• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Please give me some advice. Symptoms of Schizophrenia - in transition. In remission, truly, but I am at a Romanian hospital. Should I try for pension?

Micsodi

Micsodi

I've been diagnosed 4 years ago, now I will be 27, I have depression too.
My doctor suggested it - to get a pension.

I am at the county hospital right now, for change of medicine because of severe side-effects ( Carbamazepine 300 mg 0-0-1 and Quetiapine 400 mg 0-0-1 will be changed to as it looks like, Convulex 500 mg - are you familiar with it? - and others I don't know about).

It covers insurance and I would get up to 106 pound sterling /month. I need to give my answer because it will affect the papers. That's all I know. Please let me know what you think. I am not familiar with these papers.
Maybe just by having had a pension, I won't ever be able to get a full time desk job. I am a graphic designer with no workplace experience behind me.
(Doctors don't tell specifics about treatment here. I would get back with what will be prescribed once I am discharged.)

Your guidance and experiences are very dear to me and they are so much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and your reply in advance.

Good health to you all and
Greetings from Transylvania,
micsodi

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I'm assuming you have a college/university degree in graphics design but have never worked -- is that correct?

The fact that you're 27 but have never had a job is worrying and will not look good on your resumé. I suffer from bipolar disorder, OCD and occasional psychosis. I'm 30 and due to my mental illness, I've never been able to work either. My parents take care of me, and if I was eligible for a pension I'd apply for one. When you have a severe mental illness and are on psychiatric meds, caring for yourself and managing doctor's appointments can be hard enough even without a full-time job. Moreover, the stress of the job could worsen your mental health and result in more hospitalizations. So, I'd go with your doctor's suggestion and take the pension.

Micsodi

Micsodi

Hi BetaMale,
thank you for your reply. I am so sorry to hear you are suffering. I wish I could help. Please feel free to write anytime, I will listen.
Yes, it is worrying that I didn't have a job since finishing university. I appreciate your advice and I hope the system will change so it will help people more.
I am so happy that you wrote.
Please be well. Take care and I wish you all the best,
micsodi

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am pensioned off now but i have a pension (I'm 63) and state benefits. If I work I will lose my state benefits and that would be a catastrophe. I am also diagnosed bipolar.

I'm not clear what your system is in Romania, do you have insurance which will pay for your meds but you can't work and get State benefits - is that right? Can you not do graphic design from home and do work that way or would that cause problems with your money?

I would also ask if you are stable on your medication now? If you have been stable for some time can you not work a little and see how you go or would that mean you would lose everything. You can always go back onto benefits if you don't manage to cope with work, can't you? As I said I am not clear about the system in your country.

L

linus

If the "pension" also gives you health insurance rights and you can get your meds without additional costs then it seems like a good deal.
Are you saying they want to replace your antipsychotic (Quetiapine) with a mood stabiliser(Convulex)? This doesn't look like a treatment for schizophrenia or acute psychosis.
What's your ICD diagnostic code?
For your self-esteem I think it would be important to try to work anyway, but only when you'll feel like it, in the meantime follow this passion somehow and train yourself. If in the future you'll decide to become an employee then you'll make much more money than this low amount (maybe I don't get it, but 106 pounds/month it's too low even for our country). Also if you want to apply for a job, they can't discriminate you for having had an illness (you'd win such a case easily in court, even in RO) plus I wouldn't even mention it at a recruiting stage.
Are you hospitalised right now? For how long? Or for how long have you stayed before in the hospital.
If you want to talk to me directly, please do..in Romanian.

L

Lab rat

I’m not qualified to give advice about another country but working from home is what I would have said. I don’t know anything about the pension system. The uk benefits system is severely stacked against the mentally ill.

CarryTheFlame

CarryTheFlame

I've been diagnosed 4 years ago, now I will be 27, I have depression too.
My doctor suggested it - to get a pension.

I am at the county hospital right now, for change of medicine because of severe side-effects ( Carbamazepine 300 mg 0-0-1 and Quetiapine 400 mg 0-0-1 will be changed to as it looks like, Convulex 500 mg - are you familiar with it? - and others I don't know about).

It covers insurance and I would get up to 106 pound sterling /month. I need to give my answer because it will affect the papers. That's all I know. Please let me know what you think. I am not familiar with these papers.
Maybe just by having had a pension, I won't ever be able to get a full time desk job. I am a graphic designer with no workplace experience behind me.
(Doctors don't tell specifics about treatment here. I would get back with what will be prescribed once I am discharged.)

Your guidance and experiences are very dear to me and they are so much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and your reply in advance.

Hello Micsodi,

You sound like a very kind person- I hope everything works out for you.

If I were you, I'd read up about the condition & what medication you're given as much as you can.

It's understandable that you can't work at the moment. Perhaps in the future, but not right now. & state benefits can really help you out.

Here if you need a friend.

Good luck!

Good health to you all and
Greetings from Transylvania,
micsodi