• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Physical Anxiety Symptoms - what do you experience?

S

Steff1990

I don’t feel all symptoms at the same time. Today my head is thumping, my ears feel full, slight ringing which is coming and going and in general I feel completely exhausted. I have no motivation to do a single thing. I worry about all the more serious things so much, my health anxiety is through the roof
I get all of these symptoms and more. I feel your pain 🤗 sometimes I try and switch off with some meditation but it's pot luck whether it works. But sometimes it just helps take your mind off of the anxiety for a while.

N

navhealth

Yes! Definitely a symptom. I actually went to a physio for weeks because they thought I had a trapped nerve. And it wasn't improving at all. I also had neck and shoulder pain but apparently this goes with having anxiety and tense muscles etc. Sometimes I get numbness in my fingers too but I have had where my whole arm feels numb. It's a very strange thing.
Can i ask how long the numbness last for you.. Mine has been on and off since friday.

S

Steff1990

Can i ask how long the numbness last for you.. Mine has been on and off since friday.
Honestly I'm not 100% sure but probably on and off for a few days. Then it was fine then it came back and so on. I try and tell myself when it happens that it's nothing and it's just my body reacting to anxiety. I've tried doing some stretches and things to help ease it. Just know it'll be your mind and not actually anything wrong. It's not a nice feeling is it.

N

navhealth

Honestly I'm not 100% sure but probably on and off for a few days. Then it was fine then it came back and so on. I try and tell myself when it happens that it's nothing and it's just my body reacting to anxiety. I've tried doing some stretches and things to help ease it. Just know it'll be your mind and not actually anything wrong. It's not a nice feeling is it.
no it isn't its really driving me crazy. This lockdown has just caused all this.

I was very physically active before that then all off a sudden it stopped and ruined my routine. Sleep gym sports work all ruined.

These physical problems seem to be the trigger now for me. very unpleasent. Tomorrow i am going for a jog to see if it will help.

S

Steff1990

no it isn't its really driving me crazy. This lockdown has just caused all this.

I was very physically active before that then all off a sudden it stopped and ruined my routine. Sleep gym sports work all ruined.

These physical problems seem to be the trigger now for me. very unpleasent. Tomorrow i am going for a jog to see if it will help.
Exercise im sure will help! Hopefully it does, fingers crossed.

S

Sam1973

Ive always been a hypochondriac and always been anxious. My physical symptoms mainly started at xmas 2014. I had what seemed like my first ever panic attack in Nov 2014. Then in December a few days before xmas 2014 I had another one. But this time it affect one side of my body. My body felt heavy on the right side for a week or two. I went to my GP, he did bloods and said I dont really qualify for a stroke as my bloods and weight etc was ok. A few weeks later I had the same attack while lying in bed. This time my GP sent me to hospital to check for TIA. The hospital did bloods and scans of my arteries aswell as a CT scan of my brain. Everything came back clear although they did find a sinus infection.

Over the 5 years ive conviced myself its MS.

BTW im now 47

Since then my anxiety has increased alot. My symptoms i get are.

One side body weakness, when i get an attack.
Sometimes feel weak and have a sudden need to eat.
Head pressure and tense neck.
Lightheaded or dizziness.
Heatburn that ive had for over 20 years. Omeprazole sorts it out.
Restlessness. Mainly right side
Right eye floaters
Random pains. Stabbing or skin pain.
Clogged ears and jaw ache.
Bloatedness
Ectopic beats. (Heart Scan fine)
Pain under ribs.
Scared to exercise as it may trigger symptoms.
Random stabbing pain under armpits which is definitely a nerve pain.

These are most of my symptoms. But they come and go. I never get all these on a daily base. But i have noticed that they come every few months and last a few weeks and go. They may come one by one. I have a cancer anxiety mainly since 2017 as i know someone who passed away from it. Some one who was young fit and strong. When i get all clear the symptoms seem to reduce or go.

Does anyone else suffer from anything like this?

J

Julie41

Hi Sam
Do you suffer with panic attacks alone or do you have days of anxiety as well ??
I too have health anxiety 😟 And have suffered for years having good & bad periods over time - I’m on Citalopram
Like you the (C) word- after watching my mum suffer for months & pass away from it
Also watching my father in law waste away after a stroke - this tipped me over the edge in dec 2019 - I became so ill I thought I was losing my mind
Anxiety was so severe the GP increased my dose- it made it worse for a few weeks and looking back I really don’t know how I got through it
I’m still on the higher dose and had CBT by phone due to the Covid virus
It’s still a struggle some days
The physical symptoms can be horrendous
I get absolutely exhausted - sometimes get nausea
Dizziness & woozy
Burning skin - sore to touch
Full ears - shaky hands & legs
Restlessness
Eye floaters & halo’s
Scared
Palpitations
Trouble with sleep
& the list goes on
I try & stay busy & positive but sometimes easier said than done
I find this Forum really good as sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone suffering
Regards J x

S

Sam1973

It’s horrible. It makes me feel like at any Moment my arm is going to just not be functionable and fall to my side. It never does and when I test my strength in it it’s always still just as strong. I guess the anxiety just causes string sensations but not actual clinical weakness. Head pressure also affects me day to day here and there and I constantly feel like I have a sinus infection
Hi. Did u see a neuro? Ive had similar symptoms to yourself since December 2014.

