• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Phobias.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Does any one have any ?

Vomiting ----------- Emetophobia.
Snakes - -----------Ophidiophobia or Snakephobia.
Poisoned, being ---- Toxiphobia, Toxophobia, or Toxicophobia.

The above are just some examples .

Last edited:
Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I don't know if there is a name for my phobia, but I have a phobia of 'bits'. As in, bits of fluff on my clothes, a crumb on the floor, a tiny mark on the wall....small, irrelevant bits & pieces that just wreck my karma. Can't rest until they are dealt with.

It's probably not a phobia at all.

D

Dollit

I'm hypnophobic which is a bit of a bummer since sleep is supposed to be one of the things that helps me.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hi Dollit :D:hug:

What's a hypnophobic? Are you afraid to go to sleep?

D

Dollit

Absolutely terrified of sleep. Yet I know when I do sleep it's very healing especially when I'm not well. I'm not well today and I've begun a journal because I'm a bit scared that if I keep it in I'll wreck myself. I've rung a friend who was gentleness and love incarnate and I'm holding on to that.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
What terrifies you about sleep Dollit?

I saw a storyline on a tv programme involving something similar to this recently.

D

Dollit

It goes back to nuns (and my mum) who used to tell us to say a prayer on a night about god taking your soul if you die. Cr** way to treat a four year old but that the RC church for you. It never left me and even though I know the logic and the science and have my own sense of strong disbelief it never seems to lessen the hold on me. Being the patient I am and getting so much attention from people we have went into this big time and still I lie down on a night and am convinced I'm going to die.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
That must be awful dollit being scared of going to sleep. The only time ive had it is when im go thru night terrors, but to constantly suffer it must be awful. Do you take antid or sleepers to help you

I have a phobia of worms. Even typing the word maked my toes curl.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
yes, although the reason is diffirent this is the same as the story I heard. I'm going to go away and think about this. My kid is clawing at me now and I'll have to see to him. Speak later :)

D

Dollit

Hi Daffy, no I don't take antid's as they make me manic. I take zopiclone when the going gets too tough. I've slept this afternoon as I'm having a really bad time now and so I talked to a friend and took some valium and slept a while. I'll take zopiclone tonight because I know sleep really is a fantastic healer. I get sleep paralysis whilst under stress too, both going to sleep and waking up, so bed is a battle ground for me at times. I love worms.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I have a phobia of worms. Even typing the word maked my toes curl.
Worms ------- Scoleciphobia.
Worms, being infested with ------- Helminthophobia.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Oooower. I hope you realise what youve just done to me. God i hate the things:scared:

D

Dollit

She's lying Daffy - she pm'd me and said watch me make Daffy jump! :LOL: Actually I have a really big fear that I rarely talk about because people laugh and it's actually quite common (two, really, the other being clowns) and that's balloons. I once went to a conference and there was a balloon under my chair and I wouldn't put my feet on the floor or get off the chair until someone from the hotel had come in and taken it away. :unsure:

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
phobia

i don't like balloons either but not phobic about them.

i cannot even write the word down of the thing i have a phobia about as just thinking about it makes me want to be sick so i understand about how difficult it is to get help to overcome a phobia.