• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Phobia of pigeons affecting my social life

Wishbone

Wishbone

For example:
Week one: pictures of pigeons plus ice cream for one whole week. No close encounters.
Week two: standing somewhere outside quite far away from pigeons while eating ice cream for one whole week.
Week three: Get a bit closer to the pigeons while eating ice cream for one whole week.
Week four: Closer again, still repeating the same things.

Eventually you can get close enough to feel at ease. Or you can add in pigeons moving or flying etc until you're sitting at the terrace with friends not worrying about pigeons because in your brain pigeons are associated with good things, not bad things!

Yes, it works. We do the same things training dogs and dogs can't understand things as well as we can. If they can do it, humans can do it, and we do...all the time. You can do it.

K

Keesha

But that is not good enough. I wont go to bars terracs before 21:00 is I am not 100%
Yes but you need to do this in stages. If you have an expectation of being 100% ok then you aren’t practicing patience. You aren’t going to instantly heal. You might go out onto the Patio with 10% fear or uncertainty but you persevere and by the end of the day, you’re 100% ok with it.
Some effort is usually required for healing. It doesn’t just happen on its own

K

Keesha

For example:
Week one: pictures of pigeons plus ice cream for one whole week. No close encounters.
Week two: standing somewhere outside quite far away from pigeons while eating ice cream for one whole week.
Week three: Get a bit closer to the pigeons while eating ice cream for one whole week.
Week four: Closer again, still repeating the same things.

Eventually you can get close enough to feel at ease. Or you can add in pigeons moving or flying etc until you're sitting at the terrace with friends not worrying about pigeons because in your brain pigeons are associated with good things, not bad things!

Yes, it works. We do the same things training dogs and dogs can't understand things as well as we can. If they can do it, humans can do it, and we do...all the time. You can do it.
Yes!
Do this in STAGES!
With a large dose of patience and determination.

Wishbone

Wishbone

In fact I'd start with still pictures of pigeons for a while, paired with ice cream, then watching videos of them, paired with ice cream...THEN venture outside and do the above as the movement of them will be important to overcome.

J

Jigglypuff Fan

Try to play Pokemon games from GBA only with a Pidgeotto.
Seriously though, you have to desensitize, there is no other way I know. Take baby steps, don't make yourself feel too bad, but just try to get used to the sight of them. They won't touch you, it is not their nature.
You can also play Pokémon Sword and Shield for the Switch as they have a Pokémon based on a pigeon called Pidove. It looks more like a typical pigeon than Pigeotto and its final evolution stage is based on a pheasant with the male having a masquerade mask on its face while the female doesn’t. Pidove looks like a cartoonish pigeon with some dove features and it might help lessen the anxiety with the actual bird as Pidove is only video game character and raising one might help you make a connection to it and want to keep it around.

K

Kayaker

You can also play Pokémon Sword and Shield for the Switch as they have a Pokémon based on a pigeon called Pidove. It looks more like a typical pigeon than Pigeotto and its final evolution stage is based on a pheasant with the male having a masquerade mask on its face while the female doesn’t. Pidove looks like a cartoonish pigeon with some dove features and it might help lessen the anxiety with the actual bird as Pidove is only video game character and raising one might help you make a connection to it and want to keep it around.
Interesting! I'm not too much of a pokemon fan and I don't quite enjoy the newer titles. I like the old school games because I love turn based rpgs.

J

Jigglypuff Fan

Pidove debuted in Pokémon Black and White for the DS so if you can find a copy of either at a good price, I suggest that you get them. The game is good and Pidove does all right in a play through.

K

Kayaker

Pidove debuted in Pokémon Black and White for the DS so if you can find a copy of either at a good price, I suggest that you get them. The game is good and Pidove does all right in a play through.
I'm with a lot of games in my list to play. But, I will certainly look into it. I used to want to play pokemon black / white for ds as a pre-teenager so now that you reminded me I will have to do it sooner or later xDd

J

Jigglypuff Fan

I'm with a lot of games in my list to play. But, I will certainly look into it. I used to want to play pokemon black / white for ds as a pre-teenager so now that you reminded me I will have to do it sooner or later xDd
If you do just remember that you can’t use online features anymore including the option to use Dream Link to use the Dream World as both features have been shut down and don’t expect to find older Pokémon until the post game. Pikachu can’t also be found at all in the games without transferring it.

Zero One

Zero One

@MMS97 I wouldn't want to be out there with them either. This past Tuesday they had this birthday thing going on at my work and they put candles on the cake. When they came in the room, someone gave somebody else a plate to use as a fan to put out the flames, but a team leader ignored it. The women blew out the candles, the first one didn't get them all out and the second one was trying to blow them out and they went out on the cake. I have schizoaffective disorder and voices and a long time ago they were telling me and showing me how they can cause unwanted saliva to come out of people's mouths. So that has always been there and I know they think I am bad somehow and I did not want to offend but this other guy left and I was so happy that I didn't go alone.

Now some other woman who likes to cook for everybody but she keeps bitching about things newer people are doing and she makes mistakes. But managed will call us over for a conversation . She was also really rude to my friend and calling me a name I don't like. And she was talking all day about the soup she is making in the slow cooker and she is going to bring it in tomorrow. She told me she is making it without pork so I can have some but I don't want anything from this bitch, especially soup being cooked for over 24Hours.

N

natalie

You wouldn't wish to know, at my buses area on my doorstep, this afternoon then. compimentary laughing. There were a good handful of pigeons, and i was fascinate,d in that, soon that they realise and eventually too, that there's a cafe deli in the vicinity, that's it, the pigeons all hover, to peck and or eat at the food thrown to them

The other day, the bus turned up, were pigeons quick to usher off, no, they were still even hovering, very close to the bus front!!!

i am always fascinated by pigeons, myself.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I'm ok with pigeons, but I'm scared of bees. I can offer no additional advice, but hopefully my silly story will help you to not feel quite so bad.

I wanted to sit outside by a river at a small cafe. There were many flowers. And many, MANY bees. I didn't quite realise just how many. Once the food came, I literally couldn't eat as I had to constantly try to cover my drink and protect my meal. Pretty soon I was sitting there like a maniac, flailing my arms around like a demented windmill to try and keep the bees away. I couldn't understand why no one else was bothered! I had to place my napkin over my drink so I couldn't drink it, and then in the end I got tired of not being able to eat my food (a sandwich) that I just kind of threw it at my face, hoping at least some of it would land in my mouth. None of it did. It landed on another person's shirt though. Oops.

While I was turning around to apologise to the poor man, I forgot to flail my windmill arms so the bees came back. Then my drink protection napkin blew away and landed near a dog, who ate it. Then a clump of bees landed on my (large) table and I couldn't take it anymore and ran away screaming.

Let's just say I never went back to that cafe again. lol

E

Ele123

Just pigeons or other birds too?