• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

PIP telephone assessment

Funnyday

Funnyday

I received a text today informing me that they want to carry out a telephone assessment. What can I expect to happen. What sort of things will they question me about. What should I not say to them?

Sash1

Sash1

In had an 'unexpected' call from them a bout 4 weeks ago now..........wasn't planned or anything, so they caught me off guard..(bit naughty really as I didn't have the opportunity to record it)but they knew that!!

She was ok, just wanted to clear up a couple of things from my written application, she said she'd spoken to my Psychologist, checked my other 'proof' document's, and that was it, call lasted about 30 minutes..

Because the call was unexpected, I wasn't prepared, and didnt have my photo copied application ready to refer too, I was pretty stressed, upset and pretty nervous, she could hear that I wasn't coping well with the call..

She asked me to go into more detail about my blackouts, how often, how long do they last, how do I feel after them..
Also about my personal care(I'm OCD so that is freakishly out of control at the best of times)..

They're not bothered about your Physical or MH diagnosis, they just want to hammer down how if affects your daily life, so you must emphasise your struggles with that. If you get upset when talking to them, let them see how your struggling and not handling the call that well..

Funnyday

Funnyday

Thanks for the advice.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have to send mine off soon and not looking forward to a phone call although if it gets me a longer award, i don't mind giving more information. I can communicate verbally anyway and they cannot tell anything else over the phone i don't think.

It is better than having to go to an assessment i feel.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
I’d hate to have a phone appointment I’m hopeless talking about myself on the phone. I was seeing a psychologist 18 months ago but with covid they became telephone meeting and i just clammed up and said they were a waste of time .

Funnyday

Funnyday

Today is the day of the assessment. Wish me luck!

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
Good luck funnyday . If youve kept a copy of the PIP form you sent in keep it near you so you can refer to it. I would also make some notes as to how your feeling if theres anything different you may have missed out on the form . I would also have a drink by you cos if your anything like me your mouth will be dry from anxiety

Funnyday

Funnyday

Talk about anxiety harvest. PIP just called me to reschedule the appointment for next Monday. They said that they can't locate a healthcare professional to carry today's appointment out. Bunch of Muppets.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
I’m so sorry about that. They dont seem to understand the anxiety that you go thru before before these calls and think you will just feel ok about it. You ave my sympathy Funnyday

Funnyday

Funnyday

A long build-up followed by negative communication. Causing me to get anxious.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
How stressful on top of stressful, to put it mildly
I would have been drinking all day from phone call scheduled until i get to speak to someone. So bad of them to do this.

Will a walk help?

Funnyday

Funnyday

I'm really anxious today. I'm just having a few beers hoping to relax and go with the flow tomorrow. I keep looking at advice from the website benefits and work. There is so much good info that I can't possibly remember it all tomorrow when on the phone. I keep thinking that they will just award me zero points.

Funnyday

Funnyday

All done now. The lady that I spoke with was nice. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. She said that it could take 8 weeks before I hear back from PIP. And exhale!