A

Abarth500

I have all these above,. I’m over the moon the rib pain was there, 12yrs I’ve had it :-(

my eyes shake when closed
Pupils dilate
I gurn, lock jaw
Can’t keep still
If I’ve got nothing to do I’m a nightmare
Nightmares bed sweats
Wake up silly hours in the morning.
Yawning fits
I don’t have an ounce of fat on me.

I’ve lived with these problems everyday for over 12yrs

M

MR57

I feel reassured to find almost all of my symptoms here. I'm experiencing crazy symptoms for about 2 months, mostly pain. I didn't know that anxiety can cause all of this... I've made some tests (Blood, MRI...) and they are all clear, but I'm still worried.

It started with chest pain and palpitations.
Then severe back pain and numbness in my left arm (thought I had a heart attack) , it last about a month.
Unable to sleep the entire night, I'm waking up 3-4 times for no reason, sometimes sweated
Fatigue
Tingling in my feet and in my hand, when a lay down on my bed at night.
Muscle weakness, especially legs
Increased muscle pain when I do some physical activity.
Muscle twitching in random muscle but mostly in feet and legs.
When I'm falling asleep and I feel anxious, my entire body have a spasm, really scary.
Pain in my feet, in my fingers (mostly in my thumbs) like arthritis (Anyone has it?)
Ringing in my ears and weird hearing sensation, like one of my ear is full.
My jaw went really painful once for about 3 days.
Sometimes a headache on the left side
I can feel my heart pumping blood in my entire body when I'm trying to sleep.
Dry mouth

Also, when I'm having a panic attack a sweat a lot, my heart go crazy and I get agitated.

And I probably forgot others...

T

TearyEyedx

Headaches.
feeling faint
Pins and needles.
nausea
Palpitations
Tension headaches
Dissociation from reality which is the scariest one for me.

G

Gee21

Headaches.
feeling faint
Pins and needles.
nausea
Palpitations
Tension headaches
Dissociation from reality which is the scariest one for me.
Hey the dissociation from reality is how I have been feeling lately, kinda like I’m in a daze a lot of the time and have poor planning and zero motivation to do anything.
in terms of my physical symptoms, I’m still convinced there’s something actually wrong with me. I worry about things from Tumors to MS, I just can’t shift the strange sensations and slight twitches. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone has ever experienced a burning kind of feeling in their back, in the one spot, it can’t be felt all the time, just maybe certain ways I move etc I can feel it x

E

EvergreenPoet

Hey,

I'd like to find out what all physical symptoms you other anxiety sufferers have??

If there is already a post like this, then i apologise :(

Anyway, the reason that i am asking is that i experience various physical symptoms on a regular/constant basis. I am waiting to see the neurologist just to rule out any other cause of my symptoms, however i have a feeling that it will come back normal and i will be told its all in my head!!!

To start my symptom list is:

Dizziness/lightheaded
Problems with balance
Headaches
Blurry vision/double vision
Facial numbness
Palpitations
Chest and arm pain
Choking feeling/cant swallow
Pelvic pain
Tightness around rib cage - like a band crushing you
Numbness in legs and feet
Twitches
Tingling or crawling sensations
Pins and needles

Damn i didn't realise i had so many. They are not all present all the time but i would say that i experience most of a daily basis.

I used to experience severe panic attacks, but now i just have this elevated anxiety level! :unsure:

Thanks

Cas x :grouphug:
This year has been horrible for me. It started off with tension headaches, migraines, muscle tension, muscle weakness, muscle cramping, muscle twitching, the butterflies sensation in my stomach. I have so much anxiety. All I do is worry about having some horrible disease. I’ve been to the emergency room twice in a month. All the tests (CT scans, etc.) come back OK. But the symptoms seem to get worse. I have fatigue, nightmares, etc. I am also super emotional. Almost anything brings me to tears. I am agitated all the time at every little thing, small things, big things—everything. The recent situation hasn’t helped. I watch every little symptom and believe that I have the worst disease. I thought I had COVID-19 for four or five months. I try to explain my anxiety to people who tell me to just get over it. But I am anxious about everything. Not just big things everything. How does one just get over it? I can’t sleep anymore. I’m barely eating. I don’t know what to do next. Any and all advice welcome.

Falling_Fixation

Falling_Fixation

Dizziness
Pins and needles
Headaches
Muscle tension
Chest tightness
Stomach cramps
Fast heart rate
Clammy palms
IBS-C acts up
Acid reflux (only when I'm stressed!!)
Shaking hands or wobbly legs
Excess saliva and need to swallow
Watery eyes

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hey,

I'd like to find out what all physical symptoms you other anxiety sufferers have??

If there is already a post like this, then i apologise :(

Anyway, the reason that i am asking is that i experience various physical symptoms on a regular/constant basis. I am waiting to see the neurologist just to rule out any other cause of my symptoms, however i have a feeling that it will come back normal and i will be told its all in my head!!!

To start my symptom list is:

Dizziness/lightheaded
Problems with balance
Headaches
Blurry vision/double vision
Facial numbness
Palpitations
Chest and arm pain
Choking feeling/cant swallow
Pelvic pain
Tightness around rib cage - like a band crushing you
Numbness in legs and feet
Twitches
Tingling or crawling sensations
Pins and needles

Damn i didn't realise i had so many. They are not all present all the time but i would say that i experience most of a daily basis.

I used to experience severe panic attacks, but now i just have this elevated anxiety level! :unsure:

Thanks

Cas x :grouphug:
When im in full blown panic mode i cant breath, feel like im dying. Heat attack, Pins ans kneedles everywhere. Hands and feet turn into claws, mind races beyond control