• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Phobias and Head Tension/headaches. Possible food intolerance.

Empish

Empish

Hi,
I'm looking to talk to anyone who suffers from Phobias and Tension in the head, face, throat and neck.

I

Inie

Hi. I suffer from agoraphobia. I get head, arm and chest tension. I deal with anxiety and depression. I take my meds. to keep me balanced. I have okay and bad days but l do my best to cope. Hope you are having an okay day.

Empish

Empish

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are suffering form agoraphobia. I used to suffer from social phobia and once I managed to control the panic attacks continued to suffer from social anxiety disorder until I worked out that I have two food intolerances that effect my nervous system (nightshades) and my head/brain (tannin). The reason I started this thread is to try and let people know that their phobias and anxiety may be caused or exacerbated by food intolerances.

Do you have tension in your head, arms and chest most of the time or only if you attempt to go outside?

I

Inie

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are suffering form agoraphobia. I used to suffer from social phobia and once I managed to control the panic attacks continued to suffer from social anxiety disorder until I worked out that I have two food intolerances that effect my nervous system (nightshades) and my head/brain (tannin). The reason I started this thread is to try and let people know that their phobias and anxiety may be caused or exacerbated by food intolerances.

Do you have tension in your head, arms and chest most of the time or only if you attempt to go outside?
I forgot to mention I also suffer from panic disorder and social phobia. My panic attacks are mostly control now with my meds. But it was a long road get to where I am now. I think I also have a NS sensitivity so I try to avoid them. What happens to you when you consume NS foods? I believe your theory is correct that anxiety can be exacerbated by food intolerances. I noticed when I eat certain foods my anxiety skyrockets. The tension I get in my body mostly happens when am out of the house or when I’m having heightened anxiety. So how are you coping?

Empish

Empish

Nightshades cause a very intense anxious and irritable feeling right in my core where the nervous system is. It's a very physical kind of anxiety that literally used to make me rattle constantly. It also caused a lot of tension in my eyes that made me feel very self conscious when I had to make eye contact with others. Yoga did help to reduce the symptoms but not completely.

I

Inie

Nightshades cause a very intense anxious and irritable feeling right in my core where the nervous system is. It's a very physical kind of anxiety that literally used to make me rattle constantly. It also caused a lot of tension in my eyes that made me feel very self conscious when I had to make eye contact with others. Yoga did help to reduce the symptoms but not completely.
Thanks for sharing. I have those same feelings with certain foods. It such a bad feeling. I can’t seem to tolerate chicken as well. I wonder if it contains tannins. Are you okay avoiding the tannins and NS or do you have constant anxiety. Mine is always there and it fluctuates throughout the day.

Empish

Empish

I feel so much better when I don't eat nightshades and tannin. Tannin has really weird effect on my head. It creates a very intense pressure inside and around my whole head, effects my perception, makes my mind feel disconnected from my body and causes tension in my face, throat and back of my neck. Sometimes the tension was so bad it would make me feel nauseous.
Tannin is in lots of different kinds of food and a tannin free diet is very boring so I usually go 4 - 5 days where I don't eat anything that contains tannin and have 2 -3 half days where I eat foods that contain tannin.

Do you realise that caffeine makes anxiety a lot worse.

Empish

Empish

I still suffer a little with anxiety when I don't eat those foods but use yoga and meditation if necessary.

I

Inie

I feel so much better when I don't eat nightshades and tannin. Tannin has really weird effect on my head. It creates a very intense pressure inside and around my whole head, effects my perception, makes my mind feel disconnected from my body and causes tension in my face, throat and back of my neck. Sometimes the tension was so bad it would make me feel nauseous.
Tannin is in lots of different kinds of food and a tannin free diet is very boring so I usually go 4 - 5 days where I don't eat anything that contains tannin and have 2 -3 half days where I eat foods that contain tannin.

Do you realise that caffeine makes anxiety a lot worse.
I strictly avoid caffeine but I have not eliminated chocolate. I eat in moderation but I know I should avoid it. You really have ill effects with the intolerance. Who introduced you to this diet? What foods contains tannins?

Empish

Empish

I met a few people who are intolerant to foods high in tannin but not all tannins and I knew that red wine always increased my symptoms so I started looking into other foods that contain tannin on the net. There are also a few websites that list a lot of the tannin foods but I have never found one that lists all tannin foods. It took about two years of experimenting before I sussed it out completely. I am presently putting all of my info together for a website but have to wait until I have the funds to put it on the net. tannin is in about 80% of the foods most people eat, too many to list here.

I have to go now but will write again tomorrow.

I

Inie

Thanks for the helpful info. Red wine makes me ill. Stopped drinking years ago. I will try to look up a list of tannin foods. It is good to keep track of foods that you have a reaction to. Can’t believe 80% of most foods people eat contain it.

Nice chatting with you. Have a good evening.

Empish

Empish

I will write a list of all the foods that contain Tannin over the next couple of days and post it here.
How long have you had agoraphobia?

I

Inie

I will write a list of all the foods that contain Tannin over the next couple of days and post it here.
How long have you had agoraphobia?
Thanks. I‘ve had anxiety most of my life but up until 3 years ago is when the anxiety worsen and the agoraphobia started. Was put on wrong meds which gave me panic attacks. They are mostly controlled now and with my current meds. The negative thoughts constantly linger in my mind. I also have health anxiety so every sensation I feel get attention from me. How ‘bout you what bothers you?

Empish

Empish

Thanks. I‘ve had anxiety most of my life but up until 3 years ago is when the anxiety worsen and the agoraphobia started. Was put on wrong meds which gave me panic attacks. They are mostly controlled now and with my current meds. The negative thoughts constantly linger in my mind. I also have health anxiety so every sensation I feel get attention from me. How ‘bout you what bothers you?
[/QUOTE
Have you tried mindfulness or meditation for the negative thoughts?

I

Inie

Yes I have and it does help clear my mind. Therapy can’t do l get too nervous talking to the therapist. The social anxiety has also progressed. I don’t like to be alone and I don’t like being around people. It’s like a double edged sword. How do you cope?