• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pet Anxiety

MoonChild84

MoonChild84

I know I've spoken about this on the forum before, but I wondered if anyone feels the same as me on this. I suffer from anxiety surrounding the wellbeing of my pets, and sometimes I get completely overwhelmed by the responsibility of their care. Often I can't think more than a day ahead into the future without becoming incredibly anxious.

Sometimes, very rarely, I wish I didn't have them as the worry it causes me is often too much. It has become particularly acute recently as we have just homed a rescue puppy who is 5 months old so obviously this has been quite stressful.

I have made a decision now that I will not have any other pets after these ones have passed away, so these will be the last that I keep in my lifetime. Has anyone else made this decision? I don't know if this is the right decision, or if perhaps I will change my mind in time. On the whole, my pets really help my mental health, and I hope that when my puppy is older and a little more settled that he will help with it too. But I know that I can't do this again, as the stress and anxiety are proving too much.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

i worry about my pets all the time :hug:

i seriously thought myself about not adopting again for a while after Ebony cat died too early :cry: but survivor Tigger really did not cope on her own so i started looking for a friend and came across Willow in a rescue, she'd been there for ages cause she's territorial dominant and really does not like kids :hug:

MoonChild84

MoonChild84

I'm so sorry to hear about Ebony, but it's wonderful that you found a place for Willow in your heart and home!

I just find it incredibly difficult to adapt when a new pet comes into the home. I feel guilty for my other pets, and worry about all of them and if they are happy or not. I go a little bit over the top with trying to make sure they are all happy, sometimes to the detriment of my own health!

However I know that when all settles down again I will probably feel a lot differently.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I'm so sorry to hear about Ebony, but it's wonderful that you found a place for Willow in your heart and home!

I just find it incredibly difficult to adapt when a new pet comes into the home. I feel guilty for my other pets, and worry about all of them and if they are happy or not. I go a little bit over the top with trying to make sure they are all happy, sometimes to the detriment of my own health!

However I know that when all settles down again I will probably feel a lot differently.
maybe a adult dog would be better for your stress levels for future? :hug:

B

bpd2020

When I had pets I had extreme anxiety. Each time I went out I worried they would be ill when I was out or I would come home to find they had died. Every time they did not seem themselves I was so anxious and phoned up the vet right away. I do not have any animals now and I no longer have anxiety. I can understand how you feel.

MoonChild84

MoonChild84

When I had pets I had extreme anxiety. Each time I went out I worried they would be ill when I was out or I would come home to find they had died. Every time they did not seem themselves I was so anxious and phoned up the vet right away. I do not have any animals now and I no longer have anxiety. I can understand how you feel.
Thank you so much for relating to this and sharing your experience. I do think that once I no longer have my pets (which will break my heart) I won't get any more. It is too stressful to worry about them so much! It is mainly the overwhelming feeling I get most mornings which is the hardest.

I am so glad you no longer have anxiety xx

I

indigo6

I worried about my late cat increasingly more as he got older. The last few years of his life I would periodically wonder when he would pass and try to imagine life without him. His passing is something I havent got used to, even now.
A lady told me she believes we all have a cut off with how much loss we can endure with our close companion animals. I think I have reached mine, sounds like you have too.
Love is the most wonderful thing though theres a time to retire from the high level of it you obviously give to your animals. Its natural, to stop your heart from hurting.
And yes its a sad twist that though we give them such good lives end up unable to do it anymore and we will miss out badly.
There are other ways to be around animals like a friends/families as you visit, or pet sitting, dog walking, even a walk where you come across horses and cows etc.
Try to think that its likely you will have many years of love and happiness with your new canine. Give him all you got. Treasure it and resolve to worry when theres a time to worry.

MoonChild84

MoonChild84

I worried about my late cat increasingly more as he got older. The last few years of his life I would periodically wonder when he would pass and try to imagine life without him. His passing is something I havent got used to, even now.
A lady told me she believes we all have a cut off with how much loss we can endure with our close companion animals. I think I have reached mine, sounds like you have too.
Love is the most wonderful thing though theres a time to retire from the high level of it you obviously give to your animals. Its natural, to stop your heart from hurting.
And yes its a sad twist that though we give them such good lives end up unable to do it anymore and we will miss out badly.
There are other ways to be around animals like a friends/families as you visit, or pet sitting, dog walking, even a walk where you come across horses and cows etc.
Try to think that its likely you will have many years of love and happiness with your new canine. Give him all you got. Treasure it and resolve to worry when theres a time to worry.
Thank you for such a lovely reply. You’re right, it gets to a point where your heart can take no more. I’ve got lots of years left hopefully with my new companion and I’m going to make the most out of it. I’ll give him everything he needs and more! It will be the last time I put my heart through it, and it will be worth it in the end. I will read this response a few times as its really resonated with me. Thank you again x

I

indigo6

Thank you and its good to know you have a very lucky puppy.
Cherish, adore and ruin him.

🕊🤗

L

Laudanum

I can relate to that. I did find one of my cats dead in the road in a hit and run in 2013. It just made me more determined to protect the other three (all were born in my garden from the neighbour's pregnant cat).

I stress over their wellbeing, but they provide so much pleasure and company.

B

bpd2020

I can relate to that. I did find one of my cats dead in the road in a hit and run in 2013. It just made me more determined to protect the other three (all were born in my garden from the neighbour's pregnant cat).

I stress over their wellbeing, but they provide so much pleasure and company.
I am so sorry you found your cat like that. That must have been truly awful. It is lovely your cats bring you pleasure. I love cats.

I

indigo6

😢 Bpd.....:hug:

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I know I've spoken about this on the forum before, but I wondered if anyone feels the same as me on this. I suffer from anxiety surrounding the wellbeing of my pets, and sometimes I get completely overwhelmed by the responsibility of their care. Often I can't think more than a day ahead into the future without becoming incredibly anxious.

Sometimes, very rarely, I wish I didn't have them as the worry it causes me is often too much. It has become particularly acute recently as we have just homed a rescue puppy who is 5 months old so obviously this has been quite stressful.

I have made a decision now that I will not have any other pets after these ones have passed away, so these will be the last that I keep in my lifetime. Has anyone else made this decision? I don't know if this is the right decision, or if perhaps I will change my mind in time. On the whole, my pets really help my mental health, and I hope that when my puppy is older and a little more settled that he will help with it too. But I know that I can't do this again, as the stress and anxiety are proving too much.
I have 4 ferrets. They make me be responsible at
Least for them and they give me love and company so i embrace them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Anxiety Forum 3
D Anxiety Forum 10
F Anxiety Forum 1
C Anxiety Forum 17
S Anxiety Forum 5