phoned british gas

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
phoned british gas about the warm home discount as the date for applications has opened, gave details don't know if i use more than 10% of my money on fuel, or whether my income is below a certain amount though the boxes need ticking, if universal credit the rent counts as income as it's paid direct to me, i might have problems

they say the application will be referred to a 3rd party to be assessed sounds like the dwp and atos

i started to ask whether i could have a proper meter and pay by direct debit but the line wend dead, think they have to take so many calls a shift and long calls make it difficult to reach the amount

last time i asked i was told they'd done a credit check and i failed, i think theres grounds if you have problems going to the shop for a top up due to disability, i could argue social anxiety, though it'd be better coming from a social wanker or carer

Z

Zoe1

I got a warm home discount last year from EDF

all they did was ask my permission
for them to speak to DWP to see if I qualified

I dont think I filled in any paperwork

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yes usually they just contact the dwp, i hope i'm not one they check on and i wonder what the criteria is for been one thats checked on, i'd struggle to provide the relevant proofs

annnoyed my neighbours come back from holiday her tv is booming away if i complain it will be a symptom and not taken seriously, maybe i should be grateful she's not violent or has a alcohol habit like me

the credit check was for a meter and nothing to do with the warm home discount as written it was ambiguous

Z

Zoe1

I have complained about neighbours
and I think Environmental Health know about my mental health issues
because they have also comoplained about me
during some of my episodes

ive complained about a dog that was constantly barking
and it was dealt with successfully, hopefully humanely to the dog

ive complained about like you say tv screens
or one neighbour was doing war games for about 4 hours a night
I complained about that one face to face
without involving EH

people dont have a right to walk over me
just because of my MH

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i just doubt the housing assoc would take my side over what they'd call a vulnerable pensioner and i'd only piss off said vulnerable pensioner, i'd rather with my mental health avoid nasty vibes

people do have the right to walk over you because of your mental health, and the police will enforce said right,it's like that ex con saying no one lays a hand on me, next time in prison a lot of people will lay hands on him

Z

Zoe1

I dont think they are supposed to tell the pensioner that you complained

you could also say its about mediation
rather than a complaint is another way to put it

maybe something could be worked out
so her tv is not on all the time at that volume

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
they weren't supposed to tell people i complained about the problem kids but the caretaker was one of the problem familys who had been promoted from the ramks, with a nice sideline in blaming all the problems in the area on housing mentally ill people, it'd get back to the kids who#d select you for special attention, there were a no of oaps frightened to complain

if they started on at my neighbour about her tv she'd put 2 and 2 together easily, assuming they didn't assume it was a symptom of my illness maybe i am over sensitive to noise due to illlness, though i don't think so

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
to get back on topic british gas i asked to install a meter and i pay by direct debit, instead of me going to a shop to get money put on a card and inserting it in the meter

among other things it's cheaper and a no of the small cheaper suppliers require a meter

they did a credit check and said i wasn't credit worthy, god knows why as a few weeks ago the dwp were investigating my savings, i've looked on a credit site i've got a poor credit rating, details i'd have to pay

i think disability alllows you to have a meter even if not credit worthy, if you can't get to the shops, i could argue my illness efffects my ability to go out agoraphobia but suspect the argument would be better coming from a carer, unfortunately i haven't one

also the 3 shops down the end of the road don't do fuel any more theres only one left the other side, and a lot of these shops they expect you to buy something if you don't you get told the machine isn't working

fazza

fazza

There are a number of energy companies that now do online top-up. Boost energy is one of them. It's ovo's sister company. They are pretty good and the cheapest prepay that I have found.

I have used them for the past 2 years and never had a problem. You can also set up rolling top ups so you never forget.

The only problem is that you have to have smart meters installed. They organise this for you and it takes about 3 weeks.

Eventually everyone will be switched to a smart meter.

Have a look on the uswitch website for a comparison pre payment customers can save money but I agree that those who pay by bill will always get a better deal

Funnyday

Funnyday

I prefer pre payment energy accounts. It stops you from receiving large bills that can throw out your budgeting.

Z

Zoe1

if they started on at my neighbour about her tv she'd put 2 and 2 together easily, assuming they didn't assume it was a symptom of my illness maybe i am over sensitive to noise due to illlness, though i don't think so
well how loud is it though ?
you have shut down the whole idea that you are entitled to ask for help
and to share your worries about being discriminated

same with the energy thing
if you assume that you do have rights and that people have to respect them
then you are coming at it with a more assertive stance

bit of a fight sometimes

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i made a total idiot of myself in the old user rights days (remember them) going on about rights i didn't have, said to one social worker you have a legal duty to help me, he said i don't have a legal duty to do anything

though now i might have rights, when i finally found a lawyer it turned out he was right, now well with the cutting of legal aid there would be no lawyer

Z

Zoe1

well a social worker who says that he does not have a legal duty to help you
should be reported ...

I think there are ways round the legal aid thing
if you phone up a practice that deals with MH
and explain the situation , they might help

or there is the Citizens Advice Bureau
and various advocacy services

it isn't easy, but people are still claiming their rights

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
remember one friend talking about this lawyer he had, i said i think you have to have been sectioned, he said no, phoned them you have to have been sectioned

never thought i'd regret volunteering when threatened, but maybe just as well, they wanted me to have another course of shock treatment, if i'd been sectioned i wouldn't have been able to refuse

Z

Zoe1

wow yes I'm really lucky that didnt happen to me as well

when I was sectioned this advocate appeared on the wards
that I had worked with on a benefit appeal

it was like seeing an old friend

yes maybe ive just been lucky

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
british gas sent me a letter saying they'd reduced the price of gas but today they've sent a letter saying i'll pay more, seems and i'm guessing they've raised the standing charge

may look into a proper meter and then changing to a smaller supplier, i used an energy comparison site for needy people gave my usage they suggested robin hood which i since heard went bust then sainsburys which you need a proper meter for and i'm not sure if they do the warm home discount, money off a lot of the small suppliers are exempt

fazza

fazza

british gas sent me a letter saying they'd reduced the price of gas but today they've sent a letter saying i'll pay more, seems and i'm guessing they've raised the standing charge

may look into a proper meter and then changing to a smaller supplier, i used an energy comparison site for needy people gave my usage they suggested robin hood which i since heard went bust then sainsburys which you need a proper meter for and i'm not sure if they do the warm home discount, money off a lot of the small suppliers are exempt
Did Ovo energy come up in the list? You do need a smart meter buy they sort that. With it being Smart you can either pay monthly standard cheaper tarrif or prepay like you are doing already. Only difference is that you top up online or by APP

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whats APP, i don't know last time i asked for a meter they did a credit check and said i wasn't credit worthy, ironic as the dwp has been investigating me for savings

fazza

fazza

app on your phone Rambo. you do not need a credit check with ovo for a new meter if you go pay as you go. That department is run by their sister company.

Also when I switched to ovo I had the choice of pay monthly direct debit or pay as you go I opted for monthly direct debit and no credit check was done at all.

You do not have to pay anything for the new meter and it works for both pay as you go or standard monthly direct debits. They change both your gas and electric meters and meter reading are done automatically. You also get a handy device that sits in your living room telling you how much energy you are using.

Its worth thinking about but remember to shop around. I only speak highly of ovo because they have been very good with us and have very helpful staff at the call centre.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
firstly i don't know if that company would be cheaper and secondly i'm wondering with smart meters they're prioritising homes where it's a distance between each meter reading hard for a human and time consuming costing more in wages

incidentally if either of us end up in hospital it could be a change of circumstances as certain benefits stop when we come out it'd be universal credit