• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Pins and needles - Left arm - lots of categories in here...

ak.

ak.

EDIT : i mean right arm...dam...sorry.

hi all,

I'm pleased that I've found some where to post with out being shot down in flames.

I'm not really sure where to start but I'll give it a go.

I'm 35 years old male, live alone.

I decided to loose some weight drastically as i was about 200 pounds (14 1/2 stone) people had remarked on me having a massive "beer gut" i decided i would loose some weight, not by exercise but by simply not eating.

So from January all i have ate is things that are useless and have nothing in them, ie some rye bread crackers and some tomatoes and maybe an onion and that, i completely stopped drinking any alcohol, milk, juice, pretty much all i was living on was coffee and cigarettes.

i had stopped smoking about 5 years ago and started again last September when my brother was found dead after a heroin overdose, i hadn't seen him for about 10 years and i didn't know the extent of his drug/drink addiction.

i have been smoking for about a year now solid, as i say in January i decided to stop eating and found that cigarettes would suffice instead of eating a meal. ( i have used recreational smoking as well for some years, hope i don't get shot down from telling you all this)

So i reach about 110 pounds ( 10 stone ) and was pretty much starving my self but I'd gone past the hunger pains and it was kinda exciting to see how further i could go with out eating any thing, some times this was a few days, but most of the time it was at least 10 hours.

Any way on top of this i have been using a computer at work over the summer for very very long hours, i mean sitting in front of the computer for some times up to 16 hours a day and then I'd get back home and log in and finish some work off, so a start at 7.00am and then finish at 9.00pm and then straight home to do some more work up until maybe 1.00am and then back in to work at 7 again.

i HAD been keeping a hold of some "films" for some one that was making me really freaked out, if i heard a car door slam I'd be at the window, if i was out and seen anyone look at me, I'd start to become a nervous wreck and my mind would start to race and my heart beat as i thought " there after me" this went on for 3 months until the other week when i got one of me mates around and got rid of the lot, i was freaked, like mega freaked, couldn't answer the phone and god forbid if the door went, I'd cry, so i realized that this was doing me no good at all and got shot of the lot.

Any way sitting at my desk at work a few years ago i was told to bring my mouse in closer as i was always extending my arm out to use and the physio guy who looked at my neck and gave me some prodding and that advised that of course your arm isn't meant to be extended all day, so i did and i seemed to get better.

Any way about 4 weeks ago i started getting terrible pains in my shoulder and top right of my neck, like i was always hunched up.

This got worse and worse and then i started getting pins and needles down my right arm to my finger tips, some skin on the back of my neck was like "creeping" and then to my horror i noticed that i can't really lift my right foot of the ground very much, so if you can imagine that you tap your left foot whilst standing my right one will hardly work.

If i lie down or sit in certain positions then i can bend it just like my left but i don't seem to have the power there to keep it up to wards the ceiling.

I took the last 3 weeks off work and have been worried sick, i went on the INTERNET and done some self diagnostics that of course that has even freaked me out even more, went and seen the doctor and he put me on some pain killers and some diazapam 2 mg, then the next doctor took me off them and said that there addictive and that i she didn't want me taking them, then after i noticed that i didn't have any movement as much as i should in my foot i went back and seen another doctor and he said he would speak to the hospital about an MRI scan, he didn't seem that worried, well not as much as i did.

So that's it, that's where I'm at, at the moment, i have started eating again, like pigging out as when i was eating i didn't have any problems, so last night i had fish and chips and it was amazing but I'm checking the scales every hour to see how much weight I'm putting on !!! I'm really, really scared.

I have completely started to relax now and I'm stopping smoking on Monday, wish me luck......

SO symptoms,

if i sit in a chair or in my car i get numbness and pins and needles down my right arm. if i lie in certain positions i get the pins and needles in my arm, my foot is the same (not pins and needles but still dead ), if i stand on the floor like a hard surface then i can't tap my right foot........ if i stand and bend me neck back and forth i can make it "crack" and it creaks.....

please can any one help as reading via the internet can be a worrying place at times, yet the comfort i found from searching yesterday was this site, I had been reading a few posts some people had said that anxiety and worry and stress can have a massive input on neck and back problems and that pins and needles down the arm had been relieved after a course of teratment.....which made me feel a lot better.

I have downloaded some mediation tapes that I'm also listening too, i have always liked these any way and find at the hardest times they can help.

Thank you for listening

Last edited:
D

Dollit

STOP searching the internet for something to fit your symptoms. Yes anxiety can give you physical problems but so can the wrong posture at the computer. And you have lost weight in an unhealthy way so there will have been some muscle loss also.

Try to have a sensible diet. Review the way you sit at the computer.

Meditation is good - I use mindfulness, you can get podcasts for free from iTunes.

You can only change one thing at a time realistically so work out what you want that to be and work on that and invariably other things begin to improve also.

lucid scream

lucid scream

yeah, theres so much thats gone on in the past year and your habits make it hard to pinpoint any one thing.
if your asking us to make a wild guess from what you have typed, im inclined to say poor circulation in your arm, from the way you said you held it straight out and such. your diet and smoking could contribute to this. it could also be a pinched nerve. poor posture does funky things to your spine, which can affect any place on your body.
if your like me, you are probably looking for something you can start TODAY to at least be doing something positive, right? you sound like a fairly healthy person with some unhealthy habits. STOP pigging out and/or starving yourself if you can. take a walk, move around, do something to keep yourself in motion.
its hard to find a decent doctor. have any of them had you do anything that actually helped?

ak.

ak.

thanks, no none of the doctors have done any thing apart from say " come back in a week" .....

