• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Please Advise: NO energy, NO motivation, NO productivity...

H

Hwy2Well

Hello All: Currently "in between" psychs. The one-and-done appt with my last psych yielded a confusing dx. Moreover, after fact-checking a host of info/opinions/biases that she imperiously purported as medically sound absolutes, I realized she had no compunction against spewing "facts" from her posterior. Due to my severe lack of energy/motivation, I asked to be prescribed Adderall, which I had been prescribed previously by my pain doc to use for driving drowsiness (never daily, in fact, one prescription lasted several months). She refused at first, but then relented after a bit of begging on my part. She later reported to my therapist that I outright refused to take her advice, specifically, to add a mood stabilizer: Lamictal (which is untrue, but this chick is not shackled by the truth.)

Adderall seems to be a drug that makes practitioners nervous. Don't they give this out to kids? College students? Yes, it is a stimulant with addiction risks, but in my case, I do not get a "kick" from it, nor do I respond like I've read from others: Tasmanian Devil productivity (God, I WISH!), bouncing off the walls, teeth clenching, lip licking, up for days..etc. At best, my physical/mental response is nuanced @ 20mgs (10mgs yields no discernible effects). At 20mgs, I feel a bit more focused, and find I am able to complete a task w/out being distracted or easily discouraged. One completely unexpected response: my compulsive smoking is curbed considerably when I'm taking it.

What DO folks take to "jumpstart" their system, and have the motivation to get out of bed? What are people taking/doing for Hypersomnia? I tried Nuvigil and Dexadrine -- I could sleep thru either of those. In fact, one day out of sheer desperation to be "awake" I took a Dexedrine, drank a couple 5-Hour Energys, and SNORTED caffeine tablets (as seen on the TV series Homeland). Result: went back to sleep. True story.

My profound depression was initiated when my PCP put me on SSRIs (Celexa/Lexapro) because at the time I was getting only 3-4 hours of sleep. Just for this, the PCP dx'd me with depression, tho I didn't "feel" depressed. I was indeed profoundly sad b/c of being in the midst of a nasty divorce, but I make a distinction b/w sadness and depression.* If the PCP had "looked under the hood" a bit more, she would have seen there were heaps of reasons I'd gotten into a poor sleeping pattern, but that ship has sailed. While there was an understandable decrease in energy -- pre-SSRIs -- never did I feel a cloying EXHAUSTION, 24/7, or felt inordinately physically depleted/weak.

The SSRIs triggered something. I don't care what anyone says -- there was an abrupt change in ME while I was on them, and while some symptoms have relaxed, there remains a Hypersomnia/fatigue. I know the SSRIs did some sort of "damage" but I don't understand it, and doc's don't take me seriously about this b/c by now (almost a year since cessation) there can be no link b/w the SSRIs and my sustained lethargy -- or so "they" say.

Once I started the SSRIs, I could not get enough sleep EVER. I became a narcoleptic: falling asleep while speaking, in the midst of a project... I woke up constantly with a cigarette on my chest that had burnt itself out. I stayed on the SSRIs for 3.5-4 months b/c the PCP kept promising I was just around the corner from enjoying the full (positive) effects of the drugs -- I just needed to bear down during the initiation in order to have the drug reach its appropriate levels in my system. I got so bad tho that one day I forgot to let my dog out. He'd been fussy, I remember, but I'd ignored him. At his dinnertime I finally made it downstairs to find that the poor animal had found the most inoffensive spot to relieve himself. I stopped taking the meds that day. That was a terrible shock. Horrific! to think how I made the dog miserable all day because I couldn't get my ass out of bed. My life was going to $h!t, for sure, but to mistreat a defenseless animal was a line crossed that made me realize that in 50+ years I'd never experienced such inertia, laziness, complete absence of drive. This was not coming from ME -- it was a chemically induced waking coma.

