• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

phobias

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Felt sorry for this thread as no one had posted on it.

Well apart from the normal claustrophobia and agorophobia (mild) I have an absolute terror of worms. Even typing the word makes me cringe oh and slugs as they have been part of my hallucinations at one point.

But worms have been my all time fear, my kids used to laugh hysterically when i was gardening cos id put the spade in and turn up the inevitable worm, scream blue murder, run into the house and have to wash myself.

I have tried over the years to amke myself look at them for longer periods and can just about cope. (Im typing this with my toes curled up. lol) But i still have nightmares about them and regularly strip my bed to double check there is nothing there.:scared:

Any more nastys out there

D

Dollit

I quite like them myself Daffy. My biggest phobia (apart from the dentist) is hypnophobia which is fear of sleep and sleeping. It makes for a very interesting life. I put it down to being told, when I was 4 years old, that everytime I went to sleep I was practising how to die and that if I wasn't a good girl then god would send me to hell. Oh those enlightened nuns in the catholic church! It doesn't help that I get sleep paralysis (more on waking than going to sleep) - indoctrination and imagination, what a combination! :tea:

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
I quite like them myself Daffy. My biggest phobia (apart from the dentist) is hypnophobia which is fear of sleep and sleeping. It makes for a very interesting life. I put it down to being told, when I was 4 years old, that everytime I went to sleep I was practising how to die and that if I wasn't a good girl then god would send me to hell. Oh those enlightened nuns in the catholic church! It doesn't help that I get sleep paralysis (more on waking than going to sleep) - indoctrination and imagination, what a combination! :tea:

oh how awful !!:eek:

i do remember having to say some prayer at hometime in the infants which included the line ".. and if i die before i wake, i pray thee lord my soul to take"

:scared::scared:

i used to be petrified every night that i might die in my sleep and would ritually position myself in a non death like psition (ie not on my back with my arms crossed or even at my side)
i used to wake up crying that i didnt want to die.. and as it dawned on my little mind that everybody dies, i used to wake up hysterical cos i didnt want my mum to die :cry:

actually, after having a few brushes with the grim reaper himself i would say its still one of my biggest fears :unsure:

D

Dollit

Oh yes Sandybob! I remember that line out of that prayer! And my mum wonders why I'm an atheist! :tea:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
My daughter was watching a prog about the bugs (good and bad) on our bodies and it said that if you sleep with your mouth open you could swallow as many as 3 spiders a night, and shes terrified of them, so for ages she slept with a surgical type mask on:eek:

D

Dollit

Daffy that's awful! That sort of stuff doesn't bother me. I'm just scared that when I go to sleep I'll never wake up and that there will be this terrific mess that I've left behind me and that my cats will starve because, although I make lots of work-type friendships, I don't build personal relationships at all well. Poor spiders - I love spiders.:sleep::sleep::tea:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
For me it's rodents and those bridges that let you see underneath , petrified they gonna break and i fall.

I walked over one last year tightly holding some ones hand and panicking all the way. Once i was back on concrete i felt ill :cry:

F

Fruitcake

Founding Member
Well, this may sound odd, but my phobia is aboutn vomiting. Being ill myself, being near someone who is ill, talking about it, knowing someone who has been ill, knowing someone who knows someone etc...seeing it, hearing it, even on TV etc. So when I saw on the news about that Winter Vomiting Bug, that didn't really help. I think my problems with food/hygiene/my OCD stem from this weird phobia. Even a few years ago, before I was ill, when one of my housemates at uni had a stomach bug or something I didnt want to go near her in case I caught it.

D

Dollit

Hi Fruitcake - I've heard of so many people with emetophobia (is that the right spelling or am I being inventive?!) and I think it's a natural one. I have a huge gag reaction and I'm sick about once a week just brushing my teeth but the panic and anxiety I feel when I know it's going to happen is quite out of proportion. I don't have a phobia about it, I don't like it particularly but I can understand perfectly how it could become a phobia. :tea:

R

rose

Founding Member
fear

hi
i have severe emetophobia , your not alone itsthe 5th most common phobia , but even doctors dont understand it , i supose its cos people with it try to hide it
there is a site /forum callet emetonline , also gut reaction , you could try those
i got this fear when five and had food poisoning i remember every blooming detail down to the time and what i was wearing
i now have anti emetics , aka anti sickness drugs
there are some people out there with emet that cant even say the word vomit , so there is hope for you to contain this fear
other than emet and all my mh probs no fears dont like spiders though and we seem to get some whoppers in our house and i swear they watch you and then kinda pounce towards you
i have looked a right nut , waving the hoover around trying to suck them up
dont seem to have a glass wide enough for these beasts :eek:

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I know someone who has a phobia of used tea bags - seriously. As for me a bit of claustrophobia, had agoraphobia and a toilet phobia but I ain't enlarging on that. Phobias are real for many people and although some find it amusing it isn't when you're going through it. Anyone had hypochondria during their illness? Would be interested to find out.

D

Dollit

Yes Mad Hatter I can do hypochondria from time to time too. My particular vice is that everytime I get a headache I have a brain haemorrhage but I also get menigitis a lot too. I am generally very wingey when it comes to physical illness, I almost take my bipolar in its stride (but not quite) compared to that - I've got a cold this week and the whole world knows about it.

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
colds are like a major disease to me sometimes

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i am somewhat of a hypochondriac. possibly stemming from my real experiences .. (i must tell you all about that in my donkey diary blog thing, rather than vaguely referring to stuff cos i dont wanna be hogging a thread with my ailments :D

watch this space

well. ok .. not this one .. the donkey diary one :rolleyes:

F

Fruitcake

Founding Member
Thanks for those messages. It's good to know I'm not the only one. The weird thing is, I don't even know when or how this phobia started. I've never had that many problems or times when I have been sick. and the anti-anxiety medication I'm on at the moment, is also used to treat vomiting, which is kind of a bonus. Doesnt make me any less paranoid about it though!