• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Philosophy...

V

Vanya

This is my treatment: philosophy. And sketching.

Frantz Fanon and Mao are my favorite to study these days. They are real you know, it's not abstract like Hegel or something.

Any other philosophers on this board? (I bet lots, though not all may call themselves like this.)

(I've taken anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety meds before, but at least for me, no, it closed my brain, everyday was like waiting for the bus, I'd rather feel 'off' now and then....)

(Oh, this would be another thread, but gardening also re. "recovery, resilience, self help, treatments, support and services". Living things are nice!)

(Oh, and travel, but I think that really causes a lot of stress, so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.)

A

Apotheosis

Hello Vanya & welcome to the forum :welcome:

Philosophy does interest me. I think about things a lot (too much probably).

This understanding generally would be from a 'layman's' perspective. I have not studied philosophy formally.

I used to post here a lot, I still post there occasionally -

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/

The site seems to be momentarily down, probably maintenance. It is on a slow server - but it's a good site. Do you go on any philosophy forums?

In a philosophical sense I am most interested in Metaphysics.

V

Vanya

I used to post here a lot, I still post there occasionally -

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/

The site seems to be momentarily down, probably maintenance. It is on a slow server - but it's a good site. Do you go on any philosophy forums?
Do I go on any philsophy forums?

Oh, let me tell you!

Here is a page I made which is a collection of all the English language phil. (only) sites I know (there are many more, but these are dedicated to just....), "The community of ephilosophers":

http://dissidentphilosophy.lifedisc...-of-ephilosophers-philosophy-bbs-sites-t9.htm

I've been on all of them at one time or another, some to the tune of several thousand posts. PFs, philosophyforums, was the first phil.board I got into, after that ilovephilosophy, then I made my own phil.site, it did well, but became a little too "competative" let's say, I want a more friendly and co-operative environment, not one where every poster is trying to out-smart the others; so I started fresh just a few days ago, (that's the site "Dissident Philosophy Forum" linked just above, or "the new DPF" as I'm calling it just now, the grand opening party is not 'til tomorrow however, as you see it's still looking sparse, I think it will take about three months before it looks like a proper phil-site. If you want a little sample of my writing, you can see here.

PFs is really solid, lots of really sharp thinkers and lots of newbs too; my only complaint about Paul's site is that it is too active. Sometimes you make a post, and an hour later there's three pages of discussion after it. I like more cozy boards, my favorite (after the new DPF of course) is PN, philosophynow, it's got a community feel about it, you can see the url to PN on the page I link to above "The community of ephilosophers".

I could go on for about fifty-thousand words... this is after breathing the thing that interests me the most. So, I'll zip it for a moment...

In a philosophical sense I am most interested in Metaphysics.
This was my first love too. It's pure. But I've moved more towards "radical" political thinkers, especially Fanon, also I'm a litle curious about Pol Pot to tell you the truth (I lived in Cambo five years -- so, lol, yeah, I'm a little "crazy", five years there will do a 'mind opening' on any foreigner!). Also I'm these days intersted in Qutb, founder of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Like I say, this to me is the most interesting thing after breathing, so I'll spare you my other thoughts on philosophy and philosophy boards -- for now.

A

Apotheosis

Do I go on any philsophy forums?

Oh, let me tell you!
I will check out the links & your writing.

PFs is really solid, lots of really sharp thinkers and lots of newbs too; my only complaint about Paul's site is that it is too active. Sometimes you make a post, and an hour later there's three pages of discussion after it. I like more cozy boards
I found that too, something I found as well is that there are no conclusions, just more questions. Which could be considered a good thing as well. But it is nice to reach some conclusions; to have some kind of framework; which we think is most likely. I got bored of the endless debating. I have become far more interested in MH forums.

