• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Physical side of depression

P

PaigeTWoods

Hi all,

so doctors are treating me for depression even though I don’t feel I am depressed.

I am struggling with chronic fatigue and can hardly function day to day.

doctor says this seems like a physical manifestation of depression.

has anyone experienced this? Just seems bizarre to me.

many thanks!

Vandal_Moon

Vandal_Moon

Former member
yes, serotonin has a huge effect on subjective perception of energy levels. are you sleeping longer and more deeply as well?

E

EclipticNight

Depression can cause energy loss, exaustion, sleeping issues, among other things. Hopefully you never get the mental part.

Blooming

Blooming

Yes, fatigue can be part of depression. There are people that don't feel depressed, only this tired, tired, tiredness. Do you have any pain in your body?

P

PaigeTWoods

Yes, fatigue can be part of depression. There are people that don't feel depressed, only this tired, tired, tiredness. Do you have any pain in your body?
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do sometimes. Mostly leg joint pain and also aching when walking up stairs or brushing my hair etc.

P

PaigeTWoods

yes, serotonin has a huge effect on subjective perception of energy levels. are you sleeping longer and more deeply as well?
Thanks for the reply. I can sleep a long time but never ever feel refreshed or well.

P

PaigeTWoods

Depression can cause energy loss, exaustion, sleeping issues, among other things. Hopefully you never get the mental part.
Thank you for the reply. I did have the mental side a couple of years ago. That went with antidepressants but this never did.

Vandal_Moon

Vandal_Moon

Former member
I can sleep a long time but never ever feel refreshed or well.

if your serotonin is down you will sleep more and also can wake up and still feel tired like sleeping more.

i remember once long ago when i slept 16 hours a night like 4 nights in a row. it was unbelievable. ive never beat that record yet though

P

PaigeTWoods

May be you should talk to your GP about that. ☺
Thanks for the reply. I have, several times. He is telling me it is a physical manifestation of depressIon. I’m struggling to understand that

Blooming

Blooming

Thanks for the reply. I have, several times. He is telling me it is a physical manifestation of depressIon. I’m struggling to understand that

OK, it is possible that depression presents itself as pain in the body. But people with both extreme exhaustedness and bodily pain can on the other hand have fibromyalgia. That diagnosis is very difficult to set. You can contact another doctor for a second opinion if you feel for it. But please don't be ashamed of the word DEPRESSION. Around one in five of the inhabitants in the UK suffer from depression to some degree.

What treatment do you get for your depression (medication or other)? In addition to treatment given to you, you can try to help yourself by physical exercises like a Gym-program, swimming, or walks. Whatever exercise you choose, start small since you are exhausted. You need to eat regularly and healthy to get enough energy to the cells in your body. "Sleep hygiene" is also important (to go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning). Start slow with building depression friendly habits. It takes it's time to make the necessary changes.:hug1:

Here is a link to an article about depression and pain:
The 7 Physical Symptoms of Depression We Rarely Talk About (healthline.com)

In case you are interested here is a link to an article about fibromyalgia:
Fibromyalgia - Symptoms - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Blooming

Blooming

I want to add one more link about depression. This is the best and most people friendly website, I have ever found on that topic (one doesn't have to have any knowledge about depression before one starts the reading).
Depression Home Page - HelpGuide.org