• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Peter Breggin M.D and others like him

C

Clint 23

so I watched and read stuff by Peter Breggin M.D and how psychiatric medications are dangerous. I'm only speaking from my point of view and what i went through cause everyones story is different. way back when psychiatric medications were first coming out a lot of people were thrown into hospitals and drugged. The conditions in these hospitals were horrible you had over population, under staffed, low resources, so often times people were drugged and then forgotten about. that is one extreme then their is the other hand where doctors like Peter Breggin and others who claim that even the bad diagnoses like schizophrenia are caused by the social fabric of ones life breaking down that all they need is a loving family and friends to get back on the right path. Growing up i had a loving family, i had friends who cared, i had a really good support system but this didn't stop me from breaking down and soon being diagnosed with schizophrenia. my parents loved me, my friends loved me, but that didn't stop the voices and the feelings from me turning on them. If it wasn't for my doctor and Pdoc and yes medication i would be dead. My dad and mom isn't to blame or my friends or me its a illness that effects people despite all these things. A cold virus doesn't go away just because your loved and nor do you get it cause your not loved. FOR ME it was both that helped m, it was my Pdoc and my doctor working together with meds that helped me. jumping from one extreme to another isn't going to help anyone both sides have to work together to help. this is just my point of veiw and my story and everyones help is different i know that meds were the best route for me maybe not for some others but everyones story is different.

F

flatz

Nikita said:
Everyone is different.Mental illness isn't caught from a virus so isn't the same,you don't get it anyway whether you are loved or not.My illness happened cos of neglect and abuse from my family as a child as well as 34 years abuse as an adult and other complicated reasons.I don't know if you were loved and got it anyway what that means but definitely in my life growing up poor and suffering parental and sibling violence and abuse caused me to become mentally ill.Struggling to look after myself alone when ill and not having enough money for food and transport all led to environmental stress and worry and anxiety.Everyone's story is different and it isn't physical the cause of mental illness like doctors and scientists claim it is!
What are you diagnosed with and do you agree with it? The OP is specifcally talking about Schizophrenia.

C

Clint 23

i know mental illness isn't caught by a virus lol wasn't my point but everyone is different so the treatments are all different to say one shoe fits all is bogus. I'm sorry that happen to you Nikita i can't imagine.

BillFish

BillFish

i know mental illness isn't caught by a virus lol wasn't my point but everyone is different so the treatments are all different to say one shoe fits all is bogus. I'm sorry that happen to you Nikita i can't imagine.
My father was a successful officer in the army, but I have only just had an admission from him @ the age of 70 that he suffered from severe bouts of depression all his life, I suspect my illness may be just a slightly different expression of that inherited gene.:p

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There is a place for biomedicine (pharmacology/psychiatry) in the treatment of mental health.

There is also a place for more in depth psychological, social & spiritual approaches to peoples care & healing, approaches which some people are very much helped by.

i don't see the need for either/or?

i think there needs to be a far more integral, comprehensive, person centred approach to mental health in general.

i don't quite understanding people arguing against more comprehensive & humane approaches to mental health care?

T

thrill

Nikita said:
I have psychotic episodes and i agree with my diagnosis and I have been very ill and I know the way I was bullied at school and uni and emotionally,verbally and physically abused at home caused it.
can I ask what your diagnosis is?