• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Periods back in recovery

L

L18142

Hi, I am new to this forum and I'm unsure if this is correct or allowed in the ED bit but I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this.
My periods returned about a year ago after they disappeared due to starvation. Since they've been back they have been really painful, making me feel really unwell etc. This never happened 'pre eating disorder', normally i had completely regular painless periods. Now they are irregular, painful and am only bleeding for 3 days whereas before it was like 5 or 6.
Sorry if this is TMI.
Anyone else had anything like this?
:)

lyesander

lyesander

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do know starvation can impact your cycle. For me it actually extended my period, drawing it out to two weeks in length vs 5-6 days. Talk to your doctor about birth control as a way to regulate your periods, otherwise mitigate it with general OTC pain meds, and it will eventually adjust on its own.

L

Llbd2355

Yes, this is normal. I’m an athlete and I went from being extremely thin and losing my period, to now gaining weight and my cycle being so off! I just got my period this week for the first time in 2 months and it’s heavy and I’m super Emo and actually making me relapse on my binge eating disorder! Oddly enough I just posted in this forum asking about period binges and how I can get them under control! So I’m with you! You can def regulate with birth control but for instance, I don’t want to do this because I’m petrified of gaining weight! So I’m actually going to try this herbal med called, moody bird. It might help you? Look on amazon. I’m waiting for more answers on my Thread as well! If I hear more I’ll let you kno :)