• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please help I can't live like this

K

Kiwigirlinthedark

Hi everyone,
I desperately need help. My partner is shutting down all the time, I feel like we aren't in a relationship anymore. He owns a business and I manage it. It's gotten to the point where I can no longer manage running it, I have suggested we sell it but he keeps saying that I'm fine running it. I'm really struggling and he doesn't help me much at all. He suffers from ptsd and now I'm guessing serious depression. I don't know how to help him and my own mental health is going downhill as well. I don't want to end up in hospital. He also has serious back pain but refuses to get any help. He has a psychologist that he sees weekly.
When he does talk it's either about his back pain or he's snappy and moody. No more hugs, no more cuddles.
I understand he's going through a lot but so am I and he doesn't seem to see it. I'm hurt and alone.
It's been like this for months now and I can't live like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Direisalone

Direisalone

Can you talk to him about this at all? Try and explain how you feel and that you need help too?

Anyone outside of the relationship you trust to talk to? Any mental health services nearby you can touch base with?

K

Kiwigirlinthedark

Can you talk to him about this at all? Try and explain how you feel and that you need help too?

Anyone outside of the relationship you trust to talk to? Any mental health services nearby you can touch base with?
Hi,
I have my own psychologist who I see weekly who is supportive. She said he might be to the point where he is so unwell he is ubable to take anything in that I say. Yes I have tried talking to him but he still shuts down.

Direisalone

Direisalone

Hi,
I have my own psychologist who I see weekly who is supportive. She said he might be to the point where he is so unwell he is ubable to take anything in that I say. Yes I have tried talking to him but he still shuts down.
Sorry to hear that, wish I had more advice to give or something good to say :(

P

personindistress

Hi everyone,
I desperately need help. My partner is shutting down all the time, I feel like we aren't in a relationship anymore. He owns a business and I manage it. It's gotten to the point where I can no longer manage running it, I have suggested we sell it but he keeps saying that I'm fine running it. I'm really struggling and he doesn't help me much at all. He suffers from ptsd and now I'm guessing serious depression. I don't know how to help him and my own mental health is going downhill as well. I don't want to end up in hospital. He also has serious back pain but refuses to get any help. He has a psychologist that he sees weekly.
When he does talk it's either about his back pain or he's snappy and moody. No more hugs, no more cuddles.
I understand he's going through a lot but so am I and he doesn't seem to see it. I'm hurt and alone.
It's been like this for months now and I can't live like this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
It seems like this is sort of toxic in a way and I understand that he has mental problems but this shouldn't deteriorate like that.
If this is going on for months, then you should start thinking about leaving the relationship. If you don't want to do that, try talking to a relationship therapist together.
Does he treat friends and family the same way?