• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Phasing out of Income Support!

S

snakeplissken

With the phasing out of Income Support I have sent a question to my MP, basically the law goes in Scotland that to receive free Legal advice and assistance as is required you have to be in receipt of Income Support.
Does anyone know if the replacement benefits permit a contingency for access to Legal Aid?
If a person facing section or aggressive therapy such as ECT the provision for legal assistance is of paramount importance.
Does anyone have experience of seeking legal aid on these replacement benefits?

C

Charlie123

Hey

I havent a clue what the situation is re legal aid on this issue. I am sure a solicitor will be able to tell you. My old solicitor left his old practice and I believe he is starting a new firm re mental health. The others I have seen, and i have seen many, dont spend as much time as him. Good lawyer. Dont know where he went though!

Last edited by a moderator:
dib4uk

dib4uk

Dont panic!!! the replacement for income support for people who cant work who are disabled is called ESA. Both Income support and Invalididy benefit are being phased out for new claimants and sooner than later for older ones too and its being replaced by one central income replacement ESA.

You should be able to recieve legal aid on this as its a state benefit.

Hope that helps.

C

Charlie123

You have got to be correct. But legal aid is different from england to scotland isnt it? Probably just the same though!

C

Charlie123

Having the read the first post again, i am sure mental health appeals or mental health trubunal representation is not means tested anyway!

M

maudikie

I think you are probably ntitled to legal aid. Have you got an advocate who could go with you for support? Or a relative of course.
I think the government will probably make their first aim to get the young people to work and off Benefits.If you go to a solicitor have all your questions, and any paperwork with you as he/she will probably want to see it and medical certificates or ldoctors letters will help.:)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I $200.00 Rent Increase! Low Fixed Income! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Mayflower7 ESA Income based Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
J Do people on income based ESA get reassessments? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
F Moving to a universal credit area ,drop in income Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
I Emergency housing without an income Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A Letter From DWP Asking to review my Existing Income Support and SDA for ESA-Why Is This? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
K Aish- Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
bulbie Income Support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz I've been awarded income related ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
mrlaurel Esa - contribution to income based. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
G ESA Support group (income-based) and University? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Wiseowl Warning Higher Education and ESA Income Related!!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
I £1.28 Per Month Increase In My Income Support... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
DizzyPrincess Statutory sick pay and income support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
K income support review A2 form Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
N Upset At Letter From Income Support Claim Review Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
L Income support to esa Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
MichaelAlone Income Support/ESA question Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
S Income support review while waiting for esa? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S No family support, no one wants to see me do well in life Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
S Care and support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
L ESA Support group - no assessment - stunned! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Tawny ESA support group and wrag group info Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
D ESA Support Group! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N Non state financial support for mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
R Can I go to college whilst in the ESA support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
J Mandatory ReConsideration for WRAG to Support Group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
P HELP!! dont know if im in WRAG or support group. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A ESA Support Group - any interviews necessary Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
I Wrag to support group ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz PIP and ESA support group enquiry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz Worried about letter from support worker for PIP tribunal Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
Kerome Various support funds Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
J ESA Mortgage Interest Support Ending in April for All Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
F ESA support group to Universal credit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
K Support group and volunteering Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
M Will I get support with housing. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Heart_moon Receiving E.S.A. support group Benefits - but not unwell enough to get P.I.P. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
D Placed in ESA Support Group WITHOUT assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
ScaredCat Volunteering can be bad for mental health without the right welfare support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Tabitha Moving voluntarily from ESA support group to work-related activity group before April? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
mischief Help & Support with PIP Claims (Video No 1) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Nikita Petition started against the proposals to send support group disabled to work please sign and get everyone you know to sign it. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
cpuusage Ministers set to force work-related activity on everyone in ESA support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 49
LORD BURT Employment and Support Allowance: Re-tests axed for chronically ill claimants Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 23
N Are people without any social support less likely to get benefits? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
S ESA Support Group and Need Advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Artmuzz ESA support group worry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
U esa support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
A Just Heard From DWP-Have Got My ESA and It's The Support Group. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2