• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Physical Anxiety Symptoms - what do you experience?

M

Marianda

Hi Marianda
It does sound exactly like Generalised Anxiety Disorder
I have suffered for years on & off
Sometimes getting myself back to 90% “normal”!!!
But since January I’ve been awful - the worst
Finished my CBT last week (phone calls)
I have all the knowledge in my head & mostly put it into practice but today haven’t been able to
Woke up shaky ( disturbed sleep for 3 nights & vivid dreaming)
I realise I’ve been worrying for a few days and bang !!! I have an awful day
managed to go out for 2 hours but constantly felt anxious- nervous - heart was pounding - then seemed to miss a beat - just wanted to pace around - hard to sit still- burning in my body & on my skin- blurry eyes- weak legs - just wanted to run away
Got home & felt so sick - couldn’t eat - tearful then angry
Worrying this will carry on tomorrow
Just wanted to hide away & sleep but couldnt
Anyone else have similar episodes
It’s horrendous & makes me feel so ill 😢
[/QUOTE
Hi Julie 41
My symptoms got worst with the quarantine because I was locked here without the possibility of walking and talking to people. One day I ended up in the emergency room. My chest closed I could not breath. They sent me home and told me It was anxiety. I had a second episode and the hospital basically told me I was wasting their time and that I had an emotional problem and to take my meds. It was enbarrasing.

I've suffer from anxierty and depression for more than 20 years but never had these physical symptoms. Maybe they are happenning because I' m lowering the antidepressive dose. Those antidepressants are killing me but my body cant run without them.

I have to be moving all the time otherwise I feel like big sorrow attacks and disturbances in my brain chemicals. Today I just laid in the couch for 15 minutes and had to stand up very quickly because I felt a wave of huge depression, something close to descending to the inferno.

Well, the ECG and holster and blood tests I took are all paid for. So I will see whats going on. Thanks a lot for writing and sharing your experiences. Makes me feel I'm not alone in this nightmare.

A

Aleks82

I'm also in this cirlce of chaos. Don't know how to stop it. What troubles me the most is that I get symptoms like twitching muscles and burning in my legs when I don't feel so much stressed out. I get anxious because of the symptoms. I think that my body is expecting threats all of the time regardless of the fact if I feel anxious or not. That lizzard brain of mine is still in fight or flight mode. I think it's because the trauma hasn't left my body yet.

G

Gee21

Hey I am new here and just wanted to share how I’ve been feeling.......I have always been a worrier/over thinker and gradually over the last few years I have felt anxious more and more. In the beginning it would be all in my head, worried I could shut off by sleeping etc but more recently I have started feeling extreme physical symptoms. I have worried myself sick that there’s something serious wrong with me, I have been to my gp, out of hours a couple of times and even a&e because of:
pain in my head (all down the right hand side)
visual disturbances
tingling / numbness in limbs
Pins and needles in fingers
Twitching
Upper/mid back pain (feels like some kind of tension)
Ear ringing / whooshing
Pulsing in neck and ears / palpitations
I have had various blood tests done, a couple of ecg’s, blood pressure checks etc and everything seems normal. I have a referral pending for a CT head scan and an appointment at the neurology department x

Faith198

Faith198

Chest tightness
Palpitations
Tight throat
Dizziness
Balance issues
Feeling like I’m losing it
Upset stomach
Feeling faint
Tension in shoulders

gotta love anxiety

R

Rider52

Chills/Feeling Hot
Legs Shakey
Chattering Teeth
Jaw Pain
Spots/Floaters Vision
Dry Eyes
Vivid dreams
Fatigue
Burning/Tingling Skin
Upset Stomach
Nervousness
Trouble Concentrating

G

Gee21

I don’t feel all symptoms at the same time. Today my head is thumping, my ears feel full, slight ringing which is coming and going and in general I feel completely exhausted. I have no motivation to do a single thing. I worry about all the more serious things so much, my health anxiety is through the roof

J

Julie41

Hi Gee21
Sorry you are suffering like most of us on here 😕
It’s interesting how many physical symptoms/sensations we have - I hate all of mine even though CBT teaches you to ignore them, think positive but I am finding it all very overwhelming & alarming at the moment . I too am exhausted and could just lay in bed - but rarely sleep
Like you l worry about things that mostly I can’t control - sometimes l look back when I’m anxious (which is most days now) and it’s only then I realise that I’ve been worrying/overthinking/dwelling and the high anxiety is a result
For the last few days I’ve felt it has taken control over me - completely on high alert & scared - then the physical symptoms start & that makes me worse
No enthusiasm- no interest- no energy-
Wish I could be normal again x

