PIP assessors assessing those with mental health issues NEED to be qualified in mental health

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
PIP assessors assessing those with mental health issues NEED to be qualified in mental health

I had a paramedic for my PIP face to face. I asked if she was trained in mental health. She said yes, but I don't expect it was more than brief awareness training. She wasn't a mental health professional.

There's a petition to call for this to be made a rule:

[**TRIGGER WARNING** link mentions suicide and suicidal thoughts in connection with the PIP process]

Petition . DWP: Mental Health Professionals To Do DWP PIP Assessments For Mental Illness #StopTheStressDWP . Change.org

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I had a paramedic for my PIP face to face. I asked if she was trained in mental health. She said yes, but I don't expect it was more than brief awareness training. She wasn't a mental health professional.

There's a petition to call for this to be made a rule:

[**TRIGGER WARNING** link mentions suicide and suicidal thoughts in connection with the PIP process]

Petition . DWP: Mental Health Professionals To Do DWP PIP Assessments For Mental Illness #StopTheStressDWP . Change.org
i signed though i didn't like navigating requests to share or donate money

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Signed, thank you Alice for sharing. Sorry you had a paramedic.

mami5

mami5

I had a PIP assessment last Thursday....have no idea what her profession was but I don't think it was mental health!

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

It’s not just PIP assessors, the so called judge and doctors at PIP and ESA appeal tribunals need to be qualified in mental health too. The judge and doctors at my tribunal were pathetic and didn’t understand my problems with mental health. The judge grinned at me as if mental health was a joke.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

It’s not just PIP assessors, the so called judge and doctors at PIP and ESA appeal tribunals need to be qualified in mental health too. The judge and doctors at my tribunal were pathetic and didn’t understand my problems with mental health. The judge grinned at me as if mental health was a joke.
I can't stand people like that, I dread whats gonna happen when I get that brown envelope in the mail.

When my old doctor retired I got a new one who knew nothing about me and my doctor grinned at me when I mentioned I have mental health and he was saying things like "oh we all get a bit depressed sometimes" Oh we all get a bit anxious sometimes" etc etc when I tried to explain things to him.

Since then I was given another doctor who is much better.

Yoona~939

Yoona~939

Signed. :hug:

My form came in the post a few days ago. It's my dad that sorts the whole thing out, I don't really understand. When he phoned to make the claim, I was getting jittery waiting to be handed the phone to give my name and consent for him to speak on my behalf, but luckily they addressed the letter to him, so I didn't need to speak. He's been doing it for me for years, but before I always had to give permission. So I'll be having an assessment around October I guess. The woman who assessed me for work two years ago was an absolutely miserable :yuck:. I knew as soon as I opened the door and said hello she was a cow. No they are not trained... though I have to say, the ones that assess physical claimants aren't trained either... my dad just won PIP for his M.E and his assessor didn't know what M.E was...?

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Thanks to everyone who signed and/or shared this. It's got 6,500 signatures now, in four weeks. I hope it's successful in changing who can carry out PIP assessments.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

Signed cos I had a paramedic for my pip which I failed which is going to appeal.
Paramedic at PIP assessment... that is ridiculous This government are something else I tell ya.

I wish you all the best for your appeal most people win the appeal. :hug:

I'm dreading the day when my brown letter arrives to say that my DLA has ended and that I'll have to apply for PIP.

Last edited:
AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
How many was it in the end?
It was 6,500 when I looked the other day. I couldn't find a closing date on it, so I don't know how long it will be open for, maybe a while yet.

Paramedic at PIP assessment... that is ridiculous This government are something else I tell ya.

I wish you all the best for your appeal most people win the appeal. :hug:

I'm dreading the day when my brown letter arrives to say that my DLA has ended and that I'll have to apply for PIP.
You're right about most people winning at appeal, and the percentage is going up all the time, steeply in the last few years, iirc. Just shows what a mess they're making of the whole process and how many wrong decisions they try to get away with. And I'm sure that deterring people from applying in the first place, or making the process as difficult and disheartening as possible (and then throwing in appeals as an extra deterent) is all part of the game plan.

Yeah I was dreading my migration from DLA to PIP (and currently expecting the dreaded ESA renewal brown envelope). I got through it with support from here, other online forums, and advice from the Benefits and Work website Home Without it I'd have given up (I became very unwell just after my award decision, once the pressure was off I think, plus at points during the process as well, but encouraging words online kept me at it, and helped me believe I could get through it). There's also places like the CAB or disability advice services where you can go for in-person advice or help with filling out the PIP form. You won't be alone Tired Daisy, lots of us have been there, or are currently battling the system :peace:

Last edited:
yellows

yellows

I got 2 appeals coming up ESA and PIP. I have a thread on the benifits forum it's called phone call from DWP.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't think it'd make much difference if they're qualified in mental health, drs work by zapping symptoms, and the dwp gives points on symptoms, mostly under physical health, i think when they compare my illness to epilepsy and diabetes there are people with that whose illness is mainly controlled by meds but that doesn't make you fit for work or able to live on the basic benefits long term

W

winofunk

I have signed the petition and hope that it is effective. That said I do agree with Rambo above.

I sometimes think every assessment begins with the assessors assuming that the claimant's GP is treating the symptoms that prevent the claimant from being fit to work, so from the outset the assessors assume the claimant is fit for work, and carry on thinking this until the claimant convinces them otherwise during the assessment...but the assessment is so flawed - the one assessment fits all approach to the whole gamut of physical/mental illness lets so many claimants down - that many claimants are eventually denied benefit and have to go through the reconsideration and appeal process. It is only at appeal, headed by a judge with a detailed knowledge of benefits legislation, that entitlement is recognised.

Maybe it is intentional that the assessors have no detailed knowledge of the conditions presented to them. That way their assessment will be limited to the questions they are prompted to ask, and the things they are asked to observe. My last medical report in 2017 stated that I did not rock in the chair, so the assessor concluded that I may not be anxious, because rocking is a recognised sign of anxiety.

Assessors having an understanding of the symptoms of the claimant may help the claimant's case, but I strongly believe that it is the assessments themselves - for both PIP and ESA - that are seriously flawed. Until the assessment itself is changed, I believe more and more claimants will have unjustifiable negative results.