That was last December. I have never fully recovered. The narcoleptic symptoms continued thru the spring. But the lack of drive and motivation sustained. This precipitated an Existential Crisis, but I recently decided to "try" again (and, b/c of the dog, truth be told). Considering the life-altering effect of anti-ds, psychotropics are not my bag. Both my psych and therapist feel my aversion to meds is an indicator of self-destructive tendencies. That I'm obstinate -- that I fancy myself a "Doctor" and have the audacity to diagnose myself and insist on prescribing my own meds (b/c -- I suspect -- they think I am looking for kicks, not recovery).

I took Cymbalta for arthritic pain 3 years ago. This drug made me batcrap nutty -- very irritable, reactive, a constant feeling of a simmering rage just below the surface (which is not my "normal" by any stretch). Prior to Cymbalta, I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain. I knew that Med was not a good for me right away. I only took it at bedtime, but waking up the next day would be like rising from a tomb (and I may be wrong, but I think I read that Gaba is in the same family of some of the current mood stabilizers they want me to take now).

I've been doing a more thorough look into depression (thank you, Adderall!), trying to find methodologies or pharmacologies that work best for the particular symptoms I have. I had theories about how my body turned on me, betrayed me, based on what it "felt" like. I had a two-year span of extreme stress almost on a daily basis, and endured an inordinate amount of physical and mental exertion. It "felt" like I had "used up" all my adrenaline. Now of course, that's koo-koo bananas; that's not possible, check. But, still, it's how I "felt."

I found an article on "adrenal fatigue." When I came across this, and the list of symptoms that seemed plagiarized from my own journal, it was like I discovered my own planet. Wahooo! With a proper diagnosis begins a mindful path toward treatment, right?well, not so fast.... Come to find out, "adrenal fatigue" is a Bigfoot diagnosis forwarded by chiropractors, new age-y healers and health food stores. According to the NIH, & Mayo Clinic, this new malady is just another way to sell spendy supplements. However, in regards to ceaseless stress and how that impacts brain chemistry and hormones, I think there is something to looking for treatments that target the symptoms without having your having brain pumped with meds that have a 30(?)% chance of positive outcome. I looked at issues stemming from low cortisol levels. Perhaps by introducing certain hormones/supplements, one might benefit with increased energy. I ordered Pregnenolone. (Not to be mistaken for the performance enhancing steroid: Prednisone.)

[moderated]

I'm going to see if this is a booster. After a couple weeks, gauging the effects, if any, I plan to add SAM-E. SAM-e is a "two-fer": has the potential to mood lift and can be a good pain reliever for many.

Anyone out there familiar with these two supplements? Good news/bad news? Has anyone been officially dx'd with CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)? I find a lot of similarities with CFS symptoms and my current condition, but at present, I'd have to undergo many tests to give this theory any credence (b/c while there isn't a definitive test for CFS, there are things that need to be eliminated before this dx can be even entertained). Right now my insurance is in flux (due to my not opening mail for the past 7 months -true story), and I won't be able to get any kind of testing done before February at the earliest.

Meanwhile, I need some forward momentum. I'm not suicidal -- but in all honesty I wish I didn't have to be on the planet anymore. One memorable morning recently, I woke up and started spontaneously weeping because I was ALIVE, and had to endure another flippin' day. If it's that bad now, what would happen if I take another psychotropic that sends me into another bleak coma? I don't think I'd have the resolve to fight back. I'm not "scared" (b/c I really don't care), but I am aware that suicidal ideation is not completely out of the realm of possibility, given how low I've already allowed myself to get. I'm a waste of resources (and this is a statement of fact, not some drama Queen hyperbole).

In order to "want" to live, I have to be productive. I need my energy back. I need hope that my brain will heal (and, BTW: CAN it? w/o psych drugs?). I need to leave my tomb, my prison. Oh, and I need to WANT to do it. How have some of you found relief from debilitating fatigue (I can't be the only one out there, right?)