R

Rider52

Hi Gee21
Sorry you are suffering like most of us on here 😕
It’s interesting how many physical symptoms/sensations we have - I hate all of mine even though CBT teaches you to ignore them, think positive but I am finding it all very overwhelming & alarming at the moment . I too am exhausted and could just lay in bed - but rarely sleep
Like you l worry about things that mostly I can’t control - sometimes l look back when I’m anxious (which is most days now) and it’s only then I realise that I’ve been worrying/overthinking/dwelling and the high anxiety is a result
For the last few days I’ve felt it has taken control over me - completely on high alert & scared - then the physical symptoms start & that makes me worse
No enthusiasm- no interest- no energy-
Wish I could be normal again x
I'm going through the same thing and I dont know why. I've had anxiety before, but not like this. I've also tried everything to try to improve myself and it's been stubborn lately.

J

Julie41

I'm going through the same thing and I dont know why. I've had anxiety before, but not like this. I've also tried everything to try to improve myself and it's been stubborn lately.
😢it’s absolutely ruining my life as it is many others
Rider52 & Gee21 how do you get through your anxiety each day? how do you motivate yourself? - what do you do when you’re scared & awful symptoms start?
Sorry for all the questions , but I’m hoping someone else’s experiences will help me in some way
Many thanks xxx

R

Rider52

Rider52 & Gee21 how do you get through your anxiety each day? how do you motivate yourself? - what do you do when you’re scared & awful symptoms start?
Sorry for all the questions , but I’m hoping someone else’s experiences will help me in some way
Many thanks xxx
I keep myself busy and try not to dwell on it. I just wish I knew why and when will it let up. I do get some relief usually towards end of day.

G

Gee21

Many thanks xxx
I have started working for myself after leaving my job at the beginning of the year, for time this has been the best thing I could have done. The reason I left my job was due to health not being the best and I thought the shifts I was doing was having an adverse affect on how I was already feeling. The way I feel is so scary and I feel like I’m constantly worrying about something. The symptoms terrify me when they come on, today for example I was speaking to a neighbour and for no reason at all I started feeling slight muscle twitching. I could then feel myself getting all worked up with fears of all sorts of illnesses 😫
Have you officially been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder or have you have any other tests to rule out anything else? x

G

Gee21

Just to add, I am sitting watching tv just now, my mind feels so calm and I feel chilled out yet I’m still having slight little twitchy feelings in my fingers and legs. Do any of you feel symptoms like this when you’re relaxing?

J

Julie41

Just to add, I am sitting watching tv just now, my mind feels so calm and I feel chilled out yet I’m still having slight little twitchy feelings in my fingers and legs. Do any of you feel symptoms like this when you’re relaxing?
I have GAD and depression- had anxiety for quite a few years but the depression is more a recent thing I’m on medication which was increased in feb this year - but I’m so bad at the minute I don’t think it’s working properly but I don’t want to increase it again - I get twitchy muscles in my legs & arms also my eye sometimes twitches - all very odd - I am nearly always tense so it could be the muscles reacting
It also happens in my sleep & wakes me up - I have found lately that something makes me jump while I’m asleep & wakes me up
Hoping to get some decent sleep tonight 🤞
X

N

navhealth

Hi i am recent to all this..my first panic attack was a month ago and my life has not been the same since..can somebody please tell me if constant arm numbness throughout the day and night is a symptom of anxiety..

sometimes ill have a mini sort of moment where i can feel i am going too or am panicing just for a minute and i quickly calm myself..and this is because of my arms being numb!!!! making me think it is a heart attack or something.

I am so fed up of my arm numbness it is taking over my life

Anybody have similiar symtoms?

S

Steff1990

Hi i am recent to all this..my first panic attack was a month ago and my life has not been the same since..can somebody please tell me if constant arm numbness throughout the day and night is a symptom of anxiety..

sometimes ill have a mini sort of moment where i can feel i am going too or am panicing just for a minute and i quickly calm myself..and this is because of my arms being numb!!!! making me think it is a heart attack or something.

I am so fed up of my arm numbness it is taking over my life

Anybody have similiar symtoms?
Yes! Definitely a symptom. I actually went to a physio for weeks because they thought I had a trapped nerve. And it wasn't improving at all. I also had neck and shoulder pain but apparently this goes with having anxiety and tense muscles etc. Sometimes I get numbness in my fingers too but I have had where my whole arm feels numb. It's a very strange thing.