• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Phone anxiety

L

lizyorange

I do find myself avoiding speaking to others on the phone more than face to face. I can't even write an email to my boss to tell him if the location of our company party is ok. It always take me days to answer to someone by text and even when I do I write, erase, write, erase...never ending. Do some of you experience this or something similar? How you get over your anxiety or at least try?

bulbie

bulbie

I get this. Even right now, I have an email in my inbox from the music school waiting to be answered. i've been putting it off since last night... Phone calls I only tackle when I feel I can, which isn't very often, but even when I do, I'm still pooping myself.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I get it with answering phone calls. I hate it when the phone rings and have disabled my answering machine and my providers answering service so that nobody can leave a message on my home phone. This said, I'm more than happy to text or email.

I don't know the best way to overcome this. Do you have a friend or family member with whom you could practice (for want of a better word) instantly texting and emailing? You could do it while in the same room as that person so that they can encourage you. It might sound silly but I was just thinking along the lines of desensitisation. Also, I often find the more I do something, the easier it becomes.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Speaking on the phone is my worse nightmare. It is very rare that I actually speak on the phone, even with my family but then again I'm ok with speaking on the phone with my family.

With me is rallies around how anxious I am about my voice, how I say things etc. If I could record what I say and listen to it back first it would be so much better and I would be a lot more comfortable.

Texting and emailing are ok for me because then I can check for mistakes etc

B

Broddo_Faggins

I had to leave a message earlier on my bosses phone saying I quit my temp job. I made a script and read from it. my voice was shaky as hell. bet they'll have a right laugh in the morning. also have the agency woman giving me an ear bashing to look forward to yay.

T

Titus

I HATE using the phones. I usually ignore almost all incoming calls unless it is from someone I know very well. I try to do as much communicating as I can over email or text. It gives me the opportunity to think about what I want to say, or how to best reply to someone.

W

Waverunner

I also have massive anxiety around answering the phone. Making calls I don't find easy either. Been like that since a child as well, no idea of the cause.

C

Christobel

I just won't pick up the phone if it rings. When my husband asks me why I didn't answer it I say 'it stopped just as I got to it!' I wonder if it is a GAD thing, which I have had as a diagnosis in the past?

bulbie

bulbie

I just won't pick up the phone if it rings. When my husband asks me why I didn't answer it I say 'it stopped just as I got to it!' I wonder if it is a GAD thing, which I have had as a diagnosis in the past?
I'd say it's a good candidate at least. Certainly the most prominent feeling I get when the phone goes.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

My partner will not answer the phone ever and he had been diagnosed with GAD. He thinks it stems from a period in his life when he had quite a few traumatic phone calls. I always answer the phone in our house. Sometimes I wonder if that isn't just 'enabling' him or whatever the term is but I don't mind and it works. It's an individual thing though - he doesn't have a problem with phoning other people and when we were 'courting' (sorry for the old-fashioned term - dunno how else to describe it) and were 500 miles apart we arranged for me to phone him at 10 every night and then he would pick the phone up after one ring. One of the reasons I fell for him despite all his MH diagnoses!

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I never answer the phone either. I think it may stem from having my mum listen to my phone calls if anyone rang me, and not being allowed to use the phone and trying to use it secretlly if she went out and being scared she would catch me.

But it might just be part of my general anxiety.

I have to ring my housing about repairs, I have been putting it off for ages but they don't bother answering emails so I will have to do it before my flat falls apart

L

LittleBee

Personally I'm a real call screener. It's very rare for someone to call me socially and for me to answer straight away. I often call people back later when I've worked myself up to it.

It's interesting that you can do the face to face thing but texts and emails are where you feel nervous. I wonder if there is something in the fact that emails and texts are something physical, in black and white, whereas a conversation isn't recorded?