Sorry for the Moby Dick post. I guess I'm sort of like Ahab -- searching feverishly, disregarding anything but capturing my White Whale (which is the ME I once was, the me that was deserving of respect and love). But like Ahab, I'm being consumed by my quest and distrustful of those who I perceive want to change course or sabotage my mission (the shrinks and their drugs).

If my course of action seems counterintuitive or heading down a wrong path, I'm up for the discussion. This is my first foray in questioning my sanity/judgment. I never used to ask questions, I just "did." I used to be highly self-aware, but now I'm not so sure if that too is a lost trait, given my current vacuous personality.

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any feedback. FYI: The one-and-done psych did think that I am (and have always been) BiPolarII. I may be, but at present from all the reading on the subject, I don't see it. The psych based this dx on the fact that I am either unresponsive or respond negatively to psychotropics. Is that enough to go on?

*Sadness v Depression: I explain my understanding of the distinction in my "Introduction" post.

Last edited by a moderator:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I found an article on "adrenal fatigue." When I came across this, and the list of symptoms that seemed plagiarized from my own journal, it was like I discovered my own planet. Wahooo! With a proper diagnosis begins a mindful path toward treatment, right?well, not so fast.... Come to find out, "adrenal fatigue" is a Bigfoot diagnosis forwarded by chiropractors, new age-y healers and health food stores. According to the NIH, & Mayo Clinic, this new malady is just another way to sell spendy supplements. However, in regards to ceaseless stress and how that impacts brain chemistry and hormones, I think there is something to looking for treatments that target the symptoms without having your having brain pumped with meds that have a 30(?)% chance of positive outcome. I looked at issues stemming from low cortisol levels. Perhaps by introducing certain hormones/supplements, one might benefit with increased energy. I ordered Pregnenolone. (Not to be mistaken for the performance enhancing steroid: Prednisone.)

[moderated]

I'm going to see if this is a booster. After a couple weeks, gauging the effects, if any, I plan to add SAM-E. SAM-e is a "two-fer": has the potential to mood lift and can be a good pain reliever for many.

Anyone out there familiar with these two supplements? Good news/bad news? Has anyone been officially dx'd with CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)? I find a lot of similarities with CFS symptoms and my current condition, but at present, I'd have to undergo many tests to give this theory any credence (b/c while there isn't a definitive test for CFS, there are things that need to be eliminated before this dx can be even entertained). Right now my insurance is in flux (due to my not opening mail for the past 7 months -true story), and I won't be able to get any kind of testing done before February at the earliest.

Meanwhile, I need some forward momentum. I'm not suicidal -- but in all honesty I wish I didn't have to be on the planet anymore. One memorable morning recently, I woke up and started spontaneously weeping because I was ALIVE, and had to endure another flippin' day. If it's that bad now, what would happen if I take another psychotropic that sends me into another bleak coma? I don't think I'd have the resolve to fight back. I'm not "scared" (b/c I really don't care), but I am aware that suicidal ideation is not completely out of the realm of possibility, given how low I've already allowed myself to get. I'm a waste of resources (and this is a statement of fact, not some drama Queen hyperbole).

In order to "want" to live, I have to be productive. I need my energy back. I need hope that my brain will heal (and, BTW: CAN it? w/o psych drugs?). I need to leave my tomb, my prison. Oh, and I need to WANT to do it. How have some of you found relief from debilitating fatigue (I can't be the only one out there, right?)

Sorry for the Moby Dick post. I guess I'm sort of like Ahab -- searching feverishly, disregarding anything but capturing my White Whale (which is the ME I once was, the me that was deserving of respect and love). But like Ahab, I'm being consumed by my quest and distrustful of those who I perceive want to change course or sabotage my mission (the shrinks and their drugs).

If my course of action seems counterintuitive or heading down a wrong path, I'm up for the discussion. This is my first foray in questioning my sanity/judgment. I never used to ask questions, I just "did." I used to be highly self-aware, but now I'm not so sure if that too is a lost trait, given my current vacuous personality.

