Pets

F

Funnyday

Those of you with pets. What do you do with them when you are sectioned? I would like a pet. However, the thought of losing the pet if sectioned is putting me off.

Does anyone help with temporary accomodation for them when you are in Hospital. Or is it a case of the rspca takes them in and they end up with someone else full time?

I so want a pet but the fear of going back into hospital and my losing them is putting me off of getting any.

R

reese34

are you able a pet sitter to pop around? or a good neighbour or friend or family member.? other than that I don't know? maybe MH hospital could allow something small? that wouldn't be too messy? I don't know.
or have home help come in or something? or ask them how you could go about things?

F

Funnyday

I don't have any relatives that could take a pet in for me. I think I'll speak to my cpn about it and see what he says.

R

reese34

hope it goes well for you? let us know what he or she says? what pet would you like? shame people cant do a pet share, look after someone pet, when they on holiday, or look after it for a day ect. If I lived close by, id look after your pet for you if you wanted.

F

Funnyday

I would really like a dog but can't be dealing with picking up its poo. So maybe a cat. I'm not sure. I really like birds too. So maybe a bird of some sort.

R

reese34

what kind of bird would you like?
how about feed the wild life? only have to feed it, wouldn't have to worry to leave it? feed the birds outside?
get bird feeder, bird table? Its not the same!

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I was advised to wait until I'm completely stable before getting a pet because you have to be a good pet parent. Now I am well and I don't go into hospitals anymore. I have two dogs.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I keep parrots and wouldn't advise having one unless you can give it lots of attention and I mean lots!. They are also expensive to feed as they need lots of fruit and other fresh foods every day. Generally they are not easy to keep and are very expensive and difficult to treat if they get ill.It is also difficult to find someone who knows anything about parrots to look after them when you are in hospital.

C

calamityjen

Just thought I'd mention there is a charity called the Cinnamon Trust that provides fostering for pets - I think it might be just dogs, maybe cats as well, and I don't know how long for. I met someone once who was a volunteer there; she said they often foster/'visit at home' dogs for elderly people when they go into hospital.