• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Persistent paranoia

M

Maina

My father is constantly paranoid, and nothing I say (truth or lie) will stop it. For the past week, he keeps searching for old papers, books, etc. anything that can be considered a threat...to the money.

He is currently recovering after getting hit by a truck. His memory is slowly recovering, however...he REFUSES to believe he is sick, and constantly insists he has recovered, and whoever dares say otherwise, is considered an enemy conspiring against him for his money...including me and my mother.

I have no way of talking to him. He thinks he knows EVERYTHING and desires nothing more but to kindly (and personally) fix all the problems that in fact, do not exist.

I need immediate help.
He intends to burn every piece of paper he doesn't remember and finds a threat, and nothing I say makes sense to him, instead, I'M the crazy one.

P.S. His ability to think and talk are also recovering. So many words he doesn't understand, yet.:panic::panic::panic:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it must be really difficult for you.
Just to clarify, is his behaviour a result of the accident?
If it is, I can't say I know much about mental health symptoms brought on by injury.

Does he still have medical appointments to go to? It sounds like he isn't going to get better overnight.
Do you think it would make you feel better to speak to his doctor or whoever is in charge of any after-care and have them talk to you to help you understand what's going on?

Also, have you tried searching to see if there are any support groups for carers/family in your area?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Persistent anxiety Mental Health Experiences 2
L Persistent mood swings, other odd symptoms, please help! Mental Health Experiences 5
S Borderline-paranoia about things other than people Mental Health Experiences 0
R Paranoia, labels, or something else Mental Health Experiences 1
L Paranoia about social media... Mental Health Experiences 14
K Severe paranoia? Mental Health Experiences 6
D Can paranoia/mania happen when you drink too much caffeine? Mental Health Experiences 4
jajingna Phobia vs Paranoia === what's the difference? Mental Health Experiences 1
I Paranoia or shit friend? Aita?? Mental Health Experiences 9
N Helicopters Maddening since Early Week/Anxiety/Paranoia Mental Health Experiences 2
M Son > GP = No help. Paranoia. Mum at wits end Mental Health Experiences 4
J Suffering from Paranoia Mental Health Experiences 3
H Paranoia? Mental Health Experiences 7
A My paranoia is ruining my life. Mental Health Experiences 6
elliepaige20 Paranoia - Fear of being watched/checked up on? Mental Health Experiences 5
Confusedandanxious Anxiety or paranoia? Mental Health Experiences 12
2 Mood episodes, paranoia, visual and sound irritation Mental Health Experiences 2
T Is this paranoia or something else? Mental Health Experiences 2
S Paranoia no, mappa destroyed everything for ten pounds Mental Health Experiences 0
S Wow, paranoia is still there Mental Health Experiences 1
P I’m being consumed by paranoia, and I can’t tell anybody why Mental Health Experiences 1
Katebug Paranoia and feeling distant... Mental Health Experiences 3
C Paranoia makes me unable to trust help! Mental Health Experiences 1
M Drug inducted paranoia will it heal? Mental Health Experiences 3
G Paranoia Mental Health Experiences 7
U paranoia Mental Health Experiences 21
Artmuzz Paranoia and suspicion giving me high anxiety and depression Mental Health Experiences 2
G Paranoia ruining my relationship Mental Health Experiences 1
C Living with paranoia Mental Health Experiences 4
M Update/Paranoia Mental Health Experiences 1
J **Trigger warning, specifics of harm to others* Paranoia and Delusional thoughts Mental Health Experiences 3
R paranoia. So so lonely. Mental Health Experiences 5
K paranoia Mental Health Experiences 3
LORD BURT Sixth Sense Paranoia. Mental Health Experiences 4
ABsea conspiracies and paranoia Mental Health Experiences 5
SabbyJoe Paranoia of reptillians or aliens Mental Health Experiences 7
Emkatz anxiety and paranoia Mental Health Experiences 2
Pandemonia Paranoia, anger and a lot of tired Mental Health Experiences 9
T Is this paranoia? Mental Health Experiences 4
Zanily Paranoia = Loneliness? Mental Health Experiences 57
M is this paranoia? Mental Health Experiences 3
T Paranoia Mental Health Experiences 2
P How do 'they' treat paranoia Mental Health Experiences 15