personality problem or intelligence problem?

K

KS1

I feel that I lack the intelligence to deal with things in my day to day life...I mean compared to others, I lack the common sense to perform something...I mean that sounds stupid and funny but I feel sad and so frustrated about my lack of thinking and personality....and perhaps it might be because I'm not much experienced...
I find people are more smarter than I am and I feel I'm foolish....

Skynet

Skynet

I have a similar problem: I can do university level math but can't do basic math quickly like counting change. Basically, I'm good at reasoning but poor at calculation.

fazza

fazza

I am terrible at reasoning and terrible at calculation. However I am a great quizzer and absorb general Knowledge like a sponge.

Don't ever feel foolish. Every personality is special regardless of intelligence.

In my gcse exam I received a "u" grade in maths. I am thick as hell according to the education system yet I have happiness in myself and I Know all I need to know to get me through life.

Also don't worry about common sense. You are you just like I am me. My friends have far more common sense than me but I don't want to be like them. They may be smarter when it comes to common sense but I feel more complete than they can ever feel

RoseGoldBoi

RoseGoldBoi

I was tested and got a low IQ. The doctor listed a bunch of reasons and things in life. He also told my mom "not to show it to him because it will make him feel bad". As if I wouldn't notice that no one would give me the results. Feeling inadequate takes a toll on mental health.

F

forumuser23

I was tested and got a low IQ. The doctor listed a bunch of reasons and things in life. He also told my mom "not to show it to him because it will make him feel bad". As if I wouldn't notice that no one would give me the results. Feeling inadequate takes a toll on mental health.
well for someone you say yourself as having a "low IQ", you could have wrote in lower case and not proper or perfect punctuation or grammar, and i would have not cared about this much, so as long as i can understand what you're saying. this is how i normally type and i do not judge someone's intelligence solely or at first glance based off whether they can type in proper or the best punctuation unless i just do not like the person and / or they are not a reasonable and considerate person. heck, if i didn't feel as pressured or distressed by societal expectations, i would have even typed something like my high school essay papers in lower case, not the best punctuation just to show that i don't give a fuck and this is what my normal capacity is, of course, doing so would have made me not pass high school which i only passed barely anyways, i had failed initially the high school exit exam for the math and english portion the first time, and i believe i barely passed the second time, while people would joke around on it being soo pathetically easy.

btw, i was tested by a psychologist several years back ( right now currently age 26 ) and the results came out as "average". although i never got a specific number for my IQ, what i already knew was the flaws in IQ and general functioning, at least with the average range, since it's soo broad, two people can be labelled as average but their quality of life and functioning can be very different, and this isn't necessarily comparing someone with an IQ with for example, 109 vs 89, with the assumption that 85-115 is the average range. it could be someone with an IQ of 91 being a lot more functional than someone with an IQ of 94. now the specific IQ test i did from a psychologist was i believe the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale or something along that. at that time, i was given the diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder and major depression, more recently, i was given the diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder.

now the test didn't tell me anything more than i already knew which is that i CAN be functional but just barely, and that barely has to do with being well...barely average in IQ. yes, of course mental illness plays a role, etc, but i see my "illnesses" or impairments having to do with limited capacity due to the way that i am and how my personality is. for example, i score low on ego strength and ego strength is a very important aspect for overall life quality and functioning, regardless of whether you are mentally ill / unstable or not. this was not surprise to me because i always knew that my functioning and depression has / had to do with being inferior, and being different from other people, not different in a good way, different in a bad way, because often people will say that being different can be a good thing or beneficial, but for me, these differences were again from being inferior related highly to the personality model that composes of 4 facets, one of which is emotional reactivity. if you go on youtube, you'll understand what i mean after you look into the video about personality disorders by dr. nochum andrew, it is one of the few videos that communicates personality disorders more effectively / realistically and properly. listed below -

RoseGoldBoi

RoseGoldBoi

well for someone you say yourself as having a "low IQ", you could have wrote in lower case and not proper or perfect punctuation or grammar, and i would have not cared about this much, so as long as i can understand what you're saying. this is how i normally type and i do not judge someone's intelligence solely or at first glance based off whether they can type in proper or the best punctuation unless i just do not like the person and / or they are not a reasonable and considerate person. heck, if i didn't feel as pressured or distressed by societal expectations, i would have even typed something like my high school essay papers in lower case, not the best punctuation just to show that i don't give a fuck and this is what my normal capacity is, of course, doing so would have made me not pass high school which i only passed barely anyways, i had failed initially the high school exit exam for the math and english portion the first time, and i believe i barely passed the second time, while people would joke around on it being soo pathetically easy.

btw, i was tested by a psychologist several years back ( right now currently age 26 ) and the results came out as "average". although i never got a specific number for my IQ, what i already knew was the flaws in IQ and general functioning, at least with the average range, since it's soo broad, two people can be labelled as average but their quality of life and functioning can be very different, and this isn't necessarily comparing someone with an IQ with for example, 109 vs 89, with the assumption that 85-115 is the average range. it could be someone with an IQ of 91 being a lot more functional than someone with an IQ of 94. now the specific IQ test i did from a psychologist was i believe the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale or something along that. at that time, i was given the diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder and major depression, more recently, i was given the diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder.

