• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Physical reactions to anxiety/feeling overwhelmed?

P

pandamom38

Hi all,

I'm trying to build my resilience to challenges. I've been overcoming challenges all my life, but it doesn't mean they get any less mentally and physically painful. I'm always trying extremely hard, doing everything on my own, and feeling like everything is on the line with each little thing I do. Whenever something doesn't meet my expectations, I get overwhelmed, and the only emotion I feel is rage (at myself, at someone else, etc). Now that I'm older, I have the mental tools to step back and readjust myself mentally, but I'm still physically drained. I forget to breathe, feel my ears pulsing, and then I feel like fainting. One episode would drain my energy levels from 80% to 40%. If I have more than three episodes in a day, I basically break down into nap mode or feel uncontrollable bitterness.

Does anyone else experience this? Does it have a name? How do you overcome physical reactions to anxiety and feeling overwhelmed?

Desire less

Desire less

It's a pretty tough process...usually it requires a different way of thinking or something which has a near same effect on the mind.
It's a chemical imbalance which creates the thoughts and feelings and behaviour.
Thoughts come first then feelings...your body now is looking for peace by nap mode.

P

pandamom38

It's a pretty tough process...usually it requires a different way of thinking or something which has a near same effect on the mind.
It's a chemical imbalance which creates the thoughts and feelings and behaviour.
Thoughts come first then feelings...your body now is looking for peace by nap mode.
That chemical imbalance is hard to fight against. I feel like there's another person controlling me in those moments, and I must force that person to literally move one arm and leg at a time away from the situation.