• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Placebo versus medication for psychosis

F

firemonkee57

Regular readers of the Mental Elf may remember my previous blog which looked at a series of papers examining the placebo effect in relation to depression and the use of antidepressant medication. You can find it here along with a placebo primer by Ben Goldacre here.

To recap, the placebo effect refers to the effect of a simulated or otherwise ineffectual treatment. It has been known about for more than 200 years. Placebos are often used as control treatments in trials of medicine, the rationale being that the medicine should outperform the placebo (commonly a sugar pill) in order for it to be regarded as efficacious.

In the paper I’ve been asked to review for the Mental Elf (Rutherford et al, 2014) the authors chose to examine the placebo response in antipsychotic clinical trials. Rutherford and colleagues note at the beginning of the paper that placebo response rates in trials of antipsychotic medications are increasing. That is, difficulties seem to have been improving to a greater extent more recently than in the past despite the placebo itself remaining the same. The authors sought to determine the causes of this increase in placebo response rate. They argued that this phenomenon increases the cost of drug development, delays the availability of new antipsychotic medications and means that pharmaceutical companies spend less money on psychiatric research.

Placebo for psychosis

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Sixty Years of Placebo-Controlled Antipsychotic Drug Trials in Acute Schizophrenia: Systematic Review, Bayesian Meta-Analysis, and Meta-Regression of Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
S Placebo Pills Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Poopy Doll Lithium Orotate versus Lithium Carbonate Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 9
L Ughhh can I do this anymore (medication) Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
H Insomnia medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D How do you remember to take your medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
G Medication that helps with racing thoughts due to drug use? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
R Medication for daily anxiety/panic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
stevie_sloth Is anyone totally medication resistant? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
F New medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F Alternative medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
BEASTMODEWARRIOR what medication helps against weight gain on risperdone. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
T Medication affecting me after several months Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
lyma starting effects of medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
maaraazdrem Medication advice Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
G I am going to stop taking my medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
historygirl21 possible addition of new medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
G Needle Pricking sensations all over body ?? Medication ?? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
lifecangetbetter medication for anger? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
R Medication works less due to Allergies Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
K Medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
T I am going to be discharged from cmht to gp, am i allowed to come off the anti psychotic medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Dav How do you stop your medication dosage being increased Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
C Medication suggestions Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
C Please help me select a medication. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
Girlrobin Problem of having no say in medication choice Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
lifecangetbetter Medication for anger Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 15
A Scared to increase medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
S Coming off medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
needthecaffeine Every medication seems to quit working for me Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
A Medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
H Stoping antipsychotic medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
K Not liking medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
B How dangerous are psychiatric medication when overdosed or combined by yourself Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
M Does no side effects mean medication isn’t working? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Chongo Sleep Medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
v01ce5 Taking Control of Medication: Joanna Moncrieff and the “The Myth of the Chemical Cure” Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
B Medication suggestions Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Jam1990 Nervous to start new medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Linda1989 I just cant lose weight on medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 26
N GP General Review Appointment - Medication - one aspect Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
A Trouble swallowing caused by my medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
K In need of medication, but I have a complicated living situation Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
P Has anyone had emotional blunting from medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
N Over the Top amounts of Music Tracks in head, without Headphones on/Medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Mr S I’m coming off medication full stop. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
Bigquestion Medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
H Anti Anxiety Medication Advice please! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
toenaeuk Medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
Anime-Alchemy What time do you take your medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 16