Physical and mental illness,anyone else?

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

I have a degenerative physical illness which I can occasionally find to be very exhausting - like today. Usually my sense of humour keeps me upright at least but it's really just p*****g me off today.

Does anyone else have a physical and mental illness? If so,how do you juggle this? What tricks do you use to keep going?

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Theres a couple of people I know on here enduring the combined travails of physical and mental challenges.

Personally I've been "lucky" so far in that regard. Near enough entirely mental, with the exception of tinnitus, which once drove me nuts, but is now an accepted part of my soundscape, so to speak. I've found that seriously reducing caffeine helps a lot with that, something I've always known, but stubbornly disregarded.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I have COPD, diabetes, hypertension, sciatica and arthritis in the shoulder, and bipolar. I'm falling apart! The COPD is the worst one, I find I get tired easily. But I manage by ignoring my body altogether and expecting it to get on with whatever it feels like doing.

Being someone who never has any idea what state my MH is in, until I get to crisis, I don't have any idea if one makes the other worse. I just move into mind numbing depressions, or highs which had me brought home by the police, the last but one, and no insight until I can't do something or someone tells me! Luckily, I have family and friends who will step in and tell me to watch out, and I listen to them now. I will do anything NOT to ever go back into psych hospital again.

I think the meds for the sciatica when it was terrible, did affect me. Tramadol and antipsychotics don't mix.

C

Christobel

I think being schizoaffective and old should definitely qualify for mental and physical problems. I went for a family bike ride at the weekend and when I dismounted I could hardly put one foot in front of the other! :)

confusedwanderwaffle

confusedwanderwaffle

I've not been assessed for other things; they were only interested in diagnosing if i was on the autistic spectrum for aspergers which was..a yes.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

You have my sympathy, Christobel! I do some extreme sports but not for a while.

It's going to HURT when I get back to it! If I do :/

Hope you recovered well :)

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Nikita,that is exactly how it feels,you read my mind! I'm so glad someone gets it but wish people weren't going through it.

It's like I'm meant to be all things to all people. Not to physically ill,not too mentally ill,smile at everyone,don't worry my husband or family,pretend everything is just fine and hold it together with work. It just. doesn't. work!

You were so unlucky with the hyperthyroidism though,my mum has that. It causes an imbalance in mood too,I keep having to get mine checked,it's always normal though. Which I'm pleased about,like I don't have enough conditions to worry about!

Thank you for this reply,I'll learn to structure my day better. It's the stress of holding it all together that kills me though...

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Tramadol can be bothersome alright,Calypso,chat to your doc about that.

Yeah,I think at this point my skull is held together with wire mesh and duct tape so I feel your pain lol. You seem to have a good attitude about it though. You're right it's the tiredness. I get by I guess,it just....well there are days,y'know?

Thankfully not arrived home in a cop car though,well not since my teens!

calypso

calypso

Admin
The constable, John, is on first name terms with me - which is quite disconcerting, but funny. I got, "Hello Debby, I think you might be a little high, don't you?" as I'm giving out £5 notes to people in my pyjamas on the sea front. I didn't feel cold at all, all that adrenalin.

I did tell him once that I would deck him if he sectioned me! He didn't, but brought me home, made me a coffee and rang my friend to come and collect me for the night. My poor friend! I got a bollocking for not getting help and not taking an extra dose of meds!

Sorry, this is hijacking the thread. I'll be quiet now.

xxx

Last edited:
JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Oh wow lol! Where's this seafront? You must tell me the next time you're on a high lol :p

I used to be on a first name basis with the cops at home in Ireland. It is somewhat unnerving but as it transpired I was blackmailed by them into my career. They did me a favour in a weird,underhanded way. After they'd breathalysed me for the Fifth time in one night! I wasn't drunk,I was manic and 15.

Funny night though ;) x

calypso

calypso

Admin
Morecambe Bay. Morecambe is not a salubrious place, but the Bay is utterly beautiful and the sunsets are unbelievable. Trouble is, I wander off in my PJs to look and then things just go on from there. I'm trying very hard to be good, take my meds and not disappear down the rabbit hole.

They were going to give me a spinal block for my spinal trouble, but the doc was very worried about my mood when I went to get it and wouldn't do it as I couldn't sit still - not a great thing if they are putting something in your spine! He did laugh a lot though - I think I got through every joke in my repertoire. (The depression hit later - so I don't actually like the highs because of that).

nerothehaarpmachine

nerothehaarpmachine

Yes, I have Marfan syndrome (a hereditary disorder of connective tissue) and about 50 dB hearing loss in both ears.
I'm not sure if any of my mental problems is linked to my physical conditions.