• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Planning a Pregnancy and suffering from anxiety

L

Lucy123

I need advise from other moms who suffer from anxiety or other mental health problems on steps you made to have healthy pregnancy. I want to get pregnant with my second child when I turn 42. 3 years ago I had a psychotic break down and since then I’ve been taking risperdal .5 mg and trazodone 50mg but some days I still feel anxious. I tend to overthink everything. I spoke with my Doctor and he said I need to be off the meds prior to getting pregnant. I’m very nervous because I start to think of all the if’s. Like I’m scared that my symptoms will come back or that I won’t be able to cope with my anxiety once I stop the meds. Please tell me something reassuring of how you managed your mental health issues while pregnant and after. I really want to enjoy my pregnancy. Thank you and sorry for the long post.

2Much2Feel

Hey, @Lucy123, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're struggling. It's understandable given the stress of pregnancy topped with coming off psych meds. I was on a number of them when I got pregnant (klonopin, desiprimine, gabapentin) and had to go off of them really quickly. Had been on them for decades. Was terrified.

First off, make sure you have a good ob/gyn who understands mental health issues and how they interact with pregnancy. I fired one for basically ignoring me when I was at my worst during it. Found a decent one, and things went somewhat smoothly. It wasn't easy, I was on bedrest for 4 months and alone all day, just laying there worrying about all the potential problems, as pregnancy will do to us. In any case, I did have quite a bit of anxiety and some depression, but have lived to talk about it. I think there's something about having a child growing in you that helps you hang in there even during the hardest times. Now it all seems like the blink of an eye, as it's been 16 years, but at the time the days dragged on endlessly. You can do this. If you have the proper support system in place, it makes it so much easier to do so.

It's not going to be simple likely, but it is something that is beyond worth it. Know that you have a supportive community here as well to speak with. But I guess my best advice is having a strong support system set up in advance so you're less likely to have to worry. Like have a mental health emergency card with 2-3 people you can call for help if it gets to the point you really need someone with you. A good doctor who will listen to you and your concerns and not be dismissive. I didn't really have anyone but my ex, and he worked like 16 hour days, but in retrospect, I wish I had set up more of a support system to make it easier.

Wishing you the very best of luck, and keep reaching out here. Very exciting time for you. :) xx