It sounds like you have had a very interesting life & that you have many interests. Meditation is of a lot of interest to me too. I do like Buddhism; but I have become less & less interested in all religion - whatever it may be. Very simple meditation I prefer - I have been practising a form of Raja yoga most recently. But practising routinely I find difficult.

Politics is something else I have very little interest in.

I'll look forward to hearing more of your thought's on things.

V

Vanya

Meditation is of a lot of interest to me too. I do like Buddhism; but I have become less & less interested in all religion - whatever it may be. Very simple meditation I prefer - I have been practising a form of Raja yoga most recently. But practising routinely I find difficult.
Difficult?

I sometimes draw in the evenings, this seems to me a lot like meditation. I notice I sometimes start to rock like the Jews at the Wailing Wall. I don't think this is a misuse of the term 'meditate'.

A

Apotheosis

Difficult?

I sometimes draw in the evenings, this seems to me a lot like meditation. I notice I sometimes start to rock like the Jews at the Wailing Wall. I don't think this is a misuse of the term 'meditate'.
Nor do I, in many ways life can be a meditation - What I mean by difficult is setting into my routine formal meditation. I practise slow diaphragmatic breathing almost the entire day. I have practised it so much that it is natural for me now. I also practise simple mindfulness techniques a lot during the day too - alert awareness & self observation - similar to eckhart tolle's techniques.

But I do get a lot from more formal mediation practise. I also 'send' healing using a 'Reiki' type practice - which is also meditative.

What kind of images do you produce? I used to draw & paint a lot. I started with highly detailed & fine images - then went very much into abstraction & multi media. Finally getting into digital media. Painting had become very much a way of expressing the suffering I went through; & it is still very much associated, for me with 'negativity'. Although those associations are changing.

Are you familiar with Richard dad? A very interesting story I have been looking into recently.

V

Vanya

Nor do I, in many ways life can be a meditation - What I mean by difficult is setting into my routine formal meditation. I practise slow diaphragmatic breathing almost the entire day. I have practised it so much that it is natural for me now. I also practise simple mindfulness techniques a lot during the day too - alert awareness & self observation - similar to eckhart tolle's techniques.
Paying attention to breathing, to start, has some effect; I can't put my finger on what exactly, but it is something quite different from the ordinary...

But I do get a lot from more formal mediation practice. I also 'send' healing using a 'Reiki' type practice - which is also meditative.
I'll look into some of these. There is a suspiciousness about Buddhism, philosophy, meditation, these sorts of things; partly this is fair; it takes a time to understand the vocabulary. It helps me a lot when I read, say Buddhism, to assume it is right and makes sense, and then try to understand what thoughts I need to fill in to get there.

What kind of images do you produce? I used to draw & paint a lot. I started with highly detailed & fine images - then went very much into abstraction & multi media. Finally getting into digital media. Painting had become very much a way of expressing the suffering I went through; & it is still very much associated, for me with 'negativity'. Although those associations are changing.
I'll put a link to some of my drawings here when I get over being shy, or post a few here if I see a right index. The style? Almost Egyptian or Disney. I understand what you mean about the painting and the memory, for me, it is weak coffee, that especially reminds me of hard times. Painting is different from pencil, to me painting is just totally open and new as I just play at it from time to time, not like drawing which can be a little frustrating sometimes.

Are you familiar with Richard dad? A very interesting story I have been looking into recently.
No. I'm just reading this now.... This looks interesting; an "outsider-artist" I'm fond of is Henry Darger, there's a wiki article here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Darger , but look at Google Images, the wiki article misses the whole point: His Art!

A

Apotheosis

Paying attention to breathing, to start, has some effect; I can't put my finger on what exactly, but it is something quite different from the ordinary...
Yes, definitely.

I'll put a link to some of my drawings here when I get over being shy, or post a few here if I see a right index.
I'll look forward to seeing them.

This looks interesting; an "outsider-artist" I'm fond of is Henry Darger,
I like 'outsider art' - I'm familiar with Henry Darger; an interesting personal story too.