for my life. I ran for ages until I was at a main road.

I did go to the police about it because I confided in a close friend about it, but the police didn't do anything about it because of the substances I was on & for the fact that I let him kiss me. Telling me it wasn't against my will. But I swear to god it was against my will ! I was just scared to anger him & the whole thing deeply disturbed me. But, nothing was done. So I've basically just buried that memory deep down never mentioning it again, until now. Not even my parents know.

***Back to Subject again***...

I don't know if this has anything to do with my self-hating & other issues. I was already like this before 'That Incident' happened, but it definetely HASN'T helped it any.

Now, I know this story is a bit all over the place & about alot of different things. But I swear to you 100% that this is all the Truth !!!! I'm just not good at writing down things in the right order/way of how they happened. I just need to get them all out though before I go crazy & flip for good. Because I really feel close to breaking point these days.

I'm so sorry about the length of this, it just needs to all be said & I really want to know what is wrong with me. As I'm now scared of going back to the doctors because of the last time (which I mentioned to you earlier).

K

Katie84

Your story sounds a lot like mine and touched me.

I was raped when i was 16 and never told my family too, i took drugs to self medicate that feeling i had, i experience highs and lows but that is due to my bipolar, which you might have some of the symptoms of (only a pdoc can confirm this though) you have done well to write it all down, that is the only way i can really talk about it without crying.

I found the only way i could express my feelings to my doctor to get help was to write it all down, how i felt when i was high and low and he referred me to the hospital for an emergency appt which was a week later and i have been under there care since August last year.

I would try again and see your dr with everything wrote down, this might help, i will you all the luck :)

And pm me if you ever need a chat xx