• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Personality vs Dissociative disorder?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm not sure where to post this.

What do you do when the people diagnosing you can't decide between Borderline and Dissociative Identity Disorder?

I got Borderline plus DD/NOS. Like that really helps.

The treatment for one is discouraged for the other. Give me a break! What now?

Can anyone identify with this?

T

Twylight

I'm no expert:

but I thought dissociation, was a symptom of borderline ?

A

Apotheosis

I'm not sure where to post this.

What do you do when the people diagnosing you can't decide between Borderline and Dissociative Identity Disorder?

I got Borderline plus DD/NOS. Like that really helps.

The treatment for one is discouraged for the other. Give me a break! What now?

Can anyone identify with this?
Sorry to be slow - Is DD - Dual Diagnosis? & is NOS - Not otherwise specified?

Can't Borderline have elements of dissociation? I know DID is different.

How do you feel about the validity of these diagnoses? I don't mean that what you are experiencing isn't real - far from it - From your own understandings; what makes more sense as a diagnosis? Do you think the diagnosis are a valid & accurate way of addressing what you are experiencing; & an accurate descriptor for your 'condition'?

Sorry for all the questions.

I have had varied diagnoses. For the past 10 years 'they' - the Doc's have generally settled for 'paranoid schizophrenia' - it's a label, a word. Yes it is referring to an underlying 'condition'. But I find it far from accurate; & I don't find the label helpful. 8 years ago the label was removed & I was told it had been a miss-diagnosis - then it was reinstated a couple of years later.

When I read about the experiences & symptoms of different mental illness I can identify with different aspects of many things, to a degree, from one time/episode or another. I have had a lot of depression; I have been able to identify with aspects of Bi polar. In my 20's I had a diagnosis of 'psychotic depression' - which seemed like them telling me nonsense at the time. A few years ago a psychiatrist questioned whether it was more in line with Schizoaffective disorder. Last year another psychiatrist told me I wasn't displaying any symptoms. Again in my 20's I was told during one hospitalisation that I was suffering 'the resurfacing of an unknown psychotic illness'. I don't put much stock in the whole orthodox paradigm & pathology.

I know many people disagree with this disdain for the Bio-Medical model; but that's me. I'd go as far as to say that there is an aspect of something generalised, a commonality that underlies many of what these 'psychiatric labels' are referring to, at the root. I know that is preposterous to some.

Whether we can find the most satisfactory & accurate diagnosis & most effective chemical intervention - I still personally think that this is but one part of many things that can help improve things, & help deal with a MH condition.

Still - I hope that you can find some resolution & clarity to things with the shrinks Ms_P

Sorry I can't be more help.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
DD/NOS = Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

I have sides to me but...they have no names...so I'm not multiple.

Dissociation is a frequent part of borderline, yet I feel the term borderline is met with misrepresentation. Difficult, annoying women are borderline. Sometimes men, but less common. C'mon.

Try being borderline!, and all that it entails. The symptoms, the reasons, the brain disorder that's not understood.

It can be measured as can schizophrenia!

Dig up the past, don't dig up the past.
CBT, DBT, meds, no meds. I'm losing faith.
Mad dogs get put down, don't they?!

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
No,...we're not dogs. Yet I feel dogs are treated better than we are.

A

Apotheosis

No,...we're not dogs. Yet I feel dogs are treated better than we are.
In some circumstances, yes they are - I know anti-psychotics can sometimes be administered to animals, & in the case of dogs; a vet will not prescribe them longer than 6 weeks - because of the potential damage they can cause, & danger to the animal. I know physiology is different - but still, that says something.

Some of what I have gone through; an animal wouldn't go through. I think of death too; a lot, I always have done. But death (along with sex) are very powerful conditions that have huge motivation in life; whatever conscious degree of awareness people have around them or not.

I do understand to a degree Ms_P - some days I fall into a bottomless pit & utterly despair of things - But other days there are moments of enjoyment, satisfaction, & I would say happiness, & glimpses of peace of mind. It isn't all 'down'.

On Tuesday, & Wednesday I genuinely forgot to take the tablets, it happens sometimes. I remembered I hadn't taken them for two days. I decided to leave it until Thursday to take them. I didn't feel unwell, I felt calmer, clearer headed, more alert & aware, & I had far more well being, & no psychotic symptoms. Due to past experience I decided to take them, & at 3pm I took them - I felt dizzy, fuzzy headed, & like shit afterwards. Its been 11 years on this med & I'm totally sick of taking it. & the reality is that I don't think it does me any good at all. But there is no understanding or support in my life. If I had proper support from the LMHT, friends & family around this issue; then I would have loved to have just not carried on taking them the other day. If I had proper support I would stop them immediately. But I don't have any support around this.

I mentioned it to my Bro & he reacts as he always does with extreme anger & shouting & didn't listen to a word I said. But that's the reaction I get. I didn't mention it to my mum, because the reaction from her would have been just as unhealthy. I love my Brother to death - but this reaction to 'the meds' doesn't help me & it never has done.

