• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pet Anxieties

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I know some of us on here get very worried about our pets. I thought it would be good to help each other out.

I have a naughty new kitten and a big cat who is so gentle. New kitten is a minx. She is still submissive, but getting more confident. I worry about big cat (every minute of every day) you know how it is!

Bod

Bod

What a great idea Tawny I have noticed that quite a few of us here have pets, we used to have seven cats at one time when we were in Australia and most of them slept on my bed with me and I totally loved that as they would pur away all night while we cuddled up.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

this is a good idea
i worry so so much about my baby xshe is a beagle
im so scared one day i will not have hermit and will have to give her up
i don't have a car so couldn't get her to a vets
i can't take her in a taxi as she is severely travel sick

what worries you about you big cat the most?
my baby has just come through the bedroom door-so snack time! x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Fairy Lucretia Baby Lucretia is in charge then! :)

@SoftRain Old cats do start to slow down but mine never were very ill until their last couple of months, and then last few days. How old is your cat? Is she ill?

Big cat, i worry she will be scared when eating (she looks around her regularly), lose her prime sleeping spot (i had to remove kitten today so big cat could get back up there - first time she has been cheeky and gone up there, big cat wouldn't fight her for it but sleep on a tiny spot below).

I don't want cocky kitten ruling the roost. Kitten adores cat, wants to be with her all of the time, and they do get on, but kitten is getting rougher in play now.

Kitten woke up just now and i played with her so cat was relaxing and watching. I moved the stick over to cat and she played which was wonderful to see. Kitten now has gone off somewhere and cat is still with me so she hasn't gone near cat yet. Good.

Double the work isn't it.

@Bod 7 cats would be a dream although two are enough work and expense!

Bod

Bod

It was when we were in Australia, as we had quite a few pets then.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Tawny Tiarra is 11 she seems healthy and still will play. So I think I just worry for nothing.
She is pretty. You are a worrier like me. 11 years, you are ok for a while yet. My longest living was 17 and she was happy right up until the last few months when she looked thinner and was a bit smelly. I didn't realise that meant she needed the vet, i just brushed it off as old age and a natural progression.

What makes me sad is that i have learnt so much about sick cats and old cats now, so i look back and see that i let my past cats down badly. People say i didn't know at the time, but i should have known.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Fairy Lucretia My vet practice moved to the main town and i was very upset with them as i cannot get there without an expensive taxi. They gave me a phone number of a group of people who volunteer and help people get their pets to the vet for them.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

What makes me sad is that i have learnt so much about sick cats and old cats now, so i look back and see that i let my past cats down badly. People say i didn't know at the time, but i should have known.
No, no, no! Please don't ever think this way! You did not let any of your beloved cats down. You loved them and they had good, long lives. Cats are wise. They understand and they know more than we do. They are 100% love.

Guilt is such a damaging emotion when combined with loss. Believe me, I know.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I've always had cats. When I was born, my parents already had a cat called Tum Tum. He was a black and white long haired cat who ignored me for the first week but then loved me and I'd carry him around over my shoulder when I was 2-3 years old. He was almost as big as me. He was sadly hit by a car when he was 12 and I was 3. He was ok but broke his hip and had to be put to sleep. I don't remember this, but apparently I said, "I want my cat back" quite a few times. 😥 This was back in 1982.

Later that year, we adopted 2 kittens from a litter of 6 that my aunt found in the street and took to my grandparents' house, including the mother cat. My grandparents adopted the mother and one kitten, I chose 2 kittens and my grandparents found homes for the other 3 kittens. I named our kitties Sooty and Tiger. Sooty was black and Tiger was a dark ginger tabby.

We grew up together. I was 3 when we got them and Sooty especially, was my cat soul mate. We would press our foreheads together from the time I was 4. I had no idea that this was a sign of bonding and trust for cats until a few years ago, but it felt natural so I always did it. He would sleep with me, in my arms, in my bed with his head on my shoulder.

I remember relaxing in bed with him at age 15, watching TV, and crying hysterically into his fur, asking him quietly what would I do without him one day.

In June of 1997, he was diagnosed with cancer. I went numb as soon as I found out. I never showed much emotion to anyone, but I cried every single night for the next year. 3 months after he got sick, we had to say goodbye. He was 16 years old, and we held him in our arms as he went to sleep at the vet the day before my 19th birthday. I never got over losing him.

