• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please complain to the BBC

O

Op.cit

Below is a link to the Graham Norton show where a story is told by a psychiatric nurse about a patient who was clearly suffering. (22.30 minutes into the clip)

Making mentally ill people the butt of jokes should be unacceptable. I found it offensive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006xnzc

If you find it offensive as well please complain to the BBC. You can write or email. Address on BBC site below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/homepage/

The more people who complain the better.

Op.cit

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Get over it ....

The whole of the media is obsessed with blaming "loonies" for the most untoward actions. Oh, and before you complain about me I am certifiable too!

I, like you, wish that we had a more understanding world we could live in, but when I see wars, famine and political dictators ruining so many peoples lives I think it is time we started to get out of our bubble and take a peek at the bigger world and how it is being destroyed!

O

Op.cit

Get on with it

I suppose with the stalling of the middle east peace process, the threat of global warming, the democratic deficit in the third world, food security, nuclear proliferation, the systemic risk to the global financial system posed by the unregulated Credit Default Swaps market, the situation in Darfur, East Timor, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Burundi, The Central African Republic, tension on the Korean Penninsula, Global trade imbalance between east and west, population growth, the falling price of opium in Afghanistan, statehood for Abkhazia, the global sovereign debt crisis, the influence of the CRE, are all issues we can take an interest in.

The fact is the BBC is funded by a licence fee which pays for the programs it makes. It also provides a mechanism for people to make comment or complain and in fact welcomes comments and complaints. This is a mental health forum and it seems an appropriate place to make comment on the issue at hand.

For topics above there are other websites and mechanisms for getting involved if you wish. I don’t think you should assume because people are rightly concerned about mental health issues that they are unaware of other issues or “living in a bubble”. It is just as likely that the opposite is the case.

Thanks for taking a look even if you don’t want to complain as well.

R

rasselas

A majestic and vital retort.

I started watching the Graham Norton show (sssh don't tell anyone) from 20 minutes in, as you suggested. I think your link must point to a different episode.

Could you point to the correct episode so I can watch it, get offended and then consider whether to complain?

I'll try and keep an open mind when I watch it. However, this is a comedy show and Graham Norton is known for pushing his comedy at times. I personally don't mind that. In fact, I think that comedy, like art or literature or anything creative really, has to keep on pushing the boundaries of good taste. Derek and Clives 1970s albums still have the capacity to stun!

Stewart Lee makes some valid points here on political correctness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

I haven't quite got the hang of that, have I?

Last edited:
O

Op.cit

Mark.uk

It was series six episode three I think. The links only work for a short while after the program has been broadcast.

In short Jo Brand told an anecdote that posited a man collected from a grave yard by six policemen to A&E. The punch line was that he had bitten the head off a pigeon.

Another thread exists on this topic where I outline my objection to Jo Brands salacious and despicable portrayal that makes an ill person the butt of a joke for her own selfish ends. It is the portrayal that I objected to and complained about.

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7035

The thread is in the schizophrenia forum.

I think I am being fair when I say it was not an example of edgy comedy rather just a flat footed attempt to shock for a cheap laugh.

I take what you say about comedy and the link is funny.

Regards,
Op.cit

R

rasselas

Thanks for the links. I'm watching the clip now. I'll have a think about it. I had a feeling it would be Jo Brand. She was once a psychiatric nurse...

R

rasselas

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that this is bad taste on a number of levels. This would be utterly reprehensible to the wider public if she was talking about any other illness - the fact that the audience (helped of course by the editor's canned laughter) continued to piss themselves with laughter says so much about where we are in terms of tackling discrimination.

Jo Brand should have known better. As a sufferer herself and as an ex-professional she should have known this was crass.

The BBC need to start cleaning up their act.

shaun3210

shaun3210

Sorry disagree the punch line said a lot more about the police than the guy with the pigeon IMO and if it’s based on a true event why shouldn’t it be used?

R

rasselas

Sorry disagree the punch line said a lot more about the police than the guy with the pigeon IMO and if it’s based on a true event why shouldn’t it be used?
This was my first reaction. But on deeper reflection - and keeping in mind the huge prejudice and discrimination against people with mental health problems in society and the media - coupled with the fact that Mrs Brand is involved in battling discrimination and stigma... that we should be encouraged, as OpCit points out, to be laughing at a man's suffering is way out of order.

If the man himself was on the show telling his anecdote and making light of it - that would be another matter.

But in this context we're being invited to ridicule a man's psychological suffering and the heavy-handed treatment of him by the police. And all this by an ex-psychiatric worker and bipolar sufferer...

O

Op.cit

Mark.uk

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Every one that I have spoken to in person has been of the same mind and have expressed the same view as your self.

I am considering writing to Jo Brand directly via the BBC as it is the second time I have heard her repeat the same story. Given her position and supposed support for time2change it really is not good enough.

The fact that she is repeating information gained when she was in a privileged position is another avenue that needs to be addressed. It appears she has published the story in her book although I have not seen the wording.

Regards,
Op.cit

R

RayJ

Complain to Jo Brand

Though I would agree that the story she told was in bad taste, especially as she has so much to do with Mental Health Charities. I believe the most effective way to complain, is to Jo herself and to the mental Health Charities she is involved with.

The BBc would just gloss over the complaints, I have complained on a number of occasions and just received acknowledgement and to say they have had very few complaints.

If any one is watching The Graham Norton or Johnathan Ross then they expect sub standard humour, it's shows for The Sun and Mail readers. Unfortunately these sick people seem to be in the majority in our communities.

Anyway lets keep the good fight up, we shall overcome the stigma oneday. In the meantime here is Jo Brands contact address at her agents..

:grouphug::clap: So start writing :

Jo Brand
C/O The Richard Stone Partnership
2 Henrietta Street
London, WC2E 8PS

Telephone
020 7497 0849

Facsimilie
020 7497 0869

Email

Vivienne Clore (Agent)
[email protected]

Lucy Chaloner (Agent Partner)
[email protected]

David Lazenby (Agent Partner)
[email protected]

O

Op.cit

Thanks for posting that RayJ.

I agree entirely.

Regards,
Op.cit

Y

YellowBrickRoad

Hey. I know this thread is a tad old but I used to really like Jo Brand. Until I heard the way she talks so disrespectfully about a womans body. I am quite sensitive though. So I get offended quite easily. I am a huge fan of QI. I have a thing for Alan Davies and she is a frequent panellist on the show. For a mental health nurse and charity worker I expect a bit more taste. I like tasteful but silly jokes. Christmas cracker jokes and the like. So anything remotely offensive, racism, sexism, blonde jokes, jokes about child abuse and animal abuse (the list goes on) tend to really really offend me. I spend a lot of time on my soap box about something. Apparently that's the depression...But my mother blames everything on that. The bad weather was my depressions fault apparently :rolleyes: I do agree though. The BBC should be a bit more tasteful as a channel we pay our TV licence through...

R

RayJ

Non Humour

Hey. I know this thread is a tad old but I used to really like Jo Brand. Until I heard the way she talks so disrespectfully about a womans body. //SNIP// ...
Hello YellowBrickRoad....... nothing is to old to reply to...... nice to know so many people do not think this so called humour is acceptable. All we can do is keep on complaining and try to put people off from watching such trash. Another person who has no respect for disabilities and vulnerable people is Jim davidson. If you are a respectful sort of person, then keep away from his shows and appearances.

One day so called entertainers will get it, when their shows are full of empty seats.
:grouphug: