• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Phobias and Head Tension/headaches. Possible food intolerance.

Empish

Empish

sorry to hear that. Now that I have sussed out the connection with the food intolerances things are so much easier. I still get anxious in certain situations but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I think the problems the tannin caused with my head/brain made it very difficult for me to process stress so it built up and up and up until I would have a panic attack or anxiety attack. I really don't think I would have suffered like that if I didn't have the tannin intolerance. If I do get anxiety now I do yoga which always helps.
Are you eager to get off meds or do you not mind taking them?

I

Inie

sorry to hear that. Now that I have sussed out the connection with the food intolerances things are so much easier. I still get anxious in certain situations but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I think the problems the tannin caused with my head/brain made it very difficult for me to process stress so it built up and up and up until I would have a panic attack or anxiety attack. I really don't think I would have suffered like that if I didn't have the tannin intolerance. If I do get anxiety now I do yoga which always helps.
Are you eager to get off meds or do you not mind taking them?
The tannins really have major effect on you. Glad you were able to figure it out. When I eat certain foods I get the same reaction. Just found out squash contains tannins and I love eating squash soup. I have it often. So now I will see if I feel any better by eliminating it or maybe just cutting down on it. What do you think? Glad the yoga is working for you. I wish I can be off meds but I don’t think I can function without them. I was taking Benzos daily but I successfully kicked that habit. Are you on any meds?

Empish

Empish

There wouldn't really be any point in you avoiding just squash you would have to avoid all foods that contain tannin to see if there was any difference. Also a lot of medications contain corn starch or other things with tannin in so you might have to wait until you were able to come off them as well before you tried a tannin elimination diet. The only meds I have taken were propranolol. I didn't take them all the time just when I wanted to go and do something social or if I started a new job. I did use essential oils a lot which helped quite a bit...have you ever tried them? The being afraid of being around people and also of being alone must be really trying. I have never had a problem being on my own.

I

Inie

There wouldn't really be any point in you avoiding just squash you would have to avoid all foods that contain tannin to see if there was any difference. Also a lot of medications contain corn starch or other things with tannin in so you might have to wait until you were able to come off them as well before you tried a tannin elimination diet. The only meds I have taken were propranolol. I didn't take them all the time just when I wanted to go and do something social or if I started a new job. I did use essential oils a lot which helped quite a bit...have you ever tried them? The being afraid of being around people and also of being alone must be really trying. I have never had a problem being on my own.
What a coincidence I also take Propranolol but I take low a dose 10mg once a day and everyday. I’ve tried numerous AD with no success. That elimination diet sounds tough. How are you able to do it? I’m unsure of all products that contain it. I’ve haven’t tried the essential oils. Do you use a diffuser? I‘ve never had a problem before being alone until I got nervous breakdown. There was life stressors happening all at once. I’m doing better just the isolation with the lockdown makes things worse. How do you keep yourself busy?

Empish

Empish

I avoid tannin 4 or 5 days a week. It's a very bland diet and although tannin isn't in meat I won't eat it because I'm a pescatarian (eat fish but no other meats), so my main meal of the day is usually plain eggs or plain fish with some plain veg and grains. the only breakfast cereal I can eat is porridge or shredded wheat because all other cereals contain barley which has tannin in. I pretty much live on flapjacks and pancakes and I have to make my own bread as all shop bought bread has got some kind of tannin in it. It's really hard as I am a real foodie...love spices and herbs, sauces and that kind of thing but I can only eat those sorts of things 2 or 3 half days a week. I will usually time it so my symptoms mainly come on while I'm asleep and for a few hours in the mornings. I think I have the intolerances because my dad smoked in the house throughout my whole childhood. Tannin and nightshades are both in Tobacco.

What is AD?

Empish

Empish

I've been keeping myself busy by doing an online yoga course and lots of walking in nature.
I usually use the oils in massage but sometimes a diffuser as well.

I

Inie

I avoid tannin 4 or 5 days a week. It's a very bland diet and although tannin isn't in meat I won't eat it because I'm a pescatarian (eat fish but no other meats), so my main meal of the day is usually plain eggs or plain fish with some plain veg and grains. the only breakfast cereal I can eat is porridge or shredded wheat because all other cereals contain barley which has tannin in. I pretty much live on flapjacks and pancakes and I have to make my own bread as all shop bought bread has got some kind of tannin in it. It's really hard as I am a real foodie...love spices and herbs, sauces and that kind of thing but I can only eat those sorts of things 2 or 3 half days a week. I will usually time it so my symptoms mainly come on while I'm asleep and for a few hours in the mornings. I think I have the intolerances because my dad smoked in the house throughout my whole childhood. Tannin and nightshades are both in Tobacco.

What is AD?
I eat mostly fish but occasionally eat red meat since I’m low on iron. I eat eggs for breakfast almost everyday. Your diet is similar to mine. My diet use to be very bland before when my IBS was really bad. Found out all my stomach issues were from anxiety. When I treated the anxiety the IBS went away. You must have patience making your own bread. So you have a bread maker? That a good idea sleeping off the reaction. I wouldn’t guessed tobacoco can be a culprit. Thankfully I’m not around it.

Empish

Empish

I don't have a bread maker I do it by hand, it's not too difficult.
I also had IBS at one point but I'm fine now.
Sorry to hear about your breakdown and the problem it has caused with being alone. I think meditation is good for recovering from that sort of thing. How long ago did that happen?

I

Inie

I don't have a bread maker I do it by hand, it's not too difficult.
I also had IBS at one point but I'm fine now.
Sorry to hear about your breakdown and the problem it has caused with being alone. I think meditation is good for recovering from that sort of thing. How long ago did that happen?
Thats great how you can make bread by hand.
Having IBS was a pain but glad we are both fine now.
The breakdown started 3 years ago my job as a special ed teacher and dealing with very challenging students. My mom having terminal cancer. She eventually passed away but the suffering she endured was heartbreaking to watch. I’m glad she is at peace now. I visit her at the cemetery twice a month.
I should be practicing mindfulness more often.
Do you work. How do you keep yourself busy?

Empish

Empish

Hi,

sorry I fell asleep, will write again later in the day.

Empish

Empish

Sorry to hear about your mum, that alone is a really tough thing to go through and to have the pressure of a stressful job on top must have been a lot to cope with.

I'm not working at the moment but I'm doing an online Yoga Teacher training course. I'm also gathering information and planning a Website about Tannin Intolerance as there isn't a comprehensive website that lists all foods that contain tannin.

Don't know if you are interested in alternative therapy but I know that Lavender essential oil is good for Panic attacks and Phobias as well as anxiety. Theres lots of info on the net about it as well as other essential oils. Also a good quality multivitamin and mineral tablet with high B vitamins are good for bringing anxiety down a notch or two. Maybe you've already tried them.

I

Inie

Sorry to hear about your mum, that alone is a really tough thing to go through and to have the pressure of a stressful job on top must have been a lot to cope with.

I'm not working at the moment but I'm doing an online Yoga Teacher training course. I'm also gathering information and planning a Website about Tannin Intolerance as there isn't a comprehensive website that lists all foods that contain tannin.

Don't know if you are interested in alternative therapy but I know that Lavender essential oil is good for Panic attacks and Phobias as well as anxiety. Theres lots of info on the net about it as well as other essential oils. Also a good quality multivitamin and mineral tablet with high B vitamins are good for bringing anxiety down a notch or two. Maybe you've already tried them.
I could not no longer handle the stress of my job it was effecting my mental health terribly so I left. It’s been close to 3 years and I’ve been out of work. I went through bout of depression right after but I’ve accepted the circumstances. My husband supports me emotionally and financially.
My mom passed the beginning of this year and even through I knew she was dying you’re never prepared. My pet died the same week so it was a very tough time.The grief remains but I do my best to cope.
I do take daily vitamins and extra b complex. I want to be off my meds unfortunately I can’t because I also have neurological condition that I need to control.
Good luck with the Yoga teaching. It sounds ideal and an relaxing job. Let me know how it turns out.
How has your day been?

I

Inie

I had my squash soup and while eating felt the anxiety creeping up so I took a Propranolol before it escalates. Does this happen to you with the tannins? Hate to give up my squash but also don’t want to feel bad.

Empish

Empish

I had a great day yesterday thanks, went for a long walk in some lovely woods with an amazing bluebell display.
That's great that your husband is supporting you, it sounds like you are feeling burnt out but eventually you will recover from the grief and stress of losing your mum and pet.
The tannin in the squash would not have effected you that quickly. If you were intolerant to tannin you would be suffering from the symptoms already anyway because you are no doubt eating lots of other things in your diet that contain tannin. When I have done my tannin website I will let you know, it will explain things better.

Hope you are having a better day!