• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Please Give Me Advice

L

Ladyfair

I have a difficult time talking for myself. When I have to talk to drs, the manager of my building, etc I don't express myself well. I have no family support I'm alone to fend for myself. Sometimes my mind goes blank and I can't think. I have a difficult time getting motivated to do my laundry, and shopping for food. My question is do you think I need an advocate? I have never had one I dislike social workers so what do you think? What does an advocate do? Are they pushy? Thanks for all advice.

F

Fairy Lucretia

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i have never had an advocate but i hope if you choose to have one they help you x i have never found socials workers much help x

mami5

mami5

I've had an advocate in the past. She came to appointments with me, made notes which she gave me copies of as I found it hard to remember what were said. She would also discuss the meeting beforehand and ask me what I wanted to say, then during the appiointment she would give me the option of speaking my mind if I wanted, or she would do it on my behalf. She also discussed my options with me to help me make decisions as I found it very difficult. They write letters on your behalf too. I'm glad I had one.

Not sure how they work now with lockdown and Covid and everything, but you have nothing to lose if you rang them up and made enquiries. You don't have to commit if you don't want to.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Sounds like something that might be good to try. xo, j

L

Ladyfair

I've had an advocate in the past. She came to appointments with me, made notes which she gave me copies of as I found it hard to remember what were said. She would also discuss the meeting beforehand and ask me what I wanted to say, then during the appiointment she would give me the option of speaking my mind if I wanted, or she would do it on my behalf. She also discussed my options with me to help me make decisions as I found it very difficult. They write letters on your behalf too. I'm glad I had one.

Not sure how they work now with lockdown and Covid and everything, but you have nothing to lose if you rang them up and made enquiries. You don't have to commit if you don't want to.
Hi Thank you so much for sharing your story. Im afraid I may not like one or what they do once I get one.🤦

C

celticlass

Ah well, you dislike social workers so you will hardly want a retired one commenting. Anyway I think an advocate could become involved if you have specific issues you are struggling to address. They are not generally attached to you and your situation on.an ongoing basis. You seem to be mentioning difficulties getting around to doing your shopping and laundry and maybe anxiety making it even harder to speak up for yourself. These I think are possibly connected to your mental health generally. It occurs to me that this needs to be discussed with whoever sees you about your mental health. It may be that you need somebody to prompt you re your laundry etc and that is of course social care provision. I think these days though that health professionals are moving to set this up to and, if so, this route may suit you.

I

itsmeagain

Hi lady fair.
Ideally advocates are there to help and not pushy like social workers and nurses.