Thanks for reading. Appreciate any feedback. FYI: The one-and-done psych did think that I am (and have always been) BiPolarII. I may be, but at present from all the reading on the subject, I don't see it. The psych based this dx on the fact that I am either unresponsive or respond negatively to psychotropics. Is that enough to go on?

*Sadness v Depression: I explain my understanding of the distinction in my "Introduction" post.
There is a lot that is unhealthy in this current society. We can do our best to live as healthily as we can. i've done all the reading/research as well into everything that i can find, & tried a lot of things. i've had a lot of exhaustion & what is some kind of CFS, although Not diagnosed with it, officially there is 'just' the schizophrenia diagnosis.

As best we can it's better to live as naturally as possible imo & take as low/wise amount of medications as is necessary. i went through a lot of drinking/illicit drug taking in the past (currently just over 15 years sober), & also have gone through 27 years of psychiatric treatments - All that is bound to have an effect on overall well-being, combined with all the continuing goings on & stresses of life.

i've tried a lot of holistic/alternative avenues/treatments over the past 15 years & there has been progress but also No really major breakthroughs. Things are different for different people, & i don't know what to specifically suggest? Sometimes i think it's a case of just adapting to the realities of things & how we are.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hello, sorry you feel so bad

has anyone tested your vitamin D levels?

BDU x

H

Hwy2Well

BDU: Yes-- actually that was one of the first tests I did, b/c my atty seems to think all the ills of the world can be cured w/ high doses of VitD. Turned out my VitD is on the high side of normal parameters. (Maybe b/c of diet? Eat a lot of cheese, drink milk...) Dunno. I started avoiding the sun b/c this year I had to have 3skin cancer (not the melanoma kind) spots removed. And there's more I'm scheduled for.

Hey BDU! I had a slew of tests: thyroid, hormones, Vit levels.... All clear there. I'm more and more thinking that the head injury (or, injuries: there were 3 w/in a 15mo period) has more to do with this downturn.

TBIs have cross-over symptoms to a host of mental disorders. But again, while a firm dx
would be a good start, right now damn the dx! I need to get things done. Aaarrggghhh!

H

Hwy2Well

I tried to edit my nonsensical "Hey BDU!" Comment (prob a misfired cut/paste incident). It makes that paragraph seem awkward. It was just a stupid typo. Sorry!

Hey BDU! (See, it kind of ruins the flow...)

H

Hwy2Well

CPU: Maybe because this is "new" to me I have a hard time "adapting". Adapting would mean giving up on what has made me "me" for 49 of my 50 years (does that make sense?). I absolutely agree with you about taking meds out of the picture (as much as possible). To that end I went on a full detox to determine if there would be an uptick in energy or mood. After a month, no luck. The second month passed with no positive outcomes, but the negatives were becoming a problem -- the increase of pain and the lack of activity worsened (in order to avoid heightened pain). I finally relented and returned to my regular pain mangmnt regimen after convincing myself that of my myriad problems, addiction wasn't the root, or even a contributor.

When I returned to my pain doc after the detox, he thought id lost my marbles: going off my meds cold turkey and "sucking up" to the pain just to prove a point. I would have thought he'd be pleased to know his pt wasn't a risk -- but he got a mite testy and said if I were a risk (in his eyes) he wouldn't prescribe meds to me in the first place. Plus, I had volunteered for a DNA test, scoring my propensity for addiction (the risk being if I'd scored high, it could have altered the meds I was being prescribed). The results showed I fell in the below avg range, which was a relief, but until I completed my 3rd voluntary detox I still wasn't all the way convinced. Fair enough. But I hate pills. I never so much as took vitamins prior to 2010 when I was dxed with a spinal herniation. Now they're a daily endeavor.

Now the psychs want to add hefty psychotropics. Guaranteed addiction and guaranteed problems upon ceassation. (At least w/ the pain meds I can stop them CT and not suffer a nervous breakdown --maybe some minor GI distress, but otherwise not anything near the experience of quitting cigs!).

