• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Physical Symptoms of Depression & Anxiety?

LostNorthernStar

LostNorthernStar

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but, depression is my official diagnosis so I chose this one. 🤷‍♀️

Does anyone else experience random aches and pains with no apparent cause? I sometimes feel physically sick or like I'm coming down with something but nothing ever develops. I've heard that it can be a symptom of my depression and/or anxiety but, it's not one that my doctor ever mentioned and I haven't really read about it anywhere. I wondered if it could be my mind trying to avoid certain situations that it doesn't want to be involved in by causing a physical symptom which is hard to ignore.
Has anyone else had this or know anything about it? Life is difficult enough without mystery symptoms to go with it.:sorry:

Thanks

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have experienced aches and pains with depression but not the feeling that I was becoming ill. xo, j

Wishbone

Wishbone

Anxiety can certainly make you feel sick because when anxious you're releasing hormones into your body that are usually released in response to threat or stress. Cortisol, especially, is not at all compatable with the digestive system. The shot of adrenaline can also make you feel jittery.

Depression can make you feel fatigued through lack of movement, energy, exercise, or too much sleep, but you can also have persistent symptoms that you feel in your body that seem to be all thanks to what is happening in your mind, given that they can be treated by antidepressants (allegedly): this condition is called Fibromyalgia. But it doesn't need to go as far as thinking you have another condition, it is likely just your body under depression as it is well known to hit people like that a lot.

C

CabbageMama

I do. When I am not good, I often have swollen glands and feel really rough physically. Can get chills and so struggle to get warm through the day, then get night sweats when I am in bed. I pain or stiff and achey most of the time. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS too. Both by different services and with about a year and a half apart. This year, I just assumed those were misdiagnosed to be honest, that all the physical stuff was because of my mental health. I don’t know anymore! 🤷🏻‍♀️

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but I sigh/moan a lot. An instance is if I'm standing up and want to sit down on the floor with my legs crossed. Another instance is if I'm standing up and want to get into my car and sit down on the driver's seat. Another instance is if I want to grab something that's just out of my reach. Another instance is if I'm standing up and want to sit down on a bench. I'm sure there are other instances, but my memory fails me--could be a sign of depression--or maybe dementia. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older (and weirder).

jajingna

jajingna

I do think that depression and anxiety affect the entire body, like Wishbone said, hormones from stress are released into the blood and there's stuff going on in the brain that could be causing some aches and pains too perhaps. Certainly the nervous system is affected, maybe other systems too like the immune system as these ailments drain your energy, and the body is doing what it can to cope with the illness. So I guess you have the primary issues of depression and anxiety but possibly other stuff going on that is related. You can't really separate mental and physical things as if they happen independent of each other.

4everanxious

4everanxious

hi. i don’t have depression but i have very bad health anxiety. i was convinced for years i had a brain tumour but recently i had an mri which came back clear. i actually just have oversensitive nerves/allodynia. but other than that, all my symptoms are anxiety related. i worry a lot. not gonna lie, sometimes i think there’s not one symptom i haven’t experienced. my symptoms are the following: aches/pains, headaches, tingling, jolting, shaking, racing heart, random sharp pains in chest, derealisation etc. it’s hard to get rid of them but i find that not thinking about them as soon as they come helps. my brain thinks “ok she’s not worrying, may as well stop the pain now”.

S

Sugaree

I also feel sick when my anxiety or depression is really bad. Sometimes I swear I have a flu. Fibromyalgia was suggested to me but I never was diagnosed. Mind, body connection I guess.

Z

ZechariahElijah

Yes, when depression hits hard I feel like I’m coming down with the flu. It’s not fun. Physically I am healthy, but I will feel sick and have no energy. I struggled with severe back pain for 2-3 years. Physical therapy has helped a lot, but even my physical therapists felt that at least some of my pain was due to depression.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

I have this too. Physical pain in my shoulders, neck, upper and lower back and other places, but also irritable bowel and, headaches/brain fog. They all act up when I'm stressed or more depressed. There was never a physical cause found. "Muscle tension" my physical therapist calls it.

K

karl7

is the word psychosomatic when you have physical symptoms brought on by mental factors such as stress, anxiety and depression.

M

Mistral

is the word psychosomatic when you have physical symptoms brought on by mental factors such as stress, anxiety and depression.
I think it is. I have had aches and pains all over. The doctor did not say what caused it. She just gave some tablets to desensitize the skin. I concluded that it was psychosomatic and something the doctor could not help much with. The aches and pains lasted about six months. my conclusion was that it was just stress and the body tightening up to fight it.

soul searching

soul searching

I have a lot of the symptoms talked about here. Had to stop my anti-depressant. Think I'll try that Bio-Genetic Test before trying another anti-depressant.