• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pet therapy

S

swan

I'm desperate for a pet but I can't have one as I live in a council flat with my boyfriend's family so there already significant personal space issues...I'd grown up with dogs and the closest animal to me (my sister's dog) died recently, so I'm really longing for some kind of animal contact at the moment!

I was wondering if anyone has a pet (especially a dog) and if they find the relationship between them and the pet helps them to cope with MH issues? Or perhaps it would be a bad idea if you already feel like you can't look after yourself well enough to look after another being?

Any opinions welcome,
Swan

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Swan

I find my pets very therapeutic and lived in a cramped council flat that did not allow me to have one.

I got a small hamster which wasn't as interactive as a dog or cat but really helped.

It might be an idea for you to offer your services to a local rescue centre or cattery/kennels. There you might be able to offer cats and dogs that are away from home or don't have a home some real comfort and support and longed for human interaction, which might help you and them considerably as well as the organisation taking care of them.

thing fish

thing fish

hell yes it helped..
i was much better off when i had my dog. i split from my wife about 1.5 years ago and she kept him and i miss him every day. not a day goes by that i don't think about him.
he was my best friend.

S

swan

It might be an idea for you to offer your services to a local rescue centre or cattery/kennels. There you might be able to offer cats and dogs that are away from home or don't have a home some real comfort and support and longed for human interaction, which might help you and them considerably as well as the organisation taking care of them.
Thanks, this is a really good idea, especially seeing as I'm going to be losing my job in december so I'll have lots of time to spare. I'm going to do some research!

Q

quality factor

Hi I had a Jack Russell who died in March aged 15 yrs. He helped me through a great deal with his loyalty and companionship. The only time I had a problem was when I spent five months in hospital on two occaisions, but I managed with help from my family.
There was such a void in my life when I was without Scamp, that two months later my mum bought me Harri a Border Terrier for my birthday.
He is now 8 months old and certainly keeps me on my toes.He is hard work at times but has so much unconditional love to give. If I have a bad day then he's there to help me through.

QF.

ghost

ghost

I'm desperate for a pet but I can't have one as I live in a council flat with my boyfriend's family so there already significant personal space issues...I'd grown up with dogs and the closest animal to me (my sister's dog) died recently, so I'm really longing for some kind of animal contact at the moment!

I was wondering if anyone has a pet (especially a dog) and if they find the relationship between them and the pet helps them to cope with MH issues? Or perhaps it would be a bad idea if you already feel like you can't look after yourself well enough to look after another being?

Any opinions welcome,
Swan
I've got two pet rats. People call them "little dogs" apparently because of their ability to bond. I got them to help with MH, basically I reasoned that with two lives to look after I would have to at least keep myself alive to do so!

I know some people can be a bit "ewww" about rats but pet ratties are totally different from horrible vermin rats, they're pretty clean and very loving and sweet. They honestly make me so happy when they go scamperng across my bed and then dive into my hoodie and scuffle about inside my sleeve!!!

You'd need to read up a bit about how to look after them, you need to spend lots of time getting to know them and letting them play out of their cage but it's so worth it when they go from being really scared to running onto your hand looking for treats and cuddles!

S

swan

Yeah my aunty used to have rats but her dogs ate them! They were lovely. I remember going to vauxhall city farm once and peering over into the stable where the ferrets lived and they kept running up this plank to try and get closer to me to say hello, that was so cute i just wanted to reach over and take them home.

ghost

ghost

ps. ghost: lenore is awesome!
LOL I KNOW!!

Ferrets are fun but be prepared to spend a LOT of time with them and get bitten a lot! Like, a LOT! You also need quite a lot of space for them to run around. My ex has some. Ferret bites hurt

S

SmileyGirl

I have two dogs and they are my closest friends when I am feeling crap. The only thing I feel bad about is them getting out less when I get agrophobic, but when I feel even one minute of bravery I get my coat on and get out with them. Luckily I live by miles and miles of downs, and I can run and scream if I need to and noone hears me!
I'd be very lonely if I didn't have pets.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I have had quite a few pets in my time. At the moment I have a terrapin which I have had since I was 13. He is great.

However my border collie is the best pet i could wish for. She is absolutely adoreable and although terribly hard work at times she is the best distraction from my thoughts. I could bare to be without her. She has kept me on a number of occasions from doing anything to hurt myself - Although I may not appreciate it entirely at the moment I know one day I wont be able to thank her enough.

Pets certianly are amazing thearpy.

R

Respecting myself

I love animals and would dearly love a house rabbit - my place is too small at the moment - I'm hoping if my finances improve that I can move somewhere bigger and have a rabbit (or maybe 2 to keep each other company while I'm at work).

Rats seem a great pet - but it's the tail that grosses me out (plus an ex had one and it chewed my coat collar - I think it did it on purpose too!)

K

Kate31

definitely!!

My jack rusell dawson is a life-saver - he comforts me when i'm low and walking him every day gets my endorphins going.
He's like my baby as i can't have kids due to anorexia so he's the next best thing! helps with loneliness too as he is with me all day wheb my husband's at work.

C

Clementina

I know my pet cat, helps me deal with mental health issus.

Maybe, they would let you have another animal in the house, or maybe outside.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murasakibee Other 23
midnightphoenix Other 10