I'm now trying new supps (Pregneolone/Sam-e) and trying to eat mindfully, tho eating is hard. Last month I went 10+ days w/out eating. The prob is if I force myself to eat, I almost guarantee a vicious cycle of vomiting followed by a severe headache which may evolve to a full migraine if I'm unable to keep down certain meds. I don't have an eating disorder, some folks over-eat in times of stress, I under-eat. I love food! If I could handle a giant bloody steak I would, but my stomach is touchy since ravaging it with NSAIDS. Ohhh... But that steak would be a dreammmmmm...!

You say you've tried a bunch of holistic methods w/ some progress. Was there something that you felt like it helped more than other remedies? You think you have CFS? I have some research to share with you, tho it seems that'd be like sharing my facts on physics to Einstein, right? If you have CFS, what do you think was the trigger?

I'll stop interrogating you now. Thank you for your input. Appreciate your guidance! ~~H2W

BTW: Congrats on your 15 year sobriety. With all you contend with, it seems you retained tremendous discipline and inner strength. Top-notch qualities I admire and applaud -- tho my accolades are unnecessary/inconsequential to you, I get that.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You say you've tried a bunch of holistic methods w/ some progress. Was there something that you felt like it helped more than other remedies? You think you have CFS? I have some research to share with you, tho it seems that'd be like sharing my facts on physics to Einstein, right? If you have CFS, what do you think was the trigger?

I'll stop interrogating you now. Thank you for your input. Appreciate your guidance! ~~H2W

BTW: Congrats on your 15 year sobriety. With all you contend with, it seems you retained tremendous discipline and inner strength. Top-notch qualities I admire and applaud -- tho my accolades are unnecessary/inconsequential to you, I get that.
Thank you.

i'm open to any constructive thoughts/information on recovery & healing & it helps others who read the forum as well.

In my own case i feel that things have been/are multi-factorial. i can't arrive at any definite answers or conclusions, i don't know & don't have any categorical answers.

i have developed my own Models & Cosmology on life & health. The past couple of years i've been experimenting a lot with electro-medical healing devices, there is a thread on it all here -

https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread92008.html

i was working with a Shamanic healer end of last year but it seemed to be bringing up too much stuff & i have stepped back from a lot of those areas more, for the time being.

i suffered a severe head/neck trauma when i was 7 & things have been 'odd' since - i think a lot did stem from that, combined with overall life circumstances, & other factors. i think that there is a lot of mystery to life & so much that we don't really know. i have always been very interested in the spiritual side of things, ever since a kid, & a lot of my reading, research, practises & people who i have worked with has been around spiritual areas.

i do see things in an integral/holistic sense; mind, body, soul, spirit & environment. i think that we are impacted at so many levels - physical, psychological/emotional, social/relational/environmental & spiritual/transpersonal. i have tried to address things, as an imperfect human, on every level, as best as possible, especially over the past 15 years of sobriety.

i can't really point to any one specific thing that has best helped. As much as i don't like being on this neuroleptic medication, i do have to concede all things considered that maintaining a low dose of this medication for the past 12 years does appear to have been theraputic, combined with continuing sobriety. i have worked with 2 competent alternative/spiritual healers long term (each one for 7 years) who have been helpful in different ways, the first one especially. But it's also Not been a cure or full resolution to things, more of a very gradual healing & progress, but with ongoing difficulties & challenges. A basic mindfulness/contemplation practise i do feel has also been a lot of help.

Life is strange & hard. i do feel that there is a lot of work still to do.

The CFS, i feel is a combination of all the prolonged stuff that i went through. A lot of stress & difficulties. i can identify with a number of diagnoses. i try & look however at everything from the point of view of experience; as existential/experiential - Just passing through this life.

i think that things are a case of trial & error with our lives, health & well-being, on so many levels. Trying out different things & seeing what works & what helps with things. Different people find different things helpful, & people find their own way through things.

H

Hwy2Well

Well, CPU: As I suspected, you're heads and tails more advanced in the self-help arena than I'll ever have the gumption to match! You built your own device? Holy cow!