Dollit

i know, I'm the preacher, I'm normally the one to say to people " don't" yet i found my self compelled to have a search and a look at what was happening. i don't know why. must admit though one good thing has come out of it and thats this website. :)

I'll have a look at mindfulness, is it an audio book? i do have some podcast stuff and I'll defo check if it's there.

lucid scream

yeah thanks, i see your point, i have been for the past year just about locked up in my own home, it's a strange one as i get loads of invites and stuff to go out, well OK not loads but i end up saying no and not doing any thing other than staying in......

saying that i do use my mountain bike as much as i can when i go out so for little short bursts I'm flying about on it, but not as much as i did......

i appreciate this very much, just being able to talk with out some one shooting you down or just laughing it off is already making me feel better.

:)

D

Dollit

You can find an explanation of mindfulness here www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness and the podcasts are daily 10 minutes casts - just a short thing each day. I've been doing it for a while now and it really does help

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi

Reading through what you have said and what has been advised to you, I would have to agree that you need to stop reading through the internet. I remember when I was younger I looked at different self-diagnosis websites and I think I had everything from nail infections through to ebola :LOL:. I think internet diagnoisis is a bad thing. Doctors are qualified and an appropriate diagnosis is always one that is conducted face to face with evidence such as the results of an MRI scan. I can imagine, with the symptoms you have said, that you have found some very scary illnesses, but chances are so very slim that you have anything like that.

It is most likely to be an anxiety based problem that is causing the altered sensations you experience, either that or it is due to being in one position for so long. That said, I had pins and needles and extreme pain in my right leg a few years back and after an MRI scan I was found to have a slipped disc entrapping my sciatic nerve - too cut a long story short, I had an operation in December last year to release my nerve. It was not anything major, just meant I had lots of people looking after me for a day or two.

I wanted to say well done on your weight loss, but you do need to eat a balanced diet, otherwise symptoms of anxiety can be made worse. I wish you the best of luck with giving up smoking and hope that this and the other replies have helped you feel a little less concerned.

If you need anything just ask.

Take care

Companion :)

ak.

ak.

thank you so so so much, after being able to talk and discuss things openly with people is already a great help too me, feel like when i have been discussing these issues with friends all i got was a smirk when i was telling them about my foot and the feelings that I'm experiencing.

i won't read any more on the net as promised and thanks for the help on my stopping smoking which i am going to start tomorrow! :)

Your body is an amazing machine that needs fuel and energy to run, can't believe I've crashed my weight down by not eating which in return has probably not had a great effect on my stress levels.

i feel a lot calmer now and i am back to work tomorrow but i still have the "pins and needles" when I'm sitting as an operator...:(

Hope to hear from the Hospital soon with the date for the MRI scan and I'm back into see the physio tomorrow, but he's not really doing much, maybe he's not wanting to prod and press in case he makes me worse with out finding out what's causing the pain and the loss of movement in my foot.

Thank you to all

:flowers:

ak.

ak.

well i went for my 1st acupuncture treatment today and the 1st session was with a physio (English guy) he stuck some needles in me about 5, left me to lie there for about 20 minutes and then removed them, i then decided to go to the near by mall and go to a herbal Chinese therapy center, it's quite expensive but feeling healthy bares no cost so I've went for it, booked my self in for 12 appointments.

Lay on the bed and the Chinese lady asked me lots of questions and i discussed where the pain was and what was happening.

She then stuck what felt like 40 needles in me and attached them to an electric pulse type machine that made my muscles contract and relax, she left this on for just about 30 minutes, also with a heat lamp pointed at me..... then she gave me a massage for about 10 minutes and then she went and got some one else who come and stuck these glass bowl type things onto my back and around my shoulder, quite a bizarre experience, they've left round patches on me that she says will disappear over the next few days.

After i was finished she says that there's not many as severe as you with the neck and the back problems that she's seen....:scared: also that my liver and my stomach were not optimum and that you need a healthy body to have a healthy mind and vice versa. funny i told you all that i used to drink quite heavily and later on i stopped eating and she picked up on both of these with out me telling her i drank or had been on a no food diet.

She's gave me some herbal medicine to take so I'm on that now and feel much better than the Amitriptyline tablets that the doctor told me to take this morning, she said that i should take one at a night time to " take the edge of things " but there beta blockers i think? only 10 mg like so nothign mega strong. ......

D

Dollit

Check the Chinese medicine with your doctor as they can have some quite severe interactions with prescribed medicines. Just to be on the safe side. The glass bowls are a technique called "cupping".

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Amitriptyline are anti -d's , also the are good for pain as they relax you. 10MG isn't really too high imo.

ak.

ak.

thank you, well last night was the 1st night that i took one, and i got a really good nights rest. didn't wake up once, well i did but that was just because i was boiling hot......feel better today, don't know if thats all to do with the acupuncture that i had and also the medicine that i took.... still got very slight pins and needles but not as servere as what they have been like.

ak.

ak.

the hospital have canceled my MRI scan as they say that some one at the doctors booked it wrong and it will have to be re-booked.

Gutted and worried and worried and gutted! just wanted to get it over and done with.

been to the chiropractic today and had my back and neck cracked - in agony like, but tomorrow we'll see.