now the test didn't tell me anything more than i already knew which is that i CAN be functional but just barely, and that barely has to do with being well...barely average in IQ. yes, of course mental illness plays a role, etc, but i see my "illnesses" or impairments having to do with limited capacity due to the way that i am and how my personality is. for example, i score low on ego strength and ego strength is a very important aspect for overall life quality and functioning, regardless of whether you are mentally ill / unstable or not. this was not surprise to me because i always knew that my functioning and depression has / had to do with being inferior, and being different from other people, not different in a good way, different in a bad way, because often people will say that being different can be a good thing or beneficial, but for me, these differences were again from being inferior related highly to the personality model that composes of 4 facets, one of which is emotional reactivity. if you go on youtube, you'll understand what i mean after you look into the video about personality disorders by dr. nochum andrew, it is one of the few videos that communicates personality disorders more effectively / realistically and properly. listed below -

Functioning at different levels is such a valuable point. What wasn't really fair to me when I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 19 is that 19 is the age where you are really ripe for attempting Life independence and I feel like I didn't even get a chance to. People didn't even let me try and slapped a label on me and told me I couldn't do it because "the papers say so". Then the same docter who diagnosed me never looked at my IQ assessment and when he finally did two years later he said he made a misdiagnoses and diagnosed me with being developmentallt delayed. This made me distrust doctors. What irks me the most is that it took 19 years to get diagnosed with anything in general.People tell me that 'I slipped through the cracks" and nobody caught on because of the way I talk/express myself . I was put into programs with (pardon my political incorrectness, msg me if this offends you) drooling window lickers, who can't carry a conversation because there weren't any programs with high functioning clients. The workers were the worst part because they assume you're just like the other programs, it took mental effort to not snap at them and say "Excuse me, do not talk to me like I'm a toddler.". After awhile my mother eventually saw things from my perspective and took me out of the programs. Its funny, you go through out highschool with normal functioning friends, graduate like everyone else then have a docter tell you that you're retarded in a polite way.

E

EstherRose94

Yikes. I think you SHOULD have said don’t talk to me like a toddler. I’ve volunteered in similar places and it irks me to no end to see people talk to even profoundly handicapped individuals as if they were toddlers. As a college kid when I volunteered, I was younger than all the clients. I talked to them like I’d talk to my parents’ friends or my grandparents. It doesn’t matter if they don’t understand every word you say, they understand that they’re being treated with dignity and it makes a world of difference.

I can’t imagine being as high functioning as you are and being in a place like that. Kudos for not going bananas. I think I might have.

IQ tests don’t measure “intelligence” btw, they only measure certain specific things. Some dude decided those things were intelligence when he wrote the exam. And then he tested a bunch of people, shared the exam, docs started using it, here we are today. It doesn’t mean as much as you think.

E

EstherRose94

The guy I knew best there was almost totally nonverbal (at least there, he’d speak to family and friends but he was very hard to understand and obviously was aware of that because he didn’t even try with most people). But he could comprehend language fairly well as long as it was straight forward. And he was a super perfectionist to boot, so the mix of people assuming he couldn’t understand words, him not being able to clearly tell them that he could, and the fact that he knew enough to be embarrassed and self critical over it all was a real train wreck and really hard to watch. It wasn’t the best place for him or probably for anyone there as they were mostly capable of so much more but it was convenient for the workers to run things the way they did. It was understaffed and under funded.

But yeah there’s gotta be a better way. Especially for you, like I’m sure that you can find your way to doing something you love that can be productive too.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Years ago when I was seeing a psychologist did an in test on me. One of the pictures was of a rowing boat with two oars balanced. I was asked what was missing and I said no ones in the boat. To which I was told I was wrong. He said it was the hooks that secure the oars that was missing. I replied well if no one was in it the oars should have been laid down inside! And reluctantly he had to admit I was right. And I got a very high score of 137

E

EstherRose94

Years ago when I was seeing a psychologist did an in test on me. One of the pictures was of a rowing boat with two oars balanced. I was asked what was missing and I said no ones in the boat. To which I was told I was wrong. He said it was the hooks that secure the oars that was missing. I replied well if no one was in it the oars should have been laid down inside! And reluctantly he had to admit I was right. And I got a very high score of 137
Yes the scoring on those things is very frustrating!

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I also think intelligence and common sense are two totally different things. My ex was extremely intelligent with a degree. But he didn’t have an ounce of common sense and couldn’t do the basic everyday things or see the outcome of his actions.

E

EstherRose94

I also think intelligence and common sense are two totally different things. My ex was extremely intelligent with a degree. But he didn’t have an ounce of common sense and couldn’t do the basic everyday things or see the outcome of his actions.
Haha that’s me! Like I know I could do very well on an IQ test but I can still easily get lost in the city I’ve lived in for three years and I think we know which would pose the bigger problem. Like “nobody is in the boat” is a way more practical response than “the hooks are missing”. Because sure there aren’t hooks but that thing’s not going anywhere anyway.

T

Trekster33

I remember someone sitting me down and drawing a bell curve. "Everyone else's social skills are really good up here" she told me. "Yours are really poor down here" she also told me. Considering I was told age 7 I had an IQ of 5 and I now volunteer with vulnerable adults I haven't done that badly.

The more people tell me I can't do something the more I'm tempted to rebel. Social injustice irks me the most.

Of course on forums like these i would try and discuss stuff with a moderator to make sure I did understand what was expected of me. That's how I try and counteract the "but this person maybe trying to help and telling me something that's reasonable" difficulties.