• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

PERFORMANCE ANXIETY AT WORK

N

nickthegreek

I'm in the very lengthy process of getting promoted to a manager at work (this year to manage the day to day stuff and next year to start managing people). I am a person who is taking work very seriously and I also suffer from performance and perfection anxiety! I feel my managers do not want me to start managing other people within the team even if I'm going through the transition to a manager (people management experience is key to become a manager). No one really told me that face to face but I know other people from the same team who were going through the same process had been given the opportunity to manage others straight away. Should I push them/ keep asking them or that would make them angry? Should I stop worrying too much about it since the initial deal was me to start managing people from 2022? Do you think I am overthinking? I just don't want anyone to come back to me in a years time and tell me "well, you did not have people management experience so we cannot really promote you right now"... Any advice please?

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

You are overthinking. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. Do they know anything about your poor mental health? Mine do and they are supportive. It sounds to me like they are interested in you, and they are willing to make allowances for you. I take that as a win for you. The worst thing you can do is worry about not performing (I have an issue with that as well) at work. You are carrying around extra baggage you don’t need. Take your time and be accurate with your work. Speed will come later.

i think you should keep your head down give your best performance.

A

albagobragh

I'm inclined to agree with @TooMuchPain and think you may be overthinking. I don't know how your employer supports training, but you could always suggest attending a people management course or suchlike if you are worried though.

N

nickthegreek

You are overthinking. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. Do they know anything about your poor mental health? Mine do and they are supportive. It sounds to me like they are interested in you, and they are willing to make allowances for you. I take that as a win for you. The worst thing you can do is worry about not performing (I have an issue with that as well) at work. You are carrying around extra baggage you don’t need. Take your time and be accurate with your work. Speed will come later.

i think you should keep your head down give your best performance.
@TooMuchPain thanks for your answer. The promotion process in my company is ridiculously slow. They told me from January 2021 and for 1 year to manage the function and if everything goes well from January 2022 they will give me people management experience as well and I'll be in the list to get promoted (the list is getting shortened 4 times until the final promotions in December). People management I believe is key for the role I'm going for that's why I'd like to push. However, I do not want to push that much and make them angry BUT at the same time I do not want them to take advantage of me. A lady who became recently manager was managing people 1.5 year before her actual promotion... I guess I'm overanalysing instead of wait and see what will happen by End Of the Year?

N

nickthegreek

I'm inclined to agree with @TooMuchPain and think you may be overthinking. I don't know how your employer supports training, but you could always suggest attending a people management course or suchlike if you are worried though.
@albagobragh thanks! Yes I'm doing these....I'll also start 1 to 1 meetings with colleagues from the team in another country so I can get some mentoring/ management experience too which will prepare me for the official management in my team.