• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

person centered therapy

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Yes I've allways liked Rogers.

In my experience I have found that practitioners use elements of Rogers with other approaches and rarely rely upon Rogers as a pure approach, the exception to this is I guess counselling which more frequently uses a purely Rogerian approach.

I allways like the metaphor of the tree - give it air, light and water and it will grow. Good stuff though sometimes I think we need a little more specific input as we can get stuck.

S

saffron

Thats a good point, sometimes we do need a little more guidance to help us focus on particular things.
Counselors are trained in specific ways depending on what approach they want to practice where I think practitioners apply lots of approaches learnt when they do psychology as a whole.
I think though that it certainly has its merits of helping people be less reliant on someone else making their decisions for them or tell them what or what not to do or tell them how they feel and why they are feeling it, only the person knows that. and the aim is overtime the person will accept themselves better and accept their feelings.
Interesting stuff
S

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
...I guess that clients in crisis (me being one of them) are often depserate to be told what to do to make a difference and this can often lead in the wrong direction.

S

saffron

I think although people should be guided by therapists in some circumstances the final decision and belief in its efficacy will be with the person themselves.
I think the aim is to allow people to find their own feet and become more independent on their thinking and being.
I found it gave me the strength to make my own decisions, it helped me to be able to look deeper into why I felt, behaved and thought in certain ways and what I could do about it without panicking that I could never do it on my own.
It also helped me feel better in myself I could be more honest with myself and gradually lower my defenses. I definately feel stronger as a person. although I still have way to go. And while my self esteem is improving I am able to accept myself better. (its the other buggers I dont trust) but at least I can trust myself to make the right decisions now. !
glad you found the article helpful and interesting.

what does everyone else think.?

S

Magenta

Magenta

...I guess that clients in crisis (me being one of them) are often depserate to be told what to do to make a difference and this can often lead in the wrong direction.
I think that is SO true. I know myself when I was depressed that I wanted someone to tell me what was wrong and fix it, but it was only when I went to counselling and was allowed to unravel it all for mysefl that I felt better.

Now I am the counsellor and I use the person centered approach for my clients. :)

S

saffron

Thats fantastic Magenta, where did you train? if you dont mind me asking.:)

I did the counselling concepts level one and started the ABC course in counselling and that was aimed in you practising PCT. unfortunately I was unable to finish due to my own issues, but I agree in the therapy. I will hopefully go back and finish.
How did you find the course?
S