PIP mental health claim rejected, need advice.

M

Mark8147

A little brief background. I have suffered from anxiety, depression and agoraphobia since i was 16, 22 years ago. Because of this I have never been able to work but have always decided against claiming benefits because of the possible stigma. I had my assessment and received a 0 in mobility and daily living. The report basically stated that because I was well enough to attend the assessment and talk to the interviewer, along with being able to walk my dog I was ineligible.

I feel they have completely dismissed the context of my mental health issues. I can take my dog because I know I can return home whenever I want and don't have to interact with anyone. I did attend my assessment but went through weeks of panic attacks and insomnia due to the stress in the build up. I was only able to get there because I was heavily dosed up on Xanax. The dismissive nature of their report was exactly why I put off applying for so long and has left me feeling lower than ever. I don't know where to go from here so was wondering if anyone had any advice. It would be massively appreciated.
Mark.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a lot of cases were they turn people down are overturned at appeal, first theres what's called a mandatory reconsideration, you ask for it's a formality they don't often reconsider then theres the appeal, it is a drawn out process and intentionally made difficult

have you any representation?

M

Mark8147

I don't have any representation, I doubt I can afford any. Is the appeal something I would have to attend in an official place? I don't know if I would be able to attend that with my agoraphobia.

Tigergirl

Tigergirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You don't have to pay if you appealed. I really would appeal, they turned my daughter down so went to appeal and won, we did not even have to attend. You need to ask them for a mandatory decision first before appealing.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Good luck with the mandatory reconsideration and appeal if you need to.
Please don't give in.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
My friend spent 3 months going thru the appeal process and they stopped her payments. She wasnt too bothered as she assumed she’d get it backdated. But they haven’t done it as yet. When she phoned up she was told there’s a long waiting list and there doing it alphabetically and as her name begins with R it could be another 6 months. It’s absolutly disgraceful. If it hadn’t been for her family she’d have been in a right mess. But not all are as lucky as her.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as someone in my unemployment group said they assume you've got a rich relative because hasn't everyone got a rich relative