But about this mind/body/spirit plane: (this'll no doubt raise a lot of hackles.... )
I watch a documentary a while back (before I had any mental health concerns) about this place down in South America. The documentary folks followed 2-3 "clients" who signed up for this program set in the deep woods of the Amazon, let's say... There was a Shaman of sorts, tho I can't say if that was his proper title. The clients had varying issues: one was a drug addict -- I think heroin; another had mental health issues (forget exact ones); and the last I can't remember, maybe an alcoholic...

Anyway they gathered at night over a fire and are administered Ayahuasca. There was a whole ritual element about this too, but I saw this eons ago, so the details are fuzzy. They showed the folks "tripping" -- which I don't recall as anything dramatic, or hysterical; a more subdued introspective, what's-the-world-all-about sort of trip. At the advent, some were very ill, but then they recovered. I seem to only remember the guy who was the heroin addict as far as what happened the next day (or, I also don't remember if they did this more than once). He felt different, and "changed." When he got back stateside they followed him for awhile to gauge whether the treatment worked -- and it did for him, for however long they checked. Who knows what he's up to now.

Anyway, as far as going deep into spirituality did you ever try with any sort of psychedelic? Some of my reformed hippie pals occasionally take a hiatus from civilization and hike deep into the woods to commune with nature, their inner selves and whatnot...with the assistance of psychedelics. And these are folks who otherwise are squares: dentists, lawyers, social workers.

I'm not promoting this, nor have I done it. Well, check that... I've done acid -- 100 years ago --but at music festivals -- hardly "get good with God" ambiences). Anyway, just curious. Plus that documentary came to kind a couple days ago. I had been thinking how I needed to "re-set" my brain. Many folks (and worse, all docs) warn off electing to have ECT. There's just something in me that screams out that something dramatic needs to be done to "shock" the brain back to "ON" Like a car, needing a jumpstart. Then I thought about a chemical jumpstart, like Ayahuasca. Mind you, this is all just mind wandering hooha. It's all wading in the hypothetical -- which may sometimes inadvertently wander into a realistic parallel....ahem

So, your thoughts?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Anyway, as far as going deep into spirituality did you ever try with any sort of psychedelic?

So, your thoughts?
In the past i used cannabis heavily for some 17 years. i also used a fair amount of LSD, Magic Mushrooms, Ketamine, Exstacy & various other drugs. For me i value sobriety & have No desire to go back to experimenting with any psychedelic.

It seems very controversial with areas of entheogens/psychedelics. Horses for courses i suppose. Personally i think a lot of it is very overrated, & that there are far better ways of approaching spirituality & healing. A lot of more traditional Shamanic/healing areas often didn't involve drug use. A lot concerning alternative/holistic healing can be read up on & researched & a lot of people now work in all these areas. If you run a local search for holistic/spiritual healing you should get a whole list of people/services who can be accessed.

There are myriad modalities & holistic treatments that can be explored -

Healing a brain injury can hurt very badly. Delusion and dissociation. Herbs, herbs, herbs. – Everything Matters: Beyond Meds

i'd suggest maybe reading up a bit on it all, doing a bit of research & maybe look locally for a holistic healer who you could work with. It's very usually Not a quick fix to anything, But is more gentle than orthodox treatments. It depends what you feel drawn to try? A lot of people do go down the orthodox medical/psychiatric route. It's of course Not all either/or - i use a medication long term as well.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi guys. I've read this thread and I just want to add that when a doctor says, "Oh, so you want to be your own doctor, do you?" you should get another doctor. You're the only one who knows what is happening to you. Also, please don't stop drugs suddenly. You make matters worse by so doing. You can only safely stop drugs gradually or you end up with MORE SYMPTOMS.

If you want to cleanse out the drugs that are affecting your brain you could try wheat grass juice, fresh only.

I also had 2 years of stress and had my adrenaline exhausted. We have been tortured. We have been experimented on. I was the opposite of you. Instead of sleeping all the time, I couldn't sleep at all.

