• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Please can someone help ?

D

DaisyLaCrazy

I’m in such a muddle right now. Long story cut short I found out in my second pregnancy (baby is now 6 weeks) that I have heart disease.

I had a follow up appointment today and have been reassured that it’s mild, it’s treatable, to not worry and to enjoy my babies, that I can live a long life on medication.

anyway as you know reassurance does not help ocd. I always find a doubt despite having a positive appointment today.

my ocd trail of thoughts is this - if I was born with this heart disease (which they suspect) and I also have an irregular rhythm and a leaky heart valve. They suspect my heart valve will get better now I have had my baby. I’ve been reassured that stress and anxiety cannot cause any further harm. However one person has said that irregular rhythms can be caused by stress. So I’m panicking that - my anxiety and panic attacks has caused my irregular rhythm which has caused my valve to leak …. And that whilst I can eliminate alcohol (another trigger of irregular rhythm) I can eliminate pregnancy (no more kids) I cannot eliminate my anxiety.

so my biggest fear is that my anxiety is going to cause the leak to get worse and kill me.

I don’t know if this is irrational because it makes sense to me. And I don’t know how to calm myself down.

I have tried to convince myself I’m wrong - my tablets are protecting my heart now etc but I don’t feel ‘convinced’

I know part of ocd is wanting certainty and unfortunately there is no such thing in life, so the best thing I can do here is just to accept the uncertainty and carry on with my life.

I’m not after reassurance, I’ve been told by my cardiologist that anxiety won’t make it worse and I still doubt her! I just want to know how I should deal with this …. I have finally reached out for help from a psychologist and I’m waiting on medication (citalopram) which I really hope will help me. I’ve never thought meds so much before but I hope they will.

I don’t want to live my life being stuck in a web of worries, I love my children so much which is why I worry so much. As I can’t bear to leave them. But I also need to nip this anxiety in the bud as I’m not being the best mum I can be whilst i am worrying all the time.

I’m not sure of my question. But I just wish my mind didn’t work this way , how would a normal person deal with this? I wish I was normal.
Thanks for reading this far. My partner is fed up of me. My mum is drained. She said I’ve just received positive news that I can live a normal life and I’m still being like this.

I feel like I am letting everyone down.

B

BlueWater

All of this is your OCD telling you bad things. You have just received good news about your heart and you saw a psychologist who is trying to help you. I torture myself the same as you but I take 3-4 anxiety meds everyday which is why I can write back calmly to you. When I finish writing this post, my mind will resume it's normal chaos of fears, especially since I am alone and my husband is on a trip, but the terror that you evoke in your writing doesn't tend to bubble to the surface for me because I take anxiety medication. I need an anti-depressant; I'm just not able to tolerate one yet.

Interacting with other adults helps. I love talking to people on the bipolar forum because they have good advice on how to feel even and live life in the middle. My mom was just like you before she got OCD medication. She didn't have anxiety meds either like I take. Maybe you should ask for some Trazodone to take at bedtime. I can take low doses of it. It's an old anti-depressant, not a sedative, mostly prescribed for sleep. I'm able to awaken if I hear a noise. Sometimes, I'll take a little more to fall back asleep. I cut the lowest dose in halves and quarters and take it every night. You have options. Your life is good. You're not letting everyone down but you are being too hard on yourself by assuming the worst will always happen to you which is then exasperating your loved ones.

B

BlueWater

Meds and talk therapy are your best options. It's going to take a while for you to come down off of your OCD high/anxious phase but you can do it in pieces.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

I have high cholesterol, I wish I listened and took my medication but I’m not. I don’t know why either but I’m not comfortable all the way. So I hear ya. As for being normal and being a good mom, you sound like both to me. Worrying is hard, but natural. Even when anxiety can get the best of our day I go on knowing I’ve done so much already with my life that I can continue on.

in my life I went manic because of worrying, but now a days I don’t worry as much. I know I’ll do the right thing eventually and that makes me feel good about my situation.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Try your best to not listen to the OCD. I agree that the OCD wants certainty.
All you can do, is your best and if that is not good enough for the OCD, then i would ignore the OCD thoughts and worries.