His brother Tiger was not the same after. He wilted. They had always been so close. Never fought. Slept together a lot, cuddled up. 6 months later, we had to say goodbye to Tiger too, from kidney failure. He was almost 17 and I was 19. I was numb again. It felt like my childhood was officially over.

6 weeks later, a little cat appeared at our door. And kept appearing each day. We weren't ready for another cat yet, but he was hungry so my mum bought some cat food for him. He was very clingy and would knead and suck on a blanket on my mum's shoulder. We think he lost his mother early and he was very well cared for so may have lived with an elderly person who perhaps died.

We put up signs looking for his owner, but no one came, so eventually, he adopted us. We named him Maxi. He was a black and white tuxedo cat. By now I was at university and was torn about having a new cat. I was still numb about losing my childhood cat brothers. But I soon grew to love Maxi.

I moved out of home and to a different state at 25 years old, and the apartment I rented didn't allow pets, but over the 5 years I lived there, 2 cats at different times, who lived downstairs, claimed me as their own and would follow me up the stairs, hang out in my place for hours and then refuse to leave, and literally sit on me. lol. Their names were Charlie (white bobtail) and Frankie (grey long hair). I cried when Charlie and her family moved away, and then I cried when I moved away and had to say goodbye to Frankie.

After that I bought my own place and was very excited to be able to have my own cats again. My partner and I wanted 2. We rescued Monty, my pale ginger / champagne tabby medium haired furbaby from a homeless cat shelter, and we adopted Dweezil, a silver tabby Manx breed, from my home state. They arrived a day apart and were born 2 weeks apart. Adopted brothers. We were so excited the first time we came into the bedroom, turned the light on and found them on the bed grooming each other. lol.

They mostly got on well, with a few incidents that were stressful. Dweezy was of delicate health and had urinary infections regularly and colds. Then he scratched his eye and needed the lens smoothed over. Then be became fixated with his nose and a lump grew there from over rubbing. Thankfully it wasn't cancerous and was just a growth of inflamed cells, which was removed and left no scar.

Meanwhile, Monty would sometimes be naughty and toilet inappropriately on the carpet, much to Dweezy's disapproval.

7 years ago, at age 16, Maxi passed away in his sleep. Sigh. I still miss him.

6 years ago, Dweezy was diagnosed with Diabetes. We became complete helicopter parents, checking his pee, measuring his water, making sure his food had no carbs in it, and giving him 2 injections of insulin each day. We saved his life many times, at first when his body would react to the insulin too well and his blood sugar would drop dangerously low, and later on, when his body wouldn't respond enough to the insulin and his blood sugar would get dangerously high. We almost lost him twice within the last year. Our wonderful vet saved him.

Dweezy was another cat soul mate for me. He would follow me around. I could read his mind and he could hear me calling him in my head. 3.5 years ago, at the age of 9.5, we had to say goodbye as he was so ill. Again, I held him. My baby. I will never be the same. I ache for him everyday. I have completely blocked out the hours and days after he left. I just can't remember a single thing. I don't even know how we got home from the vet.

I now worry about my baby Monty, who will turn 13 soon. I can't believe how quickly the years go.

M

morty2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Think i said this before but after my last cat being so ill and me so distraught im now afraid to get another cat. I want one badly but i think of silly things like Fire when im out,illness of myself. I get too attached and dont want to not go out because im worried about the cat. Its difficult in my mind. She was my bestie,and her predecessor too. Im working out how to get over this.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I feel that. After my fluff baby Monty is gone, I am going to be too young to NEVER have a cat again. I just must have one, even though I also get too attached. (my attitude towards that is "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.")

I'll always be terrified any future cat I had would get Diabetes, as my chronic fears of losing my baby Dweezil and then actually losing him, has left me with PTSD. HE was never a burden. HE brought only love and joy to my life and he was my heart. But the relentless fear...it haunts me, along with the absolute devastation that I'll never see him again.

The only peace I get is that these little furry angels come into our lives for only a short time, and they are basically vessels of love. They teach us unconditional love. They are pure, innocent and vulnerable. Reliant on us. And we love them SO much and sometimes drive ourselves insane trying to help or save them. But for them, all they need is love (and lots and lots of pet food. lol)

M

morty2

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I SO agree with what you said Stevie Sloth!!..And your right about the Tis better to have loved. It was so painful,i thought i would break literally. I dont think ive actually touched a cat since and i hate it... I cried next to her in my bed and cried to god to take this little soul and take care of her!. Never prayed like that before!.EVER!. I had more time with the second cat,the first was quick im sorry to say. They were both so different in personality.