Pets Help People Manage The Pain Of Serious Mental Illness

S

spiritfriend

Yes, it's true. When I feel really sad, I hold my cat close to me. My mom also decided that getting a dog would be a good choice for me. He's a lot of work to take care of since he's a puppy but he makes me happy. And I have two mice that I often chat with. They're all there for me. It's wonderful.

Also those therapy dogs are good for soldiers dealing with PTSD.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

Something horrible happened to my lil sister about 3 years ago that led her to need anti-depressants and even on the cusp of a nervous breakdown.

After her two best mates told her that getting dogs helped them massively after marriage breakdowns she decided to get a pup 13 months ago.

She's not been seriously depressed since and hasn't needed anti-depressants for a year.

As she works and mum and dad are retired she drops the dog at mum's before work and picks him back up after work.

I go back to mum's on sunday afternoon till Monday night each week.

I cannot overestimate how much I look forward and am helped by being with this dog even if it is for just one day a week.

And he's the best alarm clock I've ever known.

I have clozaril induced grogginess in the morning but this pup keeps jumping on my bed licking me on the nose, mouth and ears till I get up.

Honestly he just doesn't let up.

Maybe its coz i'm his 2nd fave person!!!! :)

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think it's cool that we have something in common. I'm so glad we're not arguing anymore.
i find it very easy at times to debate & argue with people, especially over the internet, but am improving with Not doing so as much.

i am trying to be more accepting & less argumentative with people.

i live alone but spend a lot of time looking after my mum through a long term illness, we got 2 chiwawas some years ago as therapy dogs who i spend a lot of time with & who have been very loving. We always used to have cats, 5 main ones who all lived to very old age. Also had a pet rat at one stage, fish, terrapins, rabbits, & hamsters.

T

Twokiwisandabanana

My dog lies on my I fart he sniffs it,
AND HE STILL LOVES ME AFTERWARDS:eek: Magic

S

spiritfriend

i find it very easy at times to debate & argue with people, especially over the internet, but am improving with Not doing so as much.

i am trying to be more accepting & less argumentative with people.

i live alone but spend a lot of time looking after my mum through a long term illness, we got 2 chiwawas some years ago as therapy dogs who i spend a lot of time with & who have been very loving. We always used to have cats, 5 main ones who all lived to very old age. Also had a pet rat at one stage, fish, terrapins, rabbits, & hamsters.
Just be yourself. We'll all accept you just the way you are. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's doing well.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I'm thinking of getting a dog. A small dog 'coz I've only got a small house and small garden and I live in the city. I'd like my dog to take me for walks to keep me healthy and cuddle me when no-one else will but I'm not sure if I'm just being completely selfish. I know how to care for a dog -it's just when you live with two other adults - your choices are restricted. I just wish I could live alone - me and my dog :(

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm thinking of getting a dog. A small dog 'coz I've only got a small house and small garden and I live in the city. I'd like my dog to take me for walks to keep me healthy and cuddle me when no-one else will but I'm not sure if I'm just being completely selfish. I know how to care for a dog -it's just when you live with two other adults - your choices are restricted. I just wish I could live alone - me and my dog :(
Long haired chiwawas are amazing. Very cute & loving & easy to look after.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

Long haired chiwawas are amazing. Very cute & loving & easy to look after.
Boxers are my favourite.

When I'm at the stage where i'm able to live in my own flat i'd like to get a couple of brother puppy boxers.

I'll call them Moxy and Scampi.

Chopsy

Chopsy

Boxers are my favourite.

When I'm at the stage where i'm able to live in my own flat i'd like to get a couple of brother puppy boxers.

I'll call them Moxy and Scampi.
We nearly had a pet 'boxer' dog once, when i was a child :D

My dad's brother had some Boxer puppies he wanted to find homes for, but my mum wasn't keen :whistle:

Later we did get our first family pet dog, a sheltie, and we called her 'Honey'

Also, my daughter-in-laws family pet dog was a Boxer too, unfortunately she passed away about a year ago now. They now have a white Westie.

My son & his wife have a tiny sable coloured short haired Chihuahua, called Danger :loveshower:

And they recently bought a pet rabbit for Danger to have a 'playmate' & some 'animal' company :)

Chopsy

Chopsy

I was in sole charge of looking after the ferrets tonight, as my daughter decided to spend time with her younger cousin for the night.

i played the game 'Catch the Ball' with our 2 young male ferrets, they seemed thrilled at this new type of interaction & showed off their 'great ferret skill powers' by catching the ball with all sorts of impressive body movements & positions.

Also our Dalmation dog was being weird tonight, he suddenly took on the mannerisms & behaviour of our old deceased sheepdog, who passed away in 2011. That sheepdog was my closest 'soul-mate'.

..... must be 'something in the air tonight' :loveshower: :hug5: .......:thx: