PIP benefit.

E

ElizaD

Hey, I'm new here so sorry if I make any mistakes.
I received my PIP assessment form the other day and I'm struggling filling it in, I'm scared of downplaying it and not being able to receive anything... and saying something which they don't believe when getting physically assessed? :(

Is there anyone with any advice on filling the form in?

Thank you.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I recently filled my form in but I had help from someone who works for the council and has done quite a few.

She just told me to put how I was affected by my illness on my *worst* day.
Even if you don't have a lot of worst days, just put down how it affects you on those days.

Some of the questions are only aimed at the physically disabled.
Don't worry about saying you can use the toilet unaided for example (unless you can't, obviously)

I am still awaiting my assessment, but I plan to tell them exactly what I wrote, because it's the truth.
If you are scared of downplaying it, then don't. Really tell them everything and how hard it is.

Mister.B

Mister.B

Oh, and just to let you know.
Thinking about all this negative stuff when filling it out is going to make you feel pretty sh*t, but the lady who helped me told me how her dad(?) used to tell her a maxim that "We're all corks, sometimes we sink but we always bob back upto the top again." :)

And, with your assessment, you should photocopy your completed form before you send it off anyway so you have proof should anything go wrong with the post. So you will have a copy to read through up until you have to go for the assessment and you can familiarise yourself with your answers in case you think you might forget something you wrote.

E

ElizaD

Thank you so much.

How long ago did you send yours off if you're still awaiting assessment may I ask?
Did you write that you didn't always feel the way you did on the bad days but most of the time you were like that? I've started a bit of it and put that I feel like that 4/5 days out of the week and it can be more. I read somewhere aslong as it's more than 50% of the time it qualifies, I believe?

That is a fabulous quote and I will be saving that one :)

Thank you so much for the advice.

Mister.B

Mister.B

Thank you so much.

How long ago did you send yours off if you're still awaiting assessment may I ask?
Did you write that you didn't always feel the way you did on the bad days but most of the time you were like that? I've started a bit of it and put that I feel like that 4/5 days out of the week and it can be more. I read somewhere aslong as it's more than 50% of the time it qualifies, I believe?

That is a fabulous quote and I will be saving that one :)

Thank you so much for the advice.
It was late last month I sent it off.
My assessment was supposed to be on the 20 something of this month, but they had to re-arrange.

As for how many times something happens I have put things like "Sometimes" and "If I don't take my medication" but that last one is because in a previous question I put that I have to be reminded and prompted to take my medication, because I do. :redface:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
theres the benefitsandwork website that explains the process and the points system, it's very complicated but you can get the jist with some hints on what to say 20 pound a year but worth it, then rethink if you phone them has a form, maybe i'll try mind as well at some point. rethink puts things to say, your not lieing your just spinning it to meet the descripters

personally even if i lied i doubt the dwp wants to cut my money to the extent poverty misery pits me in hospital at 3k a week though with ian duncan smith anythings possible

S

sadgirl

My care co ordinator always said do it on your worst day and include lots of evidence to support the facts they can process the claim quiet quickly with in 3-4weeks depending on the information and suitation I was supposed to have been seen by atos but because I overdosed to attend the esa assess there doing a paper based assessment instead thanks to my care co ordinator who said she won't put me through it again

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
My care co ordinator always said do it on your worst day and include lots of evidence to support the facts they can process the claim quiet quickly with in 3-4weeks depending on the information and suitation I was supposed to have been seen by atos but because I overdosed to attend the esa assess there doing a paper based assessment instead thanks to my care co ordinator who said she won't put me through it again
one minute they're tellling you to look on the bright side be positive next they're on about seeing yourself as on your worst day, theres a contradiction somewhere

E

ElizaD

It was late last month I sent it off.
My assessment was supposed to be on the 20 something of this month, but they had to re-arrange.

As for how many times something happens I have put things like "Sometimes" and "If I don't take my medication" but that last one is because in a previous question I put that I have to be reminded and prompted to take my medication, because I do. :redface:
Ahh I see.

Yeah know what you mean, I have to be reminded too, I'm useless are remembering to take medication even if it's just once a day I'll somehow manage to forget.

E

ElizaD

theres the benefitsandwork website that explains the process and the points system, it's very complicated but you can get the jist with some hints on what to say 20 pound a year but worth it, then rethink if you phone them has a form, maybe i'll try mind as well at some point. rethink puts things to say, your not lieing your just spinning it to meet the descripters

personally even if i lied i doubt the dwp wants to cut my money to the extent poverty misery pits me in hospital at 3k a week though with ian duncan smith anythings possible
Thanks for the advice :)
I'll look into benefitsandwork and hopefully be able to make a bit more sense of what to put.

E

ElizaD

That's really helpful, thank you.
Is it also true that sometimes they won't ask you in for a medical depending on what you put down on a form? I struggle leaving the house due to panic attacks and putting this into the form, will they take this into consideration or probably not care?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
That's really helpful, thank you.
Is it also true that sometimes they won't ask you in for a medical depending on what you put down on a form? I struggle leaving the house due to panic attacks and putting this into the form, will they take this into consideration or probably not care?
i think if you say you can't make it to a medical they'll hold a home visit but yes if you word things right they won't call you in

i think a month isn't much time to gather evidence seeing the form may take a week to arrive then arranging any appt may be another 2 weeeks

Last edited:
E

english rose

Hey, I'm new here so sorry if I make any mistakes.
I received my PIP assessment form the other day and I'm struggling filling it in, I'm scared of downplaying it and not being able to receive anything... and saying something which they don't believe when getting physically assessed? :(

Is there anyone with any advice on filling the form in?

Thank you.
I had help from a MIND benefits advisor in filling mine in.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I had help from a MIND benefits advisor in filling mine in.
i didn't know mind did benefits advice years ago brent mind had some company pay for a benefits advice officer but it stopped i think the company didn't want to be perceived as helping scroungers, the rethink benefit officer that helped with my dla claim disapeared tears ago

Reminds me i phoned mindline couldn't get through so e mailed the mind legal dept asking if they had an advice form for pip 2 weeks ago heard nothing