• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Physical Pain & Depression

sunset547544

sunset547544

There is definitely a link for me at least. When my shoulder pain flares up it blocks me from doing various things that cheer me up. Anyone else got any thoughts on this topic? Btw I think of this forum as my spiritual home when I am suffering badly. Sending out love and hugs to anyone else affected with this monster.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

When I had shoulder pain, I purchased an electric massager and it worked a treat. Just a handheld one for about 35 pounds.

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hello Sunset!

Not related- but when I sneeze, my knee aches lol. I guess you were in so much pain, that you can't focus on enjoying things.

J

JCPraha

Physical pain and limitations certainly contribute to depression. My right knee is painful due to some arthritis in it and I cannot do many things I did in the past. It is a difficult adjustment. I suppose as we get older, there will be physical limitations that arise. It is unavoidable.

P

Purpleplum

There's a connection between the two. Both can affect the brain the same way. When the pleasure receptors aren't reached, depression will happen. They both have different reasons for not activating the pleasure receptors, but the result is the same.

P

Prycejosh1987

There is definitely a link for me at least. When my shoulder pain flares up it blocks me from doing various things that cheer me up. Anyone else got any thoughts on this topic? Btw I think of this forum as my spiritual home when I am suffering badly. Sending out love and hugs to anyone else affected with this monster.
Exercise your shoulder and fight the pain. When i have a pain i exercise where the pain is and then after some time, i either get used to the pain or it goes away.

A

AnxiousMumma

I wish I knew the science behind this but I am sure I was told by a psychologist once, that when we are anxious adrenaline causes our pain receptors to increase therefore we definately feel more pain when stressed/anxious/depressed.
I kept a journal for a year after losing someone close to me and realised that whenever I was at my lowest, I was in the most pain and had various ailments.
Hope this helps

sunset547544

sunset547544

Hero me wants to exercise through the pain 😄 Sensible me says do not do that lol. Maybe you are right though. I have heard and believe pain can be greately influenced by our emotional state.