The wheat grass is also used as an enema which cleanses the whole system. You'd be surprised how that can clear and reset the brain.

I wish you the best. Poopie

H

Hwy2Well

POOPY: Thanks for the helpful/supportive post. I'll look for wheat grass -- tho I don't plan on detoxing again anytime soon. My pain doc got pretty ticked with the cold turkey approach. The first time I did it I didn't even realize it was a "bad" thing. And aside from some surprise GI incidents, it wasn't "hard". I was just checking to see if I would go into DTs, or have intense cravings...you know, as seen on "Trainspotting."

So you think prolonged stress caused an adrenaline deficit with you? Have you ever discussed this with a doc? How did you come up with that? Did you read about it, or did you simply "feel" that way? I'm really curious. I'm gonna go to my CBT tomorrow, and I'd like to delve into this matter further with her (to what end, I dunno). If you think you suffered from adrenaline deficits, was there anything you tried to ameliorate the symptoms? Did you treat it with AntiDs and/or mood stabilizers? From what I can gather, you're a healthy eater. Did you add/omit certain things in your diet to promote increased cortisol?

I'll stop bombarding now. Thanks again for the tips! Appreciate your input. I would like to continue our exchange on the stress/adrenaline business if you are interested. No sweat if it's not your bag.

Be Well ~~H2W

Last edited:
H

Hwy2Well

CPU: I hope I did not offend you by asking about Ayahuasca. I can see how it could come of as lame at best, and highly offensive at worst. Should have sat on that for a bit before sending....! Sorry.

But before I respond to the bulk of the post, I feel I need to know what the following are/mean:
Entheogens
Horses for courses

Sorry, not familiar. In the meantime I'm going to add you book to my Amazon list.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

POOPY: Thanks for the helpful/supportive post. I'll look for wheat grass -- tho I don't plan on detoxing again anytime soon. My pain doc got pretty ticked with the cold turkey approach. The first time I did it I didn't even realize it was a "bad" thing. And aside from some surprise GI incidents, it wasn't "hard". I was just checking to see if I would go into DTs, or have intense cravings...you know, as seen on "Trainspotting."

So you think prolonged stress caused an adrenaline deficit with you? Have you ever discussed this with a doc? How did you come up with that? Did you read about it, or did you simply "feel" that way? I'm really curious. I'm gonna go to my CBT tomorrow, and I'd like to delve into this matter further with her (to what end, I dunno). If you think you suffered from adrenaline deficits, was there anything you tried to ameliorate the symptoms? Did you treat it with AntiDs and/or mood stabilizers? From what I can gather, you're a healthy eater. Did you add/omit certain things in your diet to promote increased cortisol?

I'll stop bombarding now. Thanks again for the tips! Appreciate your input. I would like to continue our exchange on the stress/adrenaline business if you are interested. No sweat if it's not your bag.

Be Well ~~H2W
I just knew that my adrenaline was messed up because I spent two years with an over production of adrenaline in an extreme state of mania/insomnia/high anxiety.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CPU: I hope I did not offend you by asking about Ayahuasca. I can see how it could come of as lame at best, and highly offensive at worst. Should have sat on that for a bit before sending....! Sorry.

But before I respond to the bulk of the post, I feel I need to know what the following are/mean:
Entheogens
Horses for courses
That's OK Hwy, i don't mind discussing it all. i just feel that there is such a very rich & diverse tradition within healing areas, there is so much to learn & explore within it all, it doesn't need to involve hallucinogens.

Entheogens -

"An entheogen ("generating the divine within") is any chemical substance used in a religious, shamanic, or spiritual context that often induces psychological or physiological changes."

