• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Phasing out of Income Support!

S

snakeplissken

With the phasing out of Income Support I have sent a question to my MP, basically the law goes in Scotland that to receive free Legal advice and assistance as is required you have to be in receipt of Income Support.
Does anyone know if the replacement benefits permit a contingency for access to Legal Aid?
If a person facing section or aggressive therapy such as ECT the provision for legal assistance is of paramount importance.
Does anyone have experience of seeking legal aid on these replacement benefits?

C

Charlie123

Hey

I havent a clue what the situation is re legal aid on this issue. I am sure a solicitor will be able to tell you. My old solicitor left his old practice and I believe he is starting a new firm re mental health. The others I have seen, and i have seen many, dont spend as much time as him. Good lawyer. Dont know where he went though!

Last edited by a moderator:
dib4uk

dib4uk

Dont panic!!! the replacement for income support for people who cant work who are disabled is called ESA. Both Income support and Invalididy benefit are being phased out for new claimants and sooner than later for older ones too and its being replaced by one central income replacement ESA.

You should be able to recieve legal aid on this as its a state benefit.

Hope that helps.

C

Charlie123

You have got to be correct. But legal aid is different from england to scotland isnt it? Probably just the same though!

C

Charlie123

Having the read the first post again, i am sure mental health appeals or mental health trubunal representation is not means tested anyway!

M

maudikie

I think you are probably ntitled to legal aid. Have you got an advocate who could go with you for support? Or a relative of course.
I think the government will probably make their first aim to get the young people to work and off Benefits.If you go to a solicitor have all your questions, and any paperwork with you as he/she will probably want to see it and medical certificates or ldoctors letters will help.:)