• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Phobia of smells?

S

strawberrywater

Is there a phobia of smells? Obviously no one likes unpleasant smells, but I'm borderline phobic of them.

When something smells bad around me, I have the irrational fear that it's getting into my clothing, hair, into my body, etc. and I feel sick over it. I get very angry too. Even if others tell me the smell is gone, I still smell it.

I don't even like the smell of food cooking - This is new. For years my neighbors cook with grease, onions, garlic, fish (all at once) and I've been told by people that I stink (and I'm a very clean person). The smell is so bad and gets into our apartment and makes everything smell horrible. Now it's to the point where I cannot cook because I hate the smell of food - even something plain like toast. It makes my stomach hurt.

Is there a phobia to smells? Anyone else have this?

S

StillDepressed

Osmophobia - It has a name so you can't be alone.

I'm oversensitive to certain smells including ones that are suppose to be good. Freshly smelled bread in the morning is so nauseating to me. But I wouldn't consider it a phobia, it must be horrible for you so I'm sorry.

S

strawberrywater

Osmophobia - It has a name so you can't be alone.

I'm oversensitive to certain smells including ones that are suppose to be good. Freshly smelled bread in the morning is so nauseating to me. But I wouldn't consider it a phobia, it must be horrible for you so I'm sorry.
Thank you for this, I'm glad it has a name. I think because the odors make me have a stomach ache, sometimes a headache, that's why I'm so fearful of them