• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

PIP assessment lasted 30 minutes. Is this bad news?

L

Loves

Basically I have BPD and severe anxiety, agoraphobia, paranoia and suicidal thoughts. I have waited 7 months for a PIP assessment which was eventually done by Atos.
I took my partner with me to the assessment because I could not manage to go alone due to my condition. We arrived early and were seen about 10 minutes late which is not bad at all. I went in to the assessment and was out within 30 minutes. I was told these assessments should last an hour or more and now I'm concerned.

I recorded the assessment so I have it all for my records but I'm a bit worried that it only lasted 30 minutes and the assessor did not look through the paperwork I had taken with me. My partner was quite surprised too as he had been expecting a longer assessment time from reading all the documentation I have about ATOS assessments.

Should I be concerned about this? Has anyone had a short assessment and then being awarded PIP?

deadchick07

deadchick07

I dont know about PIP, but I know people are told similar for ESA, and clients of mine have been at assessments for 20 minutes and put into the support group, so maybe it was a good thing it was shorter? Maybe you met the criteria within the 30 mins?

L

Loves

Thanks for the response.
The assessor I got seemed genuine enough and it was all calm an relatively anxiety free (for once, lol) so I'm hoping it is the case that I met the criteria and not the case that he wrote me off in 30 short minutes. He said he will pass the information on to my case worked and "hopefully" they can decide to help me. He also said it would take approximately 3 weeks for them to get back to me.
There was absolutely no clue as to how it went but I told the truth which is all I can be expected to do.

I had extra proof he did not see and stuff so I'm really anxious and my obsessive personality is in a bit of scared, emotional panic right now. Probably all the anxiety from the actual assessment coming out in force now I'm safely at home.

I will obviously update people when I know what my outcome but I'm thinking the worst at the moment and it's very distressing. I've read so many horror stories that having any kind of positive thought is impossible.

Lillyone

Lillyone

I do not think that a 30 minute medical is anything to worry about one way or the other.

None of my ESA medicals have lasted for the full duration but I passed.
Also they are well behind in their PIP assessments, so that could have something to do with the shorter time period.

Try not to worry, the worst is over - so sit back and wait (hard I know)!
Remember getting upset will not help your condition; yes there are lots of horror stories, but there are good stories as well (they just do not make the news)!

Good Luck.

xx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I got sent packing within 15 minutes for my ESA, and they wrote to me weeks later telling me I had to "provide more evidence" from professionals because they didn't have enough information to make a decision!

I'd say 30 minutes is nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed you'll get the help you need. x

L

Loves

I do not think that a 30 minute medical is anything to worry about one way or the other.

None of my ESA medicals have lasted for the full duration but I passed.
Also they are well behind in their PIP assessments, so that could have something to do with the shorter time period.

Try not to worry, the worst is over - so sit back and wait (hard I know)!
Remember getting upset will not help your condition; yes there are lots of horror stories, but there are good stories as well (they just do not make the news)!

Good Luck.

xx
Thank you for the kind, positive words. I just feel it was too short to give any kind of information but I have my fingers crossed something will be positive out of all this stress!

I got sent packing within 15 minutes for my ESA, and they wrote to me weeks later telling me I had to "provide more evidence" from professionals because they didn't have enough information to make a decision!

I'd say 30 minutes is nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed you'll get the help you need. x
The issue I'd have here is I went in with plenty of evidence from my P.Doc/Student services/My university and a letter from my normal Doctor and he did nothing but glance at the top page and say it was unneeded/he didn't need copies. If they come back demanding more evidence I will provide them with my recording where I ask him if he needs all the paperwork (a brown envelope full) copying. The only evidence he looked at for more than a second was my medication and medication packaging/pill box.

Did they ask you all the questions during your assessment and give you any indication of the outcome when it was over?

I feel like this is probably what is going to happen as I don't think it was lengthy enough for him to get ANY idea of my condition whatsoever. He also gave me a timeline of "3 weeks" when I was told it would probably be 6 ish previously.

N

Nicola398

Basically I have BPD and severe anxiety, agoraphobia, paranoia and suicidal thoughts. I have waited 7 months for a PIP assessment which was eventually done by Atos.

I recorded the assessment so I have it all for my records but I'm a bit worried that it only lasted 30 minutes and the assessor did not look through the paperwork I had taken with me. My partner was quite surprised too as he had been expecting a longer assessment time from reading all the documentation I have about ATOS assessments.
Do you mind me asking, did the assessor know you were recording it and did you record it with your own equipment,mobile phone perhaps?It is just I've heard say it is illegal to take your own equipment in and record, they have to do it with their recording machine.I've heard they can stop your benefit for recording without their knowledge.I am only asking because I want to record mine when it is my turn.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whether i could get the equipment to record it with or without their knowledge, any way it'd wind them up and i feel you have to approach these things as a beggar, been a barracks room lawyer will just wind them up

L

Loves

I got permission.
I would not recommend going in there without recording. I was seen by someone who was a physiotherapist and probably had no idea about mental health issues. I've also read they're expected to lie - a lot.
What can they possibly do if you piss them off? It's all recorded - you get a copy on the day. Their ability to lie about what was said or how they could possibly "interpret" the answers as needing 0 points is gone with that recording.

Do not record on your phone/without the go ahead from them. Although it's not illegal (You can read about this on another forum) they will make things difficult for you and terminate the assessment if you get caught.

I don't think asking for recording is behaving in any sort of way they can penalise you for. If I could have I'd have taken a lawyer with me (My dad was a barrister, would just be brining in family) to ensure it was all fair and they took it seriously. This is my health on the line/my ability to recover and manage daily tasks well and not something I'm willing to compromise for the sake of an ATOS workers comfort if I'm honest.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
there was that priestley play i saw an inspector calls were the rich womens wife who's running the social assistance board in the 1900s doesn't like the womens attitude and turns her down, think it's going like that

What can they do? well they have a lot of power, theres no way you can hold them acccountable for anything and they know it