I can't give in to the anger, & the sense of extreme injustice - or it consumes me. If I dwell on certain aspects of my situation I feel swallowed by the hopelessness & pointlessness of it all; & all the wasted years stuck on meds; having to deal largely with things alone - I am not relating what I am about to say in any way to you - two people close to me have committed suicide - it upset & angered me that they chose that way; it was a waste, but a part of me can also see the logic in such acts - I am not suicidal - but I don't judge such a thing as morally wrong in certain situations.

The other day the news was reporting on a 'schizophrenic' who murdered 4 people; ended up in a secure hospital & killed himself; then this week was the story of the German kid who has shot all his school mates & then himself. I feel deeply sorry & saddened for these people. I don't condone what they did, I feel sorry for the victims families. It seems more & more we hear of these incidents. I can identify with the mindset they must have been in. I would not commit such acts - there is a safety valve in my head - but I have some compassion for those that do - I feel I have some understanding of what drives them to it. I expect that saying this is controversial to some; but that's the way I see it. It is a reflection of society; & it says something deeply profound about humanity & the way people are treated - that certain 'types' of people; for whatever the logic & reason; believe that the best course of action is to take out as many people as possible & then themselves.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I understand everything you've said in your post, Apo.

I think I described myself slaughtering my neighbors, getting a gun and climbing a church tower (to be blunt about it) in my blog, because I'm so angry, misunderstood, in pain...

I also wondered if the Seroquel I'm on is for my benefit or for my neighbors, if you know what I mean.

I've got a brother, too. He's 10 years my senior and lives in the states. Our conversations go no further than the weather and price of fuel. That's the way he wants it, that's the way it is. I could scream.

Hoping you're feeling good tonight. :hug::hug:

A

Apotheosis

I also wondered if the Seroquel I'm on is for my benefit or for my neighbors, if you know what I mean.
Of course, exactly.

Someone who used to post here used to say - that there are 3 separate & wholly different understandings, reasons, & perspectives for medication. There are the personal reasons, & perspectives, of the person on the meds. There is the perceived benefit, & different perspectives of family, friends, & the wider society. & there is again another different perspective from the people who prescribe & enforce such drugs. Each separate perspective has it's 'rights' & 'wrongs'. Largely I am on prescribed drugs directly because of the wishes & will of others. It isn't, & never has been my free choice.

I've got a brother, too. He's 10 years my senior and lives in the states. Our conversations go no further than the weather and price of fuel. That's the way he wants it, that's the way it is. I could scream.
I am very close to my Bro - in other ways we are like Cat & Dog.

Hoping you're feeling good tonight. :hug::hug:
I'm OK - feeling a bit dizzy. Hope your OK too. :hug:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I feel so bad I posted my feelings about killing someone and then in the news there's the german boy who kills 15 people and then himself.

What seperates him from me?? Is it merely my sense of (false) hope?

Because I'm female?

The world is spinning so fast...so many people don't know how to handle it...

This techno age we live in which is supposed to make life easier...has made life unbearable instead.

A

Apotheosis

I feel so bad I posted my feelings about killing someone and then in the news there's the german boy who kills 15 people and then himself.

Try not to feel bad about it - I posted that I feel compassion for them & I can identify with their state of mind.

I don't know, & I don't think anyone knows what pushes some people just that bit further into committing horrific acts. I know; along with the majority of people - that there is a safety valve in my head that has always stopped me acting violently to others. There has always been a 'moral compass' within me; that even when in states of utter terror, wrath, & 'psychosis'; in the past; a frame work of right & wrong has been strong enough 'in' me, to display a degree of restraint & control over my actions, & to have been able to consider the well-being of others & consequences of certain actions.

Is that our upbringing, or something deeper?

This techno age we live in which is supposed to make life easier...has made life unbearable instead.
Technology can be used creatively. or destructively; that is our own choice & the choices of the wider society & the World. I don't think technological advancement can be stopped - it is inevitable. especially with computerised systems; upon which we are already almost totally dependant - but that can be taken as a good thing; & I think we should embrace advanced technologies.

I do understand what you are saying; & it is a complex question. Personally I don't doubt that society & certain environmental circumstances are at the root cause of the extreme reactions of certain people. That would mean the solution is also one in which we more closely look at the ways in which we are living & the ways in which society is organised.

Towards the end of school & for some years afterwards - I had a dream that I wanted to spend some time in the middle of a desert - no people, no evidence of 'mankind' - just me, nature, & possibly God. Such a dream still appeals - these days I'd prefer to be in a remote forest region.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Thankfully (?), I've got that valve too. I only ever psychically hurt myself...no one else. :unsure:

dib4uk

dib4uk

Thankfully (?), I've got that valve too. I only ever psychically hurt myself...no one else. :unsure:
I think thats the difference between people who self harm and people who harm others.

I dont know I wish I had the anserws- but sadly I've got more questions than answers and I'm going around and around in circles.

:eek:

F

fairydust78

Because I'm female?

The world is spinning so fast...so many people don't know how to handle it...

Hello Ms P

What makes you different is that you have not acted on your impulses.

I have just registered on this forum today as my brother has finally admitted to me that he has been diagnosed with PD. I want to try and get a better understanding of this illness as i know nothing about it or how i can be there for him.My parents are useless and have completley buried their head in the sand so i thought i'd do some research on my own.