• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Physical symptoms without the panic attack

S

seagirl

Hello and glad to be here. I've had panic attacks off and on since I was 19 years old but never considered the anxiety severe. Sometimes would go years without anything. I am now in my late 40s and since some recent upsets, my Mom's health, getting Lymes disease, my husbands dangerous/stressful job and not to mention CORONA VIRUS, my anxiety has increased considerably. I know what my anxiety attacks are. I know how to deal with them although I am working on getting rid of them totally (hopefully) through cognitive behavior therapy. What I have issue with are my physical symptoms most days (not all) when I am not having a panic attack. I have loud, strong heart beats, heart palps, shallow breathe where feel I have to take a really deep breath often (this one annoys me to no end!) and soemtimes mild weakness/shakiness. I know about low blood sugar and how this can cause this but that is not the case for me. I also go to the cardiologist every year to check on a leaky valve I have had for many many years. My heart monitor results are always normal as is my other tests.... I just leak a little...:). So I do realize that heart palps can be a symptom from my aortic leaky valve but not like I've been experiencing! I would just like to know if any of you who deal with anxiety experience these symptoms during the day or night and NOT during an actual panic attack. Thank you!

N

Nukelavee

Sometimes, I do.

The issue is that because those physical feelings are (for me) associated with anxiety attacks, feeling them can cause an attack. That is, rather than having a real reason for anxiety, just feeling like that can make me anxious.

three years ago nothing I did made those feelings go away, so I was anxious all the time, until I had my medication adjusted.

S

seagirl

Thanks for the reply. Glad the medication adjustment helped. I hear you about the feelings of panic attacks leading to the panic attack. Viscous cycle. 😑

D

Daniel888

What different medications have you guys tried for anxiety. I get chest pains and lightheadedness. Tried citalopram before but didn't seem to make a difference

S

seagirl

I have been taking Prozac, a pretty low dose but honestly, for me personally, I do not want to be on anything mainly bc I feel the panic/anxiety comes from my head and that can be retrained. I will say that for my personal physical symptoms, I take a beta blocker (Propranolol) as needed and it lessens the heart palps and actually calms down the nervous system.

N

Nukelavee

Venlafaxine and Mirtazipine for depression and anxiety, Rexulti as a mood stabilizer.

R

Rj123

Been feeling anxious since then have been drinking to deal with it which makes it worse especially day after drinking. Any help advice would be appreciated

H

HanscomBen

Yeah I get all these symptoms and they made me feel really scared. The air hunger seems to come and go every other month. Heart palps are really annoying they come and go as they please. The worst thing is I dont actually feel anxious at the time. But I'm starting to realise that maybe that actually makes sense. I'm not dealing with my anxiety so its manifesting physically and not mentally. But I dont really know. It is annoying that the physical symptoms dont seem to be controllable. Sometimes wish I woud actually have a full blown attack just to get it all out somehow.