Entheogen - Wikipedia

List of entheogenic/hallucinogenic species - Wikipedia

Erowid is a very good & very comprehensive web site dedicated to gathering knowledge & peoples experiences of drugs -

Erowid

Erowid - Wikipedia

A Field Guide to Psychedelics - The New Yorker

Horses for courses -

We're all different, we're all unique individuals - we're all on our own journey, & suited to different things.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/horses_for_courses

"(chiefly Britain, idiomatic) Different people are suited for different jobs or situations; what is fitting in one case may not be fitting in another.
(chiefly Britain, idiomatic) The practice of choosing the best person for a particular job, the best response for a situation, or the best means to achieve a specific end."

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's OK Hwy, i don't mind discussing it all. i just feel that there is such a very rich & diverse tradition within healing areas, there is so much to learn & explore within it all, it doesn't need to involve hallucinogens.
A book that i obtained recently that is pretty good, outlining someone who healed themselves with Shamanic practise -

The Heart of Life: Shamanic Initiation & Healing in the Modern World
Jez Hughes

Home- Shamanic Healing, Workshops, Training & Courses Brighton London UK Astrology Readings

Your life, your choices Hwy. We're free to explore, do, & think really what we like within the society/culture/law that we're within.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
A book that i obtained recently that is pretty good, outlining someone who healed themselves with Shamanic practise -

The Heart of Life: Shamanic Initiation & Healing in the Modern World
Jez Hughes

Home- Shamanic Healing, Workshops, Training & Courses Brighton London UK Astrology Readings

Your life, your choices Hwy. We're free to explore, do, & think really what we like within the society/culture/law that we're within.
A basic overview of Shamanism -

Shamanism - Wikipedia

H

Hwy2Well

"Your life, your choices Hwy. We're free to explore, do, & think really what we like within the society/culture/law that we're within."

Couldn't have said it better myself (or, so briefly..) [Super Smiley Face HERE]
And, thanks for the book tips. Have to add to my Amazon list. I hope to pleasure read again, but in my current state, that hasn't been a successful endeavor.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
"Your life, your choices Hwy. We're free to explore, do, & think really what we like within the society/culture/law that we're within."

Couldn't have said it better myself (or, so briefly..) [Super Smiley Face HERE]
And, thanks for the book tips. Have to add to my Amazon list. I hope to pleasure read again, but in my current state, that hasn't been a successful endeavor.
Thanks. i struggle with the reading as well these days. Maybe think about working with a local holistic/spiritual healer of some kind? Or a group? There is loads of stuff out there. Just an idea, & different avenue from the biomedical establishment.

H

Hwy2Well

Well, CPU, it's too bad I'm not a little north of here. Up LA way on upward to SF, its a pleasure cruise of shamen, healers, reiki(sp?) and what not. Down here it's a little more button down. There's gotta be a couple. I know when we fostered a dog that should have been put down (seriously, BIG animal lover here, but sometimes an animal is unwell in the brain and can't be rehabilitated -- and we did try Xanax!), all these folks came out of the woodwork to tell me about this or that wholistic healing for the dog & BTW, not CHEAP, but that didn't matter. I understood what the problems were and they weren't gonna be fixed by lavender scented crate liners (egads!) -- story of my ding-dang life!. Anyway, if they have all these kinds of healing so for pets, that must stem from a culture that humans also partake in, right? Best check craigslist -- that's still a tried and true hippie hotspot.

PS: As far as I know the psycho dog from hell is alive and well. And far better trained than when we got her.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

i was working with a Shamanic healer end of last year but it seemed to be bringing up too much stuff & i have stepped back from a lot of those areas more, for the time being.
It is true, with alternative health techniques things can go too fast, and it can be hard to put the brakes on. It's best to be prepared for that and have some grounding techniques close at hand. Taking things slow is another good strategy. It seems a pity to abandon alternative healing methods altogether though.

With ayahuasca, I think it's picking the right moment in your cycle - I've heard mostly good things about it and a few bad, and a lot seems to depend on the state of mind you carry with you into the experience. I'd try and find some open-mindedness and acceptance, if I went at all. Often the real value of such an experience is only visible after weeks or months.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Psychiatric Drugs/Medications 4