• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Phobia of wearing new clothes in public

G

Gbug

I’m currently in the second year of college and in my first year I was just so stressed out I couldn’t be bothered with getting ready and my first college experience plus a lot of other things caused me to have really terrible anxiety. This year I’m trying to care more about my own mental well being and of course looking good makes me feel good so I went on to Pinterest and found a whole lot of inspo and went to the mall and used all my savings to splurge on a whole lot of clothes that I absolutely loved. I was trying to totally reinvent my look and I was living it. That is until school started. I was just so scared to put on these clothes that I couldn’t. I tried wearing them once and I got ready and everything but as soon as I walked out of my dorm room I ran back inside and changed. Since then they’ve just been sitting in my closet and I really want to wear them. Does any one have any tips on how to overcome my phobia? Please help.

T

tracyyewdale

I’m currently in the second year of college and in my first year I was just so stressed out I couldn’t be bothered with getting ready and my first college experience plus a lot of other things caused me to have really terrible anxiety. This year I’m trying to care more about my own mental well being and of course looking good makes me feel good so I went on to Pinterest and found a whole lot of inspo and went to the mall and used all my savings to splurge on a whole lot of clothes that I absolutely loved. I was trying to totally reinvent my look and I was living it. That is until school started. I was just so scared to put on these clothes that I couldn’t. I tried wearing them once and I got ready and everything but as soon as I walked out of my dorm room I ran back inside and changed. Since then they’ve just been sitting in my closet and I really want to wear them. Does any one have any tips on how to overcome my phobia? Please help.
I wish you get over this one soon!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome
that would make life very difficult i imagine x have you thought about counselling of some kind to help with this
or maybe do you think it would help if someone close were with you when you first tried out the new clothes in public?
you are very welcome here ,love Lu x

toutatis

toutatis

Hi there Gbug.

It sounds like it could be related to worrying about what other people think in terms of the clothes you're wearing, so, maybe try to counter that worrying thought with something like, "Hey, this is what I feel comfortable wearing, this is me, and I couldn't care less what other people think because I look great and I feel comfortable. This is me. :)" Self affirmation. And just keep doing that until you feel comfortable on your own - which you will eventually.👍

mysteryloris

mysteryloris

I experience this same problem. I’m 30 years old and I am afraid to change my clothes or hair because I don’t want people to say anything about it. For me it feels more like a fear of being observed, like it feels humiliating to wear a new shirt and have people mention it?? Idk why. Good luck I have no advice but I’m with you.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

This is why we should all shave our heads and wear robes like we are sith lords. It's so annoying trying to match and keep up with the latest trends. The prices are also straight up ridiculous. $450 for a belt!!! Wtf

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Eh, that's sad. The reason is we use to judge others too much ( also thanks to social media and gossip portals). Don't think about others and be yourself.

Rex Smith

Rex Smith

If these new clothes you don't want to wear are an extreme look. I totally understand and you shouldn't feel bad. It's one thing wearing clothes when in public when your peers aren't around then when they are. Wearing those clothes would be like holding a flare and hitting the bull horn. It's going to draw a ton of attention.

Seriously don't beat yourself up for dressing according to where you're at. I have clothes for all different types of functions and activities. I'm not going to wear a suit if I'm going to a hockey game. I've got tons of suits, dress clothes, 20 something shoes, different handbags, several watches, and different types of vehicles.

It's best to be versatile.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Maybe if you just wore one new piece at a time you would get used to it gradually. It will not harm
you to do this. I would push past your fears and just do it. Once you have had a day with them on out and about amongst your classmates it’s possible your fears will be assuaged.

N

Nukelavee

Jess has good advice. Keep in mind, everybody buys new clothes for the school year, you won't stand out.

I tend towards a low key look, mostly blue and black -people don't notice when I switch things up unless I add a strong colour.

I bet you look sharp in the new wardrobe - rock those threads!

P

Purpleplum

Most people are worried about their own looks so don't think they're looking at you....they're thinking about themselves. Go out there with confidence not caring what anyone thinks. If you can do that, you could wear anything.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Sorry to hear you're not wearing your amazing new threads. I was wondering, when you left your dorm room wearing the new clothes how did the phobia present? For instance, was it like a fear of embarrassment (agoraphobia)?

Sarah902

Sarah902

I've had the same issue with clothes and hair. I would go gradually into it. Start with something not that noticable and go from there. I've noticed after you start wearing something it starts blending in with "your wardrobe" and people dont comment after that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seth Phobia Forum 6
T Phobia Forum 11
J Phobia Forum 6
S Phobia Forum 3
LORD BURT Phobia Forum 11