• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

personal relationships

R

rcc8128

i have just renewed contact with an old friend i have not seen for 7 years. when we first met we were both in relationships and remained at the friends/flirting stage. now we are both single and we just talked as though i had last seen her yesterday. i have borderline personality disorder and i am scared i will ruin another good friendship by my obsessive behaviour. can anyone please give me some tips on how to proceed. thank you :)

J

jamesdean

There is nothing more natural than being yourself it sounds to me that this relationship is going to be positive for both of you and I think it will have enough strength to be able to be honest though like me its not a cure form mentalwealth sometimes/somedays try to cope with has much has you can by yourself. I try to treat my mental wealth like ajob so I try to come home from work n try to have days off it doesnt really work like that but @least I'm trying

dib4uk

dib4uk

rcc8128, awww well maybe its the 2nd time around, and I'm assuming that before you was at that flirting stage you had borderline personality disorder before? Dont be soo hard on yourself, just cause u have bpd dont mean that you're forever gonna have bad relationships.

Just rememember to breathe, and take it easy, and give you and the other person space, and when you feel yourself slidding or getting worse cool things down a bit= or get reasurance from someone that you trust.

But good luck. :p:grouphug:

F

funkymunky79

i have just renewed contact with an old friend i have not seen for 7 years. when we first met we were both in relationships and remained at the friends/flirting stage. now we are both single and we just talked as though i had last seen her yesterday. i have borderline personality disorder and i am scared i will ruin another good friendship by my obsessive behaviour. can anyone please give me some tips on how to proceed. thank you :)
I understand where you are coming from here, but don't beat yourself up and just take it easy.

I have had a few relationships go wrong and the one I am in isn't the best due to my PD, however if they truly care about you they will do everything to support you and understand.

As quoted before "not all relationships are going to be bad"!

I would make this person aware that you have BPD, however don't overload them at first as this can scare them off. Let them in slowly and build up trust first.

I wish you all the best and hope I haven't just talked a load of rubbish.

(y)

R

rcc8128

thanks

thanks everybody for taking the trouble to send me advice, which was all received gratefully. i have told my friend that i can't see her anymore as my fear of rejection is greater than my need for a relationship. many thanks for your support and